LA-School policy forces students to take pregnancy test

mysticrose

The key to change... is to let go of fear
Reaction score

School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

A Delhi Charter School policy that prevents pregnant female students from attending school and can force them to take a pregnancy test to continue attending school if administrators "suspect" pregnancy has drawn the attention of the American Civil Liberties Union.

The News-Star report the ACLU sent a letter Monday requesting the school revise its policy or the group will consider further legal action.

Delhi Charter School's policy states the school seeks to maintain an environment where students will learn and exhibit acceptable character traits that govern language, gesture, physical actions and written words.

"The school reserves the right to require any female student to take a pregnancy test to confirm whether or not the suspect student is in fact pregnant," the policy reads.

The policy also allows the school to refer the student to a physician of its choice. "If the test indicates that the student is pregnant, the student will not be permitted to attend classes on the campus of Delhi Charter School."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/...regnant-teens/?intcmp=obnetwork#ixzz22w3RuDSt

How awful! These girls need to be able to finish school, no matter if pregnant or not.

I hope someone can get this "rule" overturned.

It took two to tango, what is the school policy on unwed fathers, I wonder?

Just sayin.

There should be some policy on suspected expectant fathers as well. Still unfair but at least then their unfairness would be, well, more evenly distributed. <being snarky here>

:cow: the school's policy is ridiculous.

This is absolutely ridiculous!

Not only can they make them take pregnancy tests but then they will send them to a physician of their choice!!!

Are you kidding me?!? If my daughter was a student there she would be transferred ASAP!

Yes, sure, as we all know, the answer to teen pregnancy is to not let them finish school. :what:

Outrageous policy. Not to mention sexist. Unless, of course, there is a whole lot of immaculate conceptions happening in that area of LA??? :rolleyes:

Geez, back to the 50s we go. Haven't we (the general we) learned that to break the welfare cycle we need to educate people?

Oh, FFS! Anything else that I want to say would get me in trouble.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back