1071 users online (218 members and 853 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27
Results 391 to 401 of 401
  1. #391
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central Georgia, USA
    Posts
    4,658
    I've got to 'fess up: After Gary Lavergne publicly stated he was no relation to Brandon, I put the Lavergne book, Bad Boy (about McDuff) down and haven't finished it. I've been having some stressful times in my personal life and then with all that was happening in Mickey's case -- well, I was just getting too "dark". I had to back off from reading about McDuff for awhile.

    Did any of the rest of you who were reading it finish? It was well-written, I thought, from what I read.
    Last edited by Backwoods; 08-18-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: wrong word

  2. #392
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    37,778
    I wonder if this thread should even exist...at least as far as mentioning a possible relationship...clearly, there is NOT one. BL may or may not have read any number of books on true crime, maybe he read the one about Derrick Lee, since he used Whiskey Bay. But there is no reason he would have read this one, IMO, any more than any other, since the author is not related.
    Just my opinion, of course.

  3. #393
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central Georgia, USA
    Posts
    4,658
    Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    I wonder if this thread should even exist...at least as far as mentioning a possible relationship...clearly, there is NOT one. BL may or may not have read any number of books on true crime, maybe he read the one about Derrick Lee, since he used Whiskey Bay. But there is no reason he would have read this one, IMO, any more than any other, since the author is not related.

    Or maybe it should be retitled, at least...? Then again, maybe it should stand -- to show how things can go awry!

    I just know several folks were reading the book Bad Boy, for whatever reasons -- and just wanted to see who might have finished it.

  4. #394
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In my treehouse, empty nesting.
    Posts
    12,855
    IMO rename it!
    "No realtion... but similarities between BSL and Mc Duff"

    or

    "Resemblance of McDuff and BSL*** busted"
    ~ my opinion only

  5. #395
    deanna82437's Avatar
    deanna82437 is offline The dead can't cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    Or maybe it should be retitled, at least...? Then again, maybe it should stand -- to show how things can go awry!

    I just know several folks were reading the book Bad Boy, for whatever reasons -- and just wanted to see who might have finished it.
    I started the book, but stopped reading when I heard no relation existed. Too dark for me as well.

    "Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent." - Adam Smith

  6. #396
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,036
    Quote Originally Posted by deanna82437 View Post
    I started the book, but stopped reading when I heard no relation existed. Too dark for me as well.
    ------------

    Just wondering how authors of these books can be relaxed enough to write about this subject matter. Do they think they would never be a victim of such a person because they are male?

  7. #397
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by concentric View Post
    ------------

    Just wondering how authors of these books can be relaxed enough to write about this subject matter. Do they think they would never be a victim of such a person because they are male?
    Hi Concentric, my suggestion to your question is - I do not think they think they would never be a victim ... because they are male. I offer up the author Ann Rule as a female example that writes about such. As dark and troubling as these stories, I guess the story needs to be told. For me, the fictional writers pique my curosity more than the non-fictional writers. Completing the necessary background research and thinking/writing on the subject for long periods would certain get to me. (woolie boolies). I suggest that the authors have a special ability to write on the killers. Similar to how some doctors choose to be medical examiner.

  8. #398
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,036
    Quote Originally Posted by JustyThoughts View Post
    Hi Concentric, my suggestion to your question is - I do not think they think they would never be a victim ... because they are male. I offer up the author Ann Rule as a female example that writes about such. As dark and troubling as these stories, I guess the story needs to be told. For me, the fictional writers pique my curosity more than the non-fictional writers. Completing the necessary background research and thinking/writing on the subject for long periods would certain get to me. (woolie boolies). I suggest that the authors have a special ability to write on the killers. Similar to how some doctors choose to be medical examiner.
    ----------
    Has Ann Rule ever been a victim of rape? I know she sat next to Ted Bundy at the rape hotline.

    It would seem to me that if a writer had been a victim of rape, PTSD might occasionally impinge upon productivity.

  9. #399
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central Georgia, USA
    Posts
    4,658
    Quote Originally Posted by concentric View Post
    ------------

    Just wondering how authors of these books can be relaxed enough to write about this subject matter. Do they think they would never be a victim of such a person because they are male?
    I wonder if many are them are not haunted, rather than relaxed.

    In the case of Lavergne writing about McDuff, well, McDuff has two known male victims, so I doubt the author would be thinking he is "safe" because he is male.

  10. #400
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    I wonder if many are them are not haunted, rather than relaxed.

    In the case of Lavergne writing about McDuff, well, McDuff has two known male victims, so I doubt the author would be thinking he is "safe" because he is male.
    -------------------

    My bold above. Were the male victims children, teenagers or adult men?
    If adult men, then why were they murdered?

    Thanks.


  11. #401
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central Georgia, USA
    Posts
    4,658
    Quote Originally Posted by concentric View Post
    -------------------

    My bold above. Were the male victims children, teenagers or adult men?
    If adult men, then why were they murdered?

    Thanks.
    They were teenagers, I believe. (I believe McDuff was pretty young at the time, too -- but I can't say exactly what age). IIRC, the attack was by McDuff and a companion on the two males and a female. I can't say "why" they were murdered -- it seems to me to have been a random attack "just for meanness", so to speak, but the female was also sexually assaulted, if that's what you're getting at. As far as I remember, the males were not.

    There are a fair number of female true-crime authors. I don't think it is accurate to characterize all true-crime authors as males who feel "relaxed" about their subject matter because they feel immune to violence themselves. Perhaps some of them are that way.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27


Similar Threads

  1. TX TX - Kenneth McDuff - The Poster Boy of Capital Punishment
    By JeannieC in forum Serial Killers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-06-2017, 05:29 PM