Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: CA - Black Dahlia case: Elizabeth Short murdered in Los Angeles, 1947

In my experience, two people don't keep a secret. My guess is the only way we don't know the answer to this mystery is if one person and one SMART person only did this crimel.

If it were two people I would investigate every male homocide for two years after her death. One of the murderers could have killed his accomplice to keep things quiet. I agree it would be difficult for both parties to keep their silence, it would be too tempting to cut a deal and rat out the other party. And with all the suspects the police had, it's quite possible their guy or guys were on the list.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to miles_draken For This Useful Post:

Is there a movie out about this case? I thought I heard one time that "L.A. Confidential" or something like that was about this????

There is a movie titled, "The Black Dahlia" scheduled to be released on September 15. It is directed by Brian De Palma and adapted from the James Ellroy novel. This film has been delayed several times, but according to imdb.com will appear this September.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    Is there a movie out about this case? I thought I heard one time that "L.A. Confidential" or something like that was about this????
    There also was a made for TV movie released in 1975 starring Lucie Arnaz as The Black Dahlia. As I remember, it was a pretty good film. I don't know about its availability on VHS or DVD though.

Sorry I forgot to tell you the name of it..It was called Who Is the Black Dahlia?

James Ellroy is going to be on the Catherine Crier show on CourtTV tomorrow (Wednesday) according to the host. Maybe he will discuss the movie of his Black Dahlia novel.

Quote Originally Posted by William N
    James Ellroy is going to be on the Catherine Crier show on CourtTV tomorrow (Wednesday) according to the host. Maybe he will discuss the movie of his Black Dahlia novel.
    I definatly want to see that movie!!

I remember reading this book when it first came out in hardcover. I remember thinking how he seemed to base his theories on very few actual facts and more on his interpretations of events. Iím never truly sold on photos. I mean how many times have I gotten my hopes up reading a thread where the victim looks so much like a Jane Doe only be proven wrong. Yes I know I am a skeptic and proudly one but the whole time I was reading this book, I felt like not only was Hodel trying to convince me that his dad was the killer but felt like he was also trying to convince himself.

Two things struck me as very odd. First if he truly believed that those photos were BD why didnít he take them to a forensic anthropologist so that they could be compared to the known photos of BD? More than likely he knew it wouldnít stand up and the whole basis of the book would be shot. Computer alignment doesnít lie and it canít be manipulated.

Second: Why didnít he ask for the DNA that was on the envelopes? Being a police officer certainly would have helped grease those tracks.

I think just like P.Cornwell did with the Ripper case, he tries too hard to make things fit that just donít. By leaving out information that doesnít jib he can present a case that simply doesnít hold water.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KJERVIS For This Useful Post:

I think that someone did compare the photos, and said they were not of Elizabeth Short.

So are the pics of her or someone else?

Autopsy photos are in the book Severed: The True Story of the Black Dahlia Murder by John Gilmore.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to anthrobones For This Useful Post:

The pictures that were compared (the ones Steve Hodel claimed were Elizabeth Short) to an actual photo of Elizabeth Short were determined to not be photos of her.

""But what about the photographs of the mystery woman found in the album, the ones that started Steve on his investigation? Is this, in fact, Elizabeth Short?

"Initially, I did think that they were very, very close," says forensic artist Sunni Chapman, who uses and distributes E-Fit, facial recognition software that compiles detailed sketches of suspects for police investigations.

Chapman examined two of the photos and initially saw a lot of similarities between Elizabeth Short and the mystery woman. But upon closer examination, and after measuring the facial features in both photos, Chapman said she was "85 percent certain that these two photographs are not of the same woman."""
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...18_page3.shtml

The photos he claimed were Elizabeth Short are here:

http://lmharnisch.com/you_judge.html

17. The Following User Says Thank You to anthrobones For This Useful Post:

anyone going to see the movie?...didn't know there was a book called Severed...

I'm planning to see it sometime this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodibug
    I'm planning to see it sometime this weekend.
    Let me know how it is. I want to see it SO bad! I may go one day when I take my son to school and see a matinee.

Quote Originally Posted by blueclouds
    Just a tidbit of info, John Huston is Angelica Huston's father. I bet she has some tragic & dark secrets.

Isn't all Hollywood tragic and dark secrets?

Quote Originally Posted by William R Thomas
    Isn't all Hollywood tragic and dark secrets?
    I dont know is it..

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy C
    I don't consider the book "wordy." It was suspenseful and analytical. Of course, the worst part of it is when he reveals how the Black Dahlia was tortured before being killed...
    Kathy C

What type of torture was she subjected to? I know virtually nothing about this case.

Quote Originally Posted by William R Thomas
    What type of torture was she subjected to? I know virtually nothing about this case.
    http://www.bethshort.com/murder.htm It tells a little at this site. It is bizarre.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to michelle For This Useful Post:

Just remember...

After speaking to several people who were under the wrong impression I thought I would post this....

Anyone planning to see the movie this weekend should keep in mind that the movie is based on the novel by James Ellroy which is FICTION

While he may have interesting theories it is still what it is... fiction very loosely based on facts.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to gidget641 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    James Ellroy did the documentary movie L.A. Confidential, it also talks about his mother's unsolved murder. It was a really good film and I think it hits straight home who the black Dahlia's killer was, their suspect in the movie. Believe it or not, Nick Nolte is in the film, as he is very interested in true crime, I had no idea.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ROSYRAINDROPS For This Useful Post:

heading out to go see the movie Black Dahlia....also, found the book Severed online....

later

saw the movie, & now i'm confused....a lot of things happen in the movie, so i found it a little hard to keep up....anyway, it was interesting, but i don't think this is what happened to Elizabeth Short.....it wasn't as good as i thought it might be...on a scale of 1 to 10, i'd give it a 6..

i ordered the book Severed & it should be here on or around the 19th...

FWIW, James Ellroy is now distancing himself from Steve Hodel's theory. He said Hodel convinced him (thus his preface to Hodel's book) but that Hodel has gone off the rails in recent years. Ellroy particularly cited Hodel's theory that a minion of his father killed Ellroy's mother, a theory which Ellroy calls bull****.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to K. Taylor For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast