1198 users online (269 members and 929 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    922

    Copycats

    Copycat from CANADA?
    http://www.news.com.au/news/man-char...-1226447187506
    Ryan John Lewis, 32, "made significant death threats on his Facebook page... to commit crimes similar to the recent shootings in Colorado", the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said in a statement

    Copycat from Maryland
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/maryla...2#.UCeMNp2PW98
    James Armstead, 37, of Glen Burnie, was charged last week with threatening to injure a state official and two counts of phone misuse after he allegedly called the Anne Arundel County Child Support Enforcement Office and threatened to kill employees and himself, "Batman-style," Annapolis police said. Armstead said he would bring an AK-47 or "other military-style weapons" to the office, police said.

    Is he a copycat or just want to be protected from a copycat in a batman movie?
    http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-...ng-in-westlake
    According to authorities, 37-year-old Scott A. Smith was arrested Saturday evening after security discovered that he'd brought a bag toting a loaded 9 mm gun, two additional magazines, and three knives to a 10 p.m. showing of the new Batman movie.

    Copycat or Idiot?
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1130824
    New Jersey man facing charges after showing up at Home Depot in Batman-like superhero costume, sparking ‘Dark Knight’ fears

  2. #2
    Good thread idea. Could the Fitz fire possibly be included here? I'm not sure; it's a very loose connection to copycat. As a probable arson, it doesn't exactly conform.

    But gasoline in a can was supposedly used by both perpetrators, there was the extreme physical proximity of the apartments to JH's, and "the Fitz Apartments owner said he thinks the fire was set by a copy-cat criminal, who'd heard about the booby-trap fire-bomb that police accuse Holmes of rigging in his apartment".

    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...84/detail.html

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Maryland-
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1713129.html
    Neil E. Prescott threatened to shoot up his workplace and referred to himself as "a joker,"

    Two friends told The Associated Press Saturday that they couldn't imagine that Prescott, who was in the process of being fired or already had lost his job, intended to be taken seriously when he allegedly told a supervisor: "I'm a joker and I'm gonna load my guns and blow everybody up."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by waitin'4thewrld2chg View Post
    Good thread idea.
    I think, this is a needed thread for all of us to be aware and be safe from these copycats...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    922
    Colorado Batman Massacre: Three Arrests as Copycat Hysteria Spreads after Dark Knight Rises Shootings
    The men were arrested separately during or after screenings of the new Batman film The Dark Knight Rises - the film that was being screened when a masked gunman, named in court as 24-year-old James Holmes, burst into a cinema in Aurora, Colorado, and opened fire on the audience.

    Michael William Borboa, 27, was arrested after his drunken behaviour caused around 50 people to evacuate a screening in Sierra Visa, Arizona, police said

    In Newark, California, 52-year-old Clark Tabor was arrested for an outburst in his cinema when the film was delayed. He is reported to have shouted "I should go off, like in Colorado" before asking "does anybody have a gun?" Police were called in immediately.

    The third suspect, Timothy Courtois of Biddeford, Maine, was detained a day after watching the film, which is final part of the Batman trilogy. When he was stopped for speeding, he told police that he was off to shoot a former employer.

    During a search of Courtois's car, police found a AK-47 assault weapon similar to that reportedly carried by Holmes, as well as four handguns, ammunition and news clippings about the Aurora shooting.

    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/36...ight-rises.htm

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by waitin'4thewrld2chg View Post
    Good thread idea. Could the Fitz fire possibly be included here? I'm not sure; it's a very loose connection to copycat. As a probable arson, it doesn't exactly conform.

    But gasoline in a can was supposedly used by both perpetrators, there was the extreme physical proximity of the apartments to JH's, and "the Fitz Apartments owner said he thinks the fire was set by a copy-cat criminal, who'd heard about the booby-trap fire-bomb that police accuse Holmes of rigging in his apartment".

    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...84/detail.html
    This might be a good thread to talk that Fitz Fire because nobody even really knows if that is really affiliated with this or just a copycat

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    922
    Fitz Fire

    Detectives have interviewed this person however not enough probable cause exists to make an arrest. As a result of this interview his mental health was a concern and he was referred to professionals for further evaluation," said Sgt. Cassidee Carlson, Aurora police public information officer. "We have no reason to believe that the public is at risk. Due to privacy concerns and the on-going investigation, I cannot elaborate to further detail."

    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...63/detail.html

    Soon after the fire started just after 11 p.m. Monday, scanner traffic described a possible suspect as a white male in his 20s with a shaved head and a black-and-white checkered shirt, captured on video camera from a nearby 7-Eleven
    Read more: Arson confirmed in fatal Aurora apartment fire - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...#ixzz23PN7jUN2


    ------------
    wonder if POI is a student?... another MI?
    Could you imagine if this POI is also a student at Anschultz Campus, IMO the school will be more questioned.
    but I think he is a student
    Last edited by February; 08-13-2012 at 03:27 AM.

  8. #8
    shadowraiths's Avatar
    shadowraiths is offline LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Specialist, infoSec Architect
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by February View Post
    Fitz Fire

    Detectives have interviewed this person however not enough probable cause exists to make an arrest. As a result of this interview his mental health was a concern and he was referred to professionals for further evaluation," said Sgt. Cassidee Carlson, Aurora police public information officer. "We have no reason to believe that the public is at risk. Due to privacy concerns and the on-going investigation, I cannot elaborate to further detail."

    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...63/detail.html

    Soon after the fire started just after 11 p.m. Monday, scanner traffic described a possible suspect as a white male in his 20s with a shaved head and a black-and-white checkered shirt, captured on video camera from a nearby 7-Eleven
    Read more: Arson confirmed in fatal Aurora apartment fire - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...#ixzz23PN7jUN2
    So, this MI POI allegedly arsoned an apartment complex resulting in the deaths of two people. And they're saying they "have no reason to believe that the public is at risk"?!?



    Forensic Psychology Portal

    I tend to disappear from Websleuths from time to time.
    If I do, you can usually find me on
    Twitter.


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
    So, this MI POI allegedly arsoned an apartment complex resulting in the deaths of two people. And they're saying they "have no reason to believe that the public is at risk"?!?
    Maybe I read too much into the Aurora police public information officer's statement, but I figured that saying the POI "was referred to professionals for further evaluation" meant the individual was probably behind lock and key at the time the statement was made and therefore not considered to be a risk to the public.

    I imagined that: "Due to privacy concerns and the on-going investigation, I cannot elaborate to further detail" referred to a mental health placement for the POI.

    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...63/detail.html

    However, it's true that the link indicates probable cause to arrest the POI is lacking and the basis for interest in him is suspicion.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by waitin'4thewrld2chg View Post
    Maybe I read too much into the Aurora police public information officer's statement, but I figured that saying the POI "was referred to professionals for further evaluation" meant the individual was probably behind lock and key at the time the statement was made and therefore not considered to be a risk to the public.

    I imagined that: "Due to privacy concerns and the on-going investigation, I cannot elaborate to further detail" referred to a mental health placement for the POI.

    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...63/detail.html

    However, it's true that the link indicates probable cause to arrest the POI is lacking and the basis for interest in him is suspicion.
    If the evidence is lacking , then i would think LE should look around more rather than say that there is no more risk to the public.

    It's is like saying "I have the suspect , but i have no evidence to arrest him and i brought him to mental hospital instead , all people are safe now" errrrr doesnt make sense lol...


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Remember when there were articles about jh looking for a new apt ? And there were a witness or two that said he was weird??

    Well, if you enter those witnesses names in google....you will get the same people giving interviews to the press about these fitz apts and the fire.

    Not saying that anything is going on......but I really start wondering about peoples names that comes up in two separate news stories.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by February View Post
    If the evidence is lacking , then i would think LE should look around more rather than say that there is no more risk to the public.

    It's is like saying "I have the suspect , but i have no evidence to arrest him and i brought him to mental hospital instead , all people are safe now" errrrr doesnt make sense lol...
    It has been my observation over the years---not saying it's the case here, because I have no idea---that sometimes LE knows exactly who did something and they are busy building a case, which they do build, but in the meantime they must be very, very careful how they phrase things.

    I have seen "don't worry" mean "we have him" numerous times locally. I hope that plays out in this situation because the Fitz arsonist, loose, could definitely be a danger to a community, I'd think.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by waitin'4thewrld2chg View Post
    It has been my observation over the years---not saying it's the case here, because I have no idea---that sometimes LE knows exactly who did something and they are busy building a case, which they do build, but in the meantime they must be very, very careful how they phrase things.

    I have seen "don't worry" mean "we have him" numerous times locally. I hope that plays out in this situation because the Fitz arsonist, loose, could definitely be a danger to a community, I'd think.
    Yep - problem with this case is their secrecy with everything makes you to think more outside the box.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    I guess this article can go here.

    A United States Merchant Marine Academy professor faces dismissal for joking about the Colorado movie theater shootings in front of his students.

    A student's father was among the victims.

    The New York Times says Gregory F. Sullivan has been suspended from his tenured position as humanities instructor.


    Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/world/j...#ixzz23qIyarys
    According to an internal personnel document, Sullivan was preparing to show a documentary. He had turned down the lights and before he stepped out of the classroom, he told the class: "If someone with orange hair appears in the corner of the room, run for the exit."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    364

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Role Models, Contagions, and Copycats: An Exploration of the Influence of Prior Kille
    By HMSHood in forum Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2016, 11:30 PM
  2. Here come the copycats
    By MrsG728 in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-20-2007, 05:43 PM