1426 users online (320 members and 1106 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Helen Gurley Brown, longtime Cosmo editor & sexual revolution champion, dead at 90

Longtime Cosmo editor Helen Gurley Brown has died (AP)
    Helen Gurley Brown, the longtime editor of Cosmopolitan magazine who invited millions of women to join the sexual revolution, has died. She was 90.
    ---
    “Sex and the Single Girl,” her grab-bag book of advice, opinion, and anecdote on why being single shouldn't mean being sexless, made a celebrity of the 40-year-old advertising copywriter in 1962.

Three years later, she was hired by Hearst Magazines to turn around the languishing Cosmopolitan and it became her bully pulpit for the next 32 years.
    ---
    much more at link above

Well, my hat's off to her for her business accomplishments, and for helping usher in the sexual revolution, but as far as her work at Cosmo goes, I think that rag has been one of the worst offenders when it comes to sexualizing and objectifying women, and for pushing harmful body image standards.

RIP tho, of course.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

RIP Helen. Why do I have a feeling she went kicking and screaming?
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

"Good girls go to heaven, but bad girls go everywhere."
    ~Helen Gurley Brown~

R.I.P. Helen Gurley Brown
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick.

We're flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenlady View Post
    Well, my hat's off to her for her business accomplishments, and for helping usher in the sexual revolution, but as far as her work at Cosmo goes, I think that rag has been one of the worst offenders when it comes to sexualizing and objectifying women, and for pushing harmful body image standards.

RIP tho, of course.

Totally agree. Every time I see Cosmo in the grocery store, it's the same.."50 Ways To Please Your Man!" "What HE Really Wants!", etc, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by foryourwine View Post
    Totally agree. Every time I see Cosmo in the grocery store, it's the same.."50 Ways To Please Your Man!" "What HE Really Wants!", etc, etc...
    Odd that they chose a 30year old picture of the "feminist" to print.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    Odd that they chose a 30year old picture of the "feminist" to print.
    Not odd at all. Most persons of note are represented in obits by pictures taken during their prime.

Sali Hughes in the Guardian:

Helen Gurley Brown: how to have it all
    Helen Gurley Brown, creator of the Cosmopolitan magazine brand as we know it, died in Manhattan on Monday. To many, she is the founding mother of women's magazine publishing and the woman who first put the concept of sex and single girls into the mainstream. Decades before Sex and the City and 50 Shades of Grey, and at a time when single women couldn't even obtain a mortgage, Cosmopolitan was telling them to celebrate their unmarried status, demanding better sex, better orgasms and better men.
    ---
    the rest at link above

Helen Gurley Brown's complicated feminist legacy
    (CNN) -- Longtime Cosmopolitan editor Helen Gurley Brown was a self-described "devout feminist" who paradoxically preached that "if you're not a sex object, you're in trouble." Another of her famous quips had it that "good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere."

Since her death Monday at age 90, how the original "Cosmo girl's" contrasting ideas became manifest in the pages of her iconic magazine has stirred debate over whether she left the world a better place for women.
    ---
    the rest at CNN link above

I commend her for all her work. A remarkable woman.
    Rest in Peace, Ms. Gurley Brown

You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.

Ř My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.

Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911