Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: UK - Tia Sharp, 12, New Addington, South-East London, 3 Aug 2012 - #1

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    that is never good. Sounds like he is trying out various stories to see what sounds best.
    Bingo... I agree!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IHAVENOCLUE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lalalemon View Post
    This IS the top she was wearing she went missing, the photo is from the day before though!
    Okay TY..but most young girls won't wear something two days running ? Often they will change clothes several times a day...something's off here...MOO

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to liz b. For This Useful Post:

It's a VERY poorly written article... I read it as police officers went back to Grandma's house today, to go over Friday's events... and Tia's Mum was there, at Grandma's TODAY when they were there. NOT on Friday.
    thank you for clarifying that for me!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IHAVENOCLUE For This Useful Post:

Maybe she'd only take a few outfits with her to her Nan's?
    RIP Tia Sharp
    RIP Molly O'Donovan
    RIP Mikaeel Kular

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lalalemon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by liz b. View Post
    Okay TY..but most young girls won't wear something two days running ? Often they will change clothes several times a day...something's off here...MOO
    and WHO provided the info. Of what Tia was last wearing?

Gran was at work.. So that leaves Gran's partner to be the one with the info.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IHAVENOCLUE For This Useful Post:

I'm assuming that they will have searched the house...
    England's dancing days are done...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to badhorsie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by badhorsie View Post
    I read on the BBC website that they have searched some local woodland

Police, who say her disappearance is out of character, have also searched woodland near her home.
    Thanks for confirming that. I'm pleased to have seen photos of the police searching lock ups on the estate as well.

Not sure if this latest has been posted http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9457291/Family-fears-missing-Tia-has-been-abducted.html#
    Why would he bother walking her to the tram in a suburban area only to send her alone into a very busy and bustling town centre?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amber34 For This Useful Post:

Maybe she'd only take a few outfits with her to her Nan's?
    could be...or maybe the partner just got the days confused.maybe didn't really recall what she was wearing... but, it seems strange that she never showed up on any CCTV ?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to liz b. For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Amber34 View Post
    Thanks for confirming that. I'm pleased to have seen photos of the police searching lock ups on the estate as well.

Not sure if this latest has been posted http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9457291/Family-fears-missing-Tia-has-been-abducted.html#
    Why would he bother walking her to the tram in a suburban area only to send her alone into a very busy and bustling town centre?
    Looking at the times of these articles it looks like the Mirror copy and pasted this article for themselves!

So now the grandmother's boyfriend has told his sister and father that he walked Tia to the tram stop.

But we have this from Tia's stepfather's mother:

Stepdad David’s mother Angie Nile, 69, said: “Apparently, Stuart was doing the housework and hoovering or something when Tia shouted, ‘I’m going out, I’m going to meet so-and-so’.

“But he didn’t catch who she said she was going to meet. By the time he thought about it, she’d left the house. That was the last anyone saw of her.”
    Very confusing.

I'm off to bed now. I pray for a miracle
    Mark Twain: "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything"

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheTruthWillOut For This Useful Post:

Unhappy

The media reports are so conflicting, I won't take any of them as "fact". Would be good to find out exactly who was the last person to see Tia and when!

Hoping you have just ran away Tia and are safe. Please come home soon. x

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to belfastgirl73 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IHAVENOCLUE View Post
    and WHO provided the info. Of what Tia was last wearing?

Gran was at work.. So that leaves Gran's partner to be the one with the info.
    That fascinated me, that an older male could give such a detailed account of what a young girl was wearing, there was mention earlier on about 'cross-over bra straps' or the like being visible. Not sure if I can find that link. I would imagine the boob-tube [or whatever???] would be strapless but provide normal cover otherwise. i can't describe what a teen is wearing, I'm female and I see plenty of it with my young relatives.

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n..._missing_girl/

I must say I had firmly believed she had been abducted but.....
    I really feel for her family and I don't think she ran away. Her FB Search Page is being manned by a wonderful group of people. I have spent hours on it doing my version of being 'supportive'. Very sad.

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/...ail/story.html

In my opinion this media source is reliable, even though it is new to me. The above link has most of their coverage. Sky News has also been very active.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raindrops For This Useful Post:

Hypothetically speaking, of course... But is there/are there websites where one can explore criminal backgrounds of citizens of England..

Like we have Megan's Law website, etc., in the US?

TIA

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IHAVENOCLUE For This Useful Post:

Talking

What worries me most is that her phone was left behind. What teenage girls leaves the house without her phone, especially when going into town. Every one that I know has their phone glued to their ear!!

Would Tia be aware that a mobile phone signal could be tracked, assuming she was planning on running away. I know it has been stated that her phone was left on charge, but it has also been said that she usually charged her phone at night. THis scenario just does not make any sense to me. I am 39 and I never leave the house without my phone!!

Questions. questions, I wish we had firm details of what took place that morning.

Apologies my question mark key is broken!!

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to belfastgirl73 For This Useful Post:

Hypothetically speaking, of course... But is there/are there websites where one can explore criminal backgrounds of citizens of England..

TIA
    I could very well be wrong but no, I don't think there are. You can pay to have a criminal record check carried out though.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to belfastgirl73 For This Useful Post:

TIA

Not that I know of but that's open to correction.
    From being on WS I have found all the public records available in the US fascinating. I better confine my remarks to my own little island!

You are all bigger than us. Lol.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raindrops For This Useful Post:

With the Olympics going on I would imagine security cameras are everywhere. I mean everywhere!

If I were her family I would appeal to every newspaper, Olympic FB coverage, for that matter ALL Olympic coverage. I sure hope this isn't swept under the rug by LE because of the Games.

To add I would try to appeal to all in my neighborhood to view their camera video. Leave no stone unturned.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Coldpizza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by belfastgirl73 View Post
    What worries me most is that her phone was left behind. What teenage girls leaves the house without her phone, especially when going into town. Every one that I know has their phone glued to their ear!!

Would Tia be aware that a mobile phone signal could be tracked, assuming she was planning on running away. I know it has been stated that her phone was left on charge, but it has also been said that she usually charged her phone at night. THis scenario just does not make any sense to me. I am 39 and I never leave the house without my phone!!

Questions. questions, I wish we had firm details of what took place that morning.

Apologies my question mark key is broken!!
    The more time that passes and the more I think about it the less it makes sense. I did believe the abduction story but little snippets have come out today that puts the hinky metre going.

She had her Mom's phone but she left it behind. She was planning to travel to a shopping centre with £10, which may have been provided by grandpa, according to some reports.

Reports also seem to indicate a concentration of police activity around Croydon. I know they searched CCTV etc, with no luck.
    I have a bad feeling that's getting worse about it. Poor Tia.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to raindrops For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=IHAVENOCLUE;8235708]Hypothetically speaking, of course... But is there/are there websites where one can explore criminal backgrounds of citizens of England..

"A scheme that allows parents to check if someone with regular access to their children has a history of child sex offences is being extended. The Home Office scheme was piloted in four areas in England from September 2008. It is now being rolled out in eight more forces and will be expanded to the whole of England and Wales by spring." This is taken from Sarah's Law website

http://www.sarahslaw.co.uk/sarah/

"“Sarah’s Law” was proposed after the murder of eight-year-old Sarah Payne by a convicted sex offender 10 years ago. Sarah was kidnapped and murdered by Roy Whiting in West Sussex in 2000."

I think in practice people with children can approach the police to find out if a person who has regular contact with their child has had any convictions relating to sexual offences on children. I think the police are limited in what they can tell you and the parent has to keep the information confidential.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TykeyTrouble For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by raindrops View Post
    Not that I know of but that's open to correction.
    From being on WS I have found all the public records available in the US fascinating. I better confine my remarks to my own little island!

You are all bigger than us. Lol.

O/T Hi Raindrops. My daughter just returned from a year in Dublin at Trinity College. She loved it there, and so did I when I visited. What part of Ireland are you in?

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peachy Keen For This Useful Post:

I am so appreciative of the Sleuthers sharing information with us from Ireland, UK, and all places "Across the Pond"!

I have always admired your countries and wish to visit some time in my travels!

I love being able to learn more about you all, and to be able to "chat" on-line on WS with you.

It is unfortunate that the underlying reason is that we are searching for missing persons, though.

40. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to IHAVENOCLUE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy Keen View Post
    O/T Hi Raindrops. My daughter just returned from a year in Dublin at Trinity College. She loved it there, and so did I when I visited. What part of Ireland are you in?
    The nicest part and that's a Kerry answer for you. Killarney all my life but born Albany quite a long time ago. Soft spot for the USofA.
    Jokes on Kerry people: they never give you a straight answer.

IHAVENOCLUE It works well most of the time & is mutual.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raindrops For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by raindrops View Post
    The nicest part and that's a Kerry answer for you. Killarney all my life but born Albany quite a long time ago. Soft spot for the USofA.
    Jokes on Kerry people: they never give you a straight answer.

IHAVENOCLUE It works well most of the time & is mutual.
    I didn't make it to Kerry.

Thanks for a sort-of-local view. Praying for her safe return.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peachy Keen For This Useful Post:

BritsKate is offline Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderful future.

TIA
    No open access to records here. Like so much else involving our children the issue has become a political hotbed. A lot of people cite the risk of vigilantism, human rights violations, effectiveness, etc. as reasons for not allowing the register to be open. My husband clearly remembers a pediatrician being attacked because her attackers confused pediatrician for pedophile. I remember reading of a convicted pedophile being beaten to death in London my first year here.

Theoretically though the police are supposed to be able to tell parents of young children if an offender is living within a certain proximity. Any person working with vulnerable people, even in a volunteer capacity, is supposed to have a background check done. Unfortunately we know some offenders don't have a rap sheet.

One of the biggest problems here, and a huge difference from the US, are appallingly lenient sentences given to those convicted of crimes against children. Infuriating and ironic because children in the UK are often nearly socially revered. I'll get off my soapbox now.
    "Emotional abuse isn't calling someone a name; it isn't simply raising your voice at someone you're meant to love...it's a concerted effort, a campaign, designed with the sole purpose of destruction. Your destruction. Emotional abuse crushes your spirit. It steals a piece of your soul. It changes everything about you and how you interact with others. You are never the same having survived it. In its wake, you question everything you ever thought you knew. You wonder what's wrong with you. You believe you aren't worth loving. You doubt yourself - constantly. And you learn to live with scars no one sees."

46. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BritsKate For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BritsKate View Post
    No open access to records here. Like so much else involving our children the issue has become a political hotbed. A lot of people cite the risk of vigilantism, human rights violations, effectiveness, etc. as reasons for not allowing the register to be open. My husband clearly remembers a pediatrician being attacked because her attackers confused pediatrician for pedophile. I remember reading of a convicted pedophile being beaten to death in London my first year here.

Theoretically though the police are supposed to be able to tell parents of young children if an offender is living within a certain proximity. Any person working with vulnerable people, even in a volunteer capacity, is supposed to have a background check done. Unfortunately we know some offenders don't have a rap sheet.

One of the biggest problems here, and a huge difference from the US, are appallingly lenient sentences given to those convicted of crimes against children. Infuriating and ironic because children in the UK are often nearly socially revered. I'll get off my soapbox now.
    I know a lot of countries are far more protective of criminals than the US, yet the US is always getting slammed for being so lenient. Not in comparison to many other countries. I think in Germany, and maybe some others, they don't even release the names of pedophiles even after conviction. And I think Australia is pretty protective of their sex offenders too. I don't think there is any such thing as rehab for these criminals and don't understand how they can be protected, instead of potential victims.
    Just my opinion, of course.

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

BritsKate is offline Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderful future.
    Leaving the oyster card and mobile bothers me too...she wasn't at home and just popping down to the off licence. My daughter though, if she likes an outfit, will re-wear it to the point of me begging her to change. Other days she'll change 8 times! A bone of contention without a dryer in a rainy country. She never remembers her mobile on her own - I have to remind her as she's out the door. (I have a very young 12 year old though so she can't go far from home for very long and still has to have her GPS enabled phone on her, checking in at periodic intervals. She says I'm too strict. )

I can't believe it's been four days and so far they can't find her on CCTV.
    "Emotional abuse isn't calling someone a name; it isn't simply raising your voice at someone you're meant to love...it's a concerted effort, a campaign, designed with the sole purpose of destruction. Your destruction. Emotional abuse crushes your spirit. It steals a piece of your soul. It changes everything about you and how you interact with others. You are never the same having survived it. In its wake, you question everything you ever thought you knew. You wonder what's wrong with you. You believe you aren't worth loving. You doubt yourself - constantly. And you learn to live with scars no one sees."

50. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BritsKate For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast