WA WA - Cowlitz Co, AmInd/NativeFem 20-29, UP10449, passngr in MVA, scoliosis, May'91

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a case I've wondered about for some time. The DoeNet casefile had very little information other than she was a WhtFem with a wide age range, and average height. I e-mailed Carrie Sutherland and asked if she could get Cowlitz County to put their UID's in NamUs. They recently did so, and there is a little bit more info on her.

We now know that she had severe scoliosis, so that limits our list of possibles. I don't see anyone on my list who fits her description, but I am starting a thread to put her on everyone's radar.

NamUs UP # 10449 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10449
Doe Network Hotcase 1305 http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1305.html

Unidentified Female (Race Unsure)
Found on May 14, 1991 in Kalama, Cowlitz County, Washington​

Vital Stats
Height: 5'3-5'4" (5'0" according to DoeNet)
Weight: 115-125 lbs.
Distinctive Characteristics: Dark complexion and high cheek bones, Severe Scoliosis

Clothing
Black cowboy vest, gray top possibly with pink in it​

Circumstances
The victim was a passenger in an auto accident on Interstate 5, near Kalama on May 14, 1991. The driver, also killed, was identified but the female passenger was not. May have been a hitchhiker.​

Body Condition:
Not recognizable - Traumatic injuries​

Identifiers:
Fingerprints: Not Available
Dentals: Available - Missing 1, 2, 16, 19, 30, and 32 antemortem. Fillings in 3, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, and 20. Root Canal in #9.
DNA: Not Available

New MP in NamUs.

Kelly Diane Sims
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19384/0

KellySims.jpg

(Note: The photo is located in the "Documents" section of the NamUs MP casefile)

LKA Info
Date LKA: October 16, 1990
Location LKA: Kelso, Cowlitz County, WA
Age LKA: 27
Circumstances: Kelly was dropped off at the corner of Allen and South Pacific she was going to walk 2 blocks to play some pool before going and picking up her son and going home. She never made it.​

Vital Stats
Height: 64 inches
Weight: 120 pounds
Race: Native American
Hair: Brown, Past Shoulders
Eyes: Brown
Piercings: Ears​

Identifiers
DNA: Available - Not yet submitted
Dental: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available​

Comments
The main negatives are (1) there's no indication about scoliosis, and (2), the date LKA (16-Oct-1990) is seven months prior to this Jane Doe's accident. The circumstances seem inconsistent, unless she abandoned her family.

But there are a lot of things that match up:

• She has a dark complexion and high cheekbones
  • Her age (27) is within range (20-29)
  • Her height (5'4") is within range (5'3" to 5'4")
  • Her weight (115 lbs) is within 5 lbs of the UID's measured weight.
  • Her location LKA is 10 miles from Kalama WA.

Carl, I didn't know if it's wise to link a page with the names of her family members here, so I PMed it to you to decide if you wanted to post it and/or check on the scoliosis question with the listed contacts. I agree that her date of disappearance is not consistent with the date of the UID's car accident.

Unfortunately the Seattle P-I no longer has online the missing persons directory from their 2003 "Without a Trace" special report on Washington state missing persons, and the Internet Archive doesn't seem to have it either, but Porchlight archived her brief entry:

SIMS, KELLY
Agency: Kelso P.D. (Cowlitz County)
Sex: F Height: 5' 4" Weight: 120 Hair: Brown Eyes: Brown

Seen leaving bar with two men. Lived with boyfriend and child. Informant told police that she was kidnapped by drug dealer and murdered.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightUSA/index.php?showtopic=6848

Her Washington State Missing Persons entry is here. It says dentals are available:
http://www.waspc.org/mp/missing.php?wac=90M0018841

Wonder about this woman I had posted before also:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/1010dfwa.html

Servia Lucia Faria Alves

SAlves.jpg

Servia is Brazilian but disappeared from Washington state.

Doe says she is 5'5" but interpol says 1.65 meters, which Google says converts to 5'4"
No mention of the scoliosis for her either but Interpol doesn't tend to have lots of details and Doe seems to have got their info from Interpol's site.

Her missing date is January of 1992. I'm not sure if that means that is when she was last seen/heard from, or if that is when her family reported her missing after not hearing from her for some length of time. At 30 she's just outside the upper end of the age range.

Andrea Jerri White is listed as missing since July 31, 1991, after the UID's car accident on May 14, 1991. However, very little information is available on her disappearance. It's plausible that she was reported missing on July 31 with a true date of last contact prior to July 31.

The Charley Project: Andrea Jerri White
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/white_andrea.html
Native American female
Missing since July 31, 1991 from Humboldt County, California
Height: 60 in (152.4 cm)
Weight: 115 lb (52.2 kg)
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
White has a five-inch scar on the left side of her temple.

The Doe Network: Case File: Andrea Jerri White - 3068DFCA
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3068dfca.html

California Missing Persons Clearinghouse: Andrea Jerri White
http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=1889122631448

I do not find her in NamUs. CMPC reports dental X-rays available.

Despite the seven year gap, Deanna Lynn Saccone seems to fit the profile, including the scoliosis.
Deanna Lynn Saccone
Missing since November 13, 1985 from Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: June 23, 1967
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7"; 110 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Scars, Marks: Saccone has patches on her knees and elbows due to pigmentation loss, a small birthmark under her right arm, slight scoliosis and one side of her ribcage is larger than the other.
Dentals: Available
AKA: Catherine Warner

Circumstances of Disappearance
Saccone was last seen on November 13, 1985 in Los Angeles, California.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department
323-526-5541
Email

Agency Case Number: 850516527

NCIC Number:
M-179173264
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
CA DOJ

Attachments

• DSaccone.jpg
    DSaccone.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 182
Despite the seven year gap, Deanna Lynn Saccone seems to fit the profile, including the scoliosis.
Deanna Lynn Saccone
Missing since November 13, 1985 from Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: June 23, 1967
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7"; 110 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Scars, Marks: Saccone has patches on her knees and elbows due to pigmentation loss, a small birthmark under her right arm, slight scoliosis and one side of her ribcage is larger than the other.
Dentals: Available
AKA: Catherine Warner

Circumstances of Disappearance
Saccone was last seen on November 13, 1985 in Los Angeles, California.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department
323-526-5541
Email

Agency Case Number: 850516527

NCIC Number:
M-179173264
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
CA DOJ

I looked around this morning and stumbled across Deanna's page also. I'm hesitant to jump in here, still learning, but I think it's a great possibility.

I'm sorry for not looking this up myself and including pointers, but with my broken arm, stuff like that is pretty difficult at the moment. Didn't Barbara Cotton have scoliosis, and go missing in about this time frame? Or was she later?

If somebody else has time to check that, I'd be ever so grateful.

I'm sorry for not looking this up myself and including pointers, but with my broken arm, stuff like that is pretty difficult at the moment. Didn't Barbara Cotton have scoliosis, and go missing in about this time frame? Or was she later?

If somebody else has time to check that, I'd be ever so grateful.

Yes, Barbara Cotton did have scoliosis, but her Date LKA was in Apr 1981 (10 years prior).

I don't know much about the severity of Scoliosis. How would this affect day to day life? Would she be "hunch backed" or have a visible curvature to her back? Would this affect how she walks? I also thought it was fairy treatable with back braces? But like I said, I don't know much about "severe" scoliosis.

I don't know much about the severity of Scoliosis. How would this affect day to day life? Would she be "hunch backed" or have a visible curvature to her back? Would this affect how she walks? I also thought it was fairy treatable with back braces? But like I said, I don't know much about "severe" scoliosis.

Scoliosis causes a curvature that goes side to side in a "s" shape, not a hunch back. There is a wide range in severity of scoliosis, so it may or may not have affected the way she walked. I have a minor case of scoliosis and another deformity in my spine, and I didn't realize it until I started getting back pain in my early 30's. I can't see my spine, so I didn't see the "s" curvature. My husband never mentioned anything, and no one else sees my nakid back, lol. So it is possible that others weren't aware this woman had scoliosis for all we know. I wouldn't limit possible matches with missing person reports that mention scoliosis.

Scoliosis causes a curvature that goes side to side in a "s" shape, not a hunch back. There is a wide range in severity of scoliosis, so it may or may not have affected the way she walked. I have a minor case of scoliosis and another deformity in my spine, and I didn't realize it until I started getting back pain in my early 30's. I can't see my spine, so I didn't see the "s" curvature. My husband never mentioned anything, and no one else sees my nakid back, lol. So it is possible that others weren't aware this woman had scoliosis for all we know. I wouldn't limit possible matches with missing person reports that mention scoliosis.

Thanks for the info, it's exactly what I was wondering!

Officials will take another shot at identifying 1991 crash victim

52cdfc4e8c560.preview-620.jpg

No one knew who she was when the young crash victim was buried in an unmarked grave at Longview Memorial Park cemetery 22 years ago as “Jane Doe,” but officials who exhumed her Wednesday hope to change that.

After years of chasing her identity through dental records and cold case investigations, investigators now believe that modern technology will give them their best bet at identifying the woman who perished in a fiery truck crash near Kalama in 1991.

The latest mystery began May 14, 1991, when a tractor trailer rear-ended a semi on Interstate 5 near Kalama and burst into flames. The semi driver received only cuts and bruises. The driver of the tractor trailer — Lester Dean Harvel of Illinois — perished in the flames. In addition, the body of a young woman was found in Harvel’s truck. Authorities could not determine who she was.

Harvel started his trip in Missouri, stopping in Tacoma. He was headed to Portland at the time of the crash. He didn’t have anyone registered as riding with him, so it’s likely he picked up the woman as a hitchhiker, said Detective Greg Wilcoxson of the Washington State Patrol. Investigators have spoken with Harvel’s family and traced his route using receipts, but they don’t know when he picked the woman up.

She was slight and stood between 5-foot 1-inch and 5-foot, 4 inches tall and had been treated for scoliosis, a spine disease, according to the coroner’s report. Her age was estimated in her early 20s.

It appeared the woman had darker skin, leading the medical examiner to suggest she might have been Native American or Hispanic, but that remains a theory. A forensic anthropologist working for the state will examine the remains exhumed Wednesday and should be able to help identify ethnicity, Davidson said. She’ll also do a facial reconstruction to give investigators an idea of what the dead woman looked like.

Read More:
http://tdn.com/news/local/officials...cle_dddddf3a-78cc-11e3-a130-001a4bcf887a.html

If she had been treated for scoliosis, she most likely had metal rods in her back on either side of the s Curve of her spine. This is done in more severe cases to straighten the S out. First treatment would be to wear a back brace.

would the brace have any kind of serial number that could be traced?

I logged into NamUs; profile was greyed out. I clicked on it; NamUs profile is showing permission error - Google cache

Looks like they must have a hit on her DNA.

eta: Profiles for Barbara Cotton (not that she was possible), Deanna Saccone, and Kelly Simms are all still visible, so I guess it's not them. Alves and White don't appear to be in Namus at all.

I was told by Emily Craig that Diane Smith has just been matched to a 1991 UID, but she didn't say which UID she was matched to.

Diana Renee Smith
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/22771/0

0c5e9023-0e5e-4877-88a6-c929d48bdae0.jpg

I am guessing that she is this Jane Doe. Her narrative said that she frequently caught rides with truckers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back