1306 users online (314 members and 992 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 72
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,577

    WA - Cowlitz Co., Fem UP10449, 20-29, passenger in MVA, scoliosis, May'91

    This is a case I've wondered about for some time. The DoeNet casefile had very little information other than she was a WhtFem with a wide age range, and average height. I e-mailed Carrie Sutherland and asked if she could get Cowlitz County to put their UID's in NamUs. They recently did so, and there is a little bit more info on her.

    We now know that she had severe scoliosis, so that limits our list of possibles. I don't see anyone on my list who fits her description, but I am starting a thread to put her on everyone's radar.


    NamUs UP # 10449 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10449
    Doe Network Hotcase 1305 http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1305.html

    Unidentified Female (Race Unsure)
    Found on May 14, 1991 in Kalama, Cowlitz County, Washington

    Vital Stats
    Age: 20-29
    Height: 5'3-5'4" (5'0" according to DoeNet)
    Weight: 115-125 lbs.
    Distinctive Characteristics: Dark complexion and high cheek bones, Severe Scoliosis

    Clothing
    Black cowboy vest, gray top possibly with pink in it

    Circumstances
    The victim was a passenger in an auto accident on Interstate 5, near Kalama on May 14, 1991. The driver, also killed, was identified but the female passenger was not. May have been a hitchhiker.

    Body Condition:
    Not recognizable - Traumatic injuries

    Identifiers:
    Fingerprints: Not Available
    Dentals: Available - Missing 1, 2, 16, 19, 30, and 32 antemortem. Fillings in 3, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, and 20. Root Canal in #9.
    DNA: Not Available
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-12-2014 at 11:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,577
    New MP in NamUs.

    Kelly Diane Sims
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19384/0



    (Note: The photo is located in the "Documents" section of the NamUs MP casefile)

    LKA Info
    Date LKA: October 16, 1990
    Location LKA: Kelso, Cowlitz County, WA
    Age LKA: 27
    Circumstances: Kelly was dropped off at the corner of Allen and South Pacific she was going to walk 2 blocks to play some pool before going and picking up her son and going home. She never made it.

    Vital Stats
    Height: 64 inches
    Weight: 120 pounds
    Race: Native American
    Gender: Female
    Hair: Brown, Past Shoulders
    Eyes: Brown
    Piercings: Ears

    Identifiers
    DNA: Available - Not yet submitted
    Dental: Not Available
    Fingerprints: Not Available


    Comments
    The main negatives are (1) there's no indication about scoliosis, and (2), the date LKA (16-Oct-1990) is seven months prior to this Jane Doe's accident. The circumstances seem inconsistent, unless she abandoned her family.

    But there are a lot of things that match up:

    • She has a dark complexion and high cheekbones
    • Her age (27) is within range (20-29)
    • Her height (5'4") is within range (5'3" to 5'4")
    • Her weight (115 lbs) is within 5 lbs of the UID's measured weight.
    • Her location LKA is 10 miles from Kalama WA.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    320
    Carl, I didn't know if it's wise to link a page with the names of her family members here, so I PMed it to you to decide if you wanted to post it and/or check on the scoliosis question with the listed contacts. I agree that her date of disappearance is not consistent with the date of the UID's car accident.

    Unfortunately the Seattle P-I no longer has online the missing persons directory from their 2003 "Without a Trace" special report on Washington state missing persons, and the Internet Archive doesn't seem to have it either, but Porchlight archived her brief entry:

    SIMS, KELLY
    Agency: Kelso P.D. (Cowlitz County)
    Sex: F Height: 5' 4" Weight: 120 Hair: Brown Eyes: Brown

    Last seen: 10/15/1990 Age then: 27 Age now: 43
    Seen leaving bar with two men. Lived with boyfriend and child. Informant told police that she was kidnapped by drug dealer and murdered.
    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Porchlig...showtopic=6848

    Her Washington State Missing Persons entry is here. It says dentals are available:
    http://www.waspc.org/mp/missing.php?wac=90M0018841
    Last edited by zinc; 02-25-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: WSMP

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,541
    Wonder about this woman I had posted before also:

    http://doenetwork.org/cases/1010dfwa.html

    Servia Lucia Faria Alves



    Servia is Brazilian but disappeared from Washington state.

    Doe says she is 5'5" but interpol says 1.65 meters, which Google says converts to 5'4"
    No mention of the scoliosis for her either but Interpol doesn't tend to have lots of details and Doe seems to have got their info from Interpol's site.

    Her missing date is January of 1992. I'm not sure if that means that is when she was last seen/heard from, or if that is when her family reported her missing after not hearing from her for some length of time. At 30 she's just outside the upper end of the age range.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    320
    Andrea Jerri White is listed as missing since July 31, 1991, after the UID's car accident on May 14, 1991. However, very little information is available on her disappearance. It's plausible that she was reported missing on July 31 with a true date of last contact prior to July 31.

    The Charley Project: Andrea Jerri White
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/white_andrea.html
    Native American female
    Missing since July 31, 1991 from Humboldt County, California
    Age: 22 years old
    Height: 60 in (152.4 cm)
    Weight: 115 lb (52.2 kg)
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Brown
    White has a five-inch scar on the left side of her temple.

    The Doe Network: Case File: Andrea Jerri White - 3068DFCA
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3068dfca.html

    California Missing Persons Clearinghouse: Andrea Jerri White
    http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/det...=1889122631448

    I do not find her in NamUs. CMPC reports dental X-rays available.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    168
    Despite the seven year gap, Deanna Lynn Saccone seems to fit the profile, including the scoliosis.
    Deanna Lynn Saccone
    Missing since November 13, 1985 from Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California.
    Classification: Missing

    Vital Statistics

    Date Of Birth: June 23, 1967
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7"; 110 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
    Scars, Marks: Saccone has patches on her knees and elbows due to pigmentation loss, a small birthmark under her right arm, slight scoliosis and one side of her ribcage is larger than the other.
    Dentals: Available
    AKA: Catherine Warner

    Circumstances of Disappearance
    Saccone was last seen on November 13, 1985 in Los Angeles, California.

    Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department
    323-526-5541
    Email

    Agency Case Number: 850516527

    NCIC Number:
    M-179173264
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

    Source Information:
    CA DOJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoope23 View Post
    Despite the seven year gap, Deanna Lynn Saccone seems to fit the profile, including the scoliosis.
    Deanna Lynn Saccone
    Missing since November 13, 1985 from Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California.
    Classification: Missing

    Vital Statistics

    Date Of Birth: June 23, 1967
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7"; 110 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
    Scars, Marks: Saccone has patches on her knees and elbows due to pigmentation loss, a small birthmark under her right arm, slight scoliosis and one side of her ribcage is larger than the other.
    Dentals: Available
    AKA: Catherine Warner

    Circumstances of Disappearance
    Saccone was last seen on November 13, 1985 in Los Angeles, California.

    Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department
    323-526-5541
    Email

    Agency Case Number: 850516527

    NCIC Number:
    M-179173264
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

    Source Information:
    CA DOJ
    I looked around this morning and stumbled across Deanna's page also. I'm hesitant to jump in here, still learning, but I think it's a great possibility.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    16,713
    I'm sorry for not looking this up myself and including pointers, but with my broken arm, stuff like that is pretty difficult at the moment. Didn't Barbara Cotton have scoliosis, and go missing in about this time frame? Or was she later?

    If somebody else has time to check that, I'd be ever so grateful.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,577
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    I'm sorry for not looking this up myself and including pointers, but with my broken arm, stuff like that is pretty difficult at the moment. Didn't Barbara Cotton have scoliosis, and go missing in about this time frame? Or was she later?

    If somebody else has time to check that, I'd be ever so grateful.
    Yes, Barbara Cotton did have scoliosis, but her Date LKA was in Apr 1981 (10 years prior).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,681
    I don't know much about the severity of Scoliosis. How would this affect day to day life? Would she be "hunch backed" or have a visible curvature to her back? Would this affect how she walks? I also thought it was fairy treatable with back braces? But like I said, I don't know much about "severe" scoliosis.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaliste View Post
    I don't know much about the severity of Scoliosis. How would this affect day to day life? Would she be "hunch backed" or have a visible curvature to her back? Would this affect how she walks? I also thought it was fairy treatable with back braces? But like I said, I don't know much about "severe" scoliosis.
    Scoliosis causes a curvature that goes side to side in a "s" shape, not a hunch back. There is a wide range in severity of scoliosis, so it may or may not have affected the way she walked. I have a minor case of scoliosis and another deformity in my spine, and I didn't realize it until I started getting back pain in my early 30's. I can't see my spine, so I didn't see the "s" curvature. My husband never mentioned anything, and no one else sees my nakid back, lol. So it is possible that others weren't aware this woman had scoliosis for all we know. I wouldn't limit possible matches with missing person reports that mention scoliosis.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Scoliosis causes a curvature that goes side to side in a "s" shape, not a hunch back. There is a wide range in severity of scoliosis, so it may or may not have affected the way she walked. I have a minor case of scoliosis and another deformity in my spine, and I didn't realize it until I started getting back pain in my early 30's. I can't see my spine, so I didn't see the "s" curvature. My husband never mentioned anything, and no one else sees my nakid back, lol. So it is possible that others weren't aware this woman had scoliosis for all we know. I wouldn't limit possible matches with missing person reports that mention scoliosis.
    Thanks for the info, it's exactly what I was wondering!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,577
    Officials will take another shot at identifying 1991 crash victim



    No one knew who she was when the young crash victim was buried in an unmarked grave at Longview Memorial Park cemetery 22 years ago as “Jane Doe,” but officials who exhumed her Wednesday hope to change that.

    After years of chasing her identity through dental records and cold case investigations, investigators now believe that modern technology will give them their best bet at identifying the woman who perished in a fiery truck crash near Kalama in 1991.
    The latest mystery began May 14, 1991, when a tractor trailer rear-ended a semi on Interstate 5 near Kalama and burst into flames. The semi driver received only cuts and bruises. The driver of the tractor trailer — Lester Dean Harvel of Illinois — perished in the flames. In addition, the body of a young woman was found in Harvel’s truck. Authorities could not determine who she was.

    Harvel started his trip in Missouri, stopping in Tacoma. He was headed to Portland at the time of the crash. He didn’t have anyone registered as riding with him, so it’s likely he picked up the woman as a hitchhiker, said Detective Greg Wilcoxson of the Washington State Patrol. Investigators have spoken with Harvel’s family and traced his route using receipts, but they don’t know when he picked the woman up.

    She was slight and stood between 5-foot 1-inch and 5-foot, 4 inches tall and had been treated for scoliosis, a spine disease, according to the coroner’s report. Her age was estimated in her early 20s.
    It appeared the woman had darker skin, leading the medical examiner to suggest she might have been Native American or Hispanic, but that remains a theory. A forensic anthropologist working for the state will examine the remains exhumed Wednesday and should be able to help identify ethnicity, Davidson said. She’ll also do a facial reconstruction to give investigators an idea of what the dead woman looked like.

    Read More:
    http://tdn.com/news/local/officials-...a4bcf887a.html

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,726
    If she had been treated for scoliosis, she most likely had metal rods in her back on either side of the s Curve of her spine. This is done in more severe cases to straighten the S out. First treatment would be to wear a back brace.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    352
    would the brace have any kind of serial number that could be traced?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-31-2016, 05:29 AM
  2. Identified! WA - Cowlitz Co., Hisp/Nat Am girl in river, Sep'87 - Kamnee Narain
    By anthrobones in forum Identified!
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 09-25-2016, 08:14 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-24-2014, 10:38 AM
  4. Passenger live tweets fellow passenger's meltdown on delayed flight
    By attraversiamo in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-03-2013, 08:44 PM

Tags for this Thread