1235 users online (227 members and 1008 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Man Shot HIMSELF While Handcuffed?

Man Shot While Handcuffed: FBI Investigating

Police say 21-year-old Chavis Carter shot himself in the head while handcuffed in the back of a police car in Jonesboro, Ark. His family members think it's impossible that he pulled the trigger on himself, and believe the officers were responsible and are trying to cover it up.

I think family has a good point.

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/fbi-inve...ile-handcuffed
    Last edited by songline; 08-04-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick.

We're flexible like that.

From Huffington: "We’ve reviewed the dashcam video and as late as today managed to have some witnesses come forward that observed the incident from start to finish," Yates said. "And their statements tend to support that whatever transpired in the back of that police car transpired in the back with the officers in a different location.”

The italics are mine.

The dashcam will show if the kid shot himself or not. Either way, someone messed up big time.

Well, seems like the dashcam cuts off before the shooting, then picks up again after the body was found. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...m_hp_ref=crime

I do not believe this is what happened, not for one second. I was born at night, but not last night.
    JMO, MOO, Doing my best. I am not perfect and I don't expect you to be either.

I wonder if anyone has considered that perhaps he did shoot himself without meaning to. Handling a gun while in handcuffs would obviously be tricky but not impossible. I could see how trying to maneuver a gun around with handcuffs might be a bit more likely to go off unintentionally.

In July there was a woman somewhere around St Louis who shot herself while in custody in the back of a police car too. I don't know if she was in handcuffs though.

"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler".

Albert Einstein

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”.

Mahatma Gandhi

Autopsy shows he had meth and other drugs in his system.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...425_story.html
    Just my opinion

I read where they said what what kind of gun was used and it was cheap small caliber pistol that didn't have any good review. So with that said I could not image a cop carrying not even as a back. So that make me think he brought it into the car with him.

Meth users do some insane things. I just don't know.

It would be pretty bold for 2 cops to shoot a guy in the head and think they would get away with it. Or one to do it and the other cop not turn on him.
    [/I]

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...ultiple-drugs/

Chavis Carter autopsy rules handcuffed Ark. man's death a suicide, finds multiple drugs

An Arkansas medical examiner has ruled that Chavis Carter, the 21-year-old man killed by a gunshot wound to the head while handcuffed in the back of a police car, committed suicide.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

What could possibly be the reason for cops to shot him? I can see cops roughing someone up, but why in the world would they shoot this guy as he sat in a car? I think he did hide that gun in the car and then manage to shoot himself. Who knows why-but there were drugs in his system.
    Just my opinion

Not to mention, the articles say "witnesses".
    So, why would cops shoot someone in the head in a police car with witnesses around?

I'm looking forward to hearing more on this from the FBI.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

I get hink all over this one. They searched him, found a small dime bag of marijauana, but failed to find a handgun secreted somewhere on his person? This one bothers me a bunch but before I decide I know there was wrongdoing on the part of LE I will attempt to restrain myself til this has been thoroughly investigated.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    I get hink all over this one. They searched him, found a small dime bag of marijauana, but failed to find a handgun secreted somewhere on his person? This one bothers me a bunch but before I decide I know there was wrongdoing on the part of LE I will attempt to restrain myself til this has been thoroughly investigated.
    From what I read, they did a quick pat down and put him in the car not hancuffed. Then took him back out, did a more detailed search, cuffed him, and put him back in the car.

So, the thinking there is he may have stowed the gun in the car the first time he was put in.

I am glad though that the investigation is in the FBI's hands.
    I hope answers come soon for all involved.

JMO

ETA:
    Carter was searched twice, and police said they found a small amount of marijuana but no gun. After the first search, an officer put Carter into a patrol car without handcuffing him. He was later searched again, handcuffed and returned to the same car.

"It's obvious they did miss the weapon on the first search. It is likely, since he was placed into the car un-handcuffed the first time, that he had an opportunity to stash the weapon in the car," Jonesboro Police Chief Michael Yates said last week. "The second search, which was more thorough and inclusive, did not disclose the weapon either."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/21...#ixzz24C4j6QDz
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Kimberly, that paints a better picture at least.

I have learned not to jump to conclusions after that Duke LaCrosse case.
    [/I]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast