655 users online (86 members and 569 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642

    Post Huge Burmese Python Found In Florida With Record 87 Eggs

    A double record-setting Burmese python has been found in the Florida Everglades.


    At 17 feet, 7 inches (5.3 meters) in length, it is the largest snake of its kind found in the state and it was carrying a record 87 eggs. Scientists say the finding highlights how dangerously comfortable the invasive species has become in its new home.


    "This thing is monstrous, it's about a foot wide," said Kenneth Krysko, of the Florida Museum of Natural History at the University of Florida. "It means these snakes are surviving a long time in the wild, there's nothing stopping them and the native wildlife are in trouble."


    The giant female python was discovered in the Everglades National Park and had been stored since May in a freezer at the museum; on Friday, researchers at the museum studied its internal anatomy, making the wild discovery.


    http://news.yahoo.com/holy-herpetolo...193035561.html




    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    A double record-setting Burmese python has been found in the Florida Everglades.


    At 17 feet, 7 inches (5.3 meters) in length, it is the largest snake of its kind found in the state and it was carrying a record 87 eggs. Scientists say the finding highlights how dangerously comfortable the invasive species has become in its new home.


    "This thing is monstrous, it's about a foot wide," said Kenneth Krysko, of the Florida Museum of Natural History at the University of Florida. "It means these snakes are surviving a long time in the wild, there's nothing stopping them and the native wildlife are in trouble."


    The giant female python was discovered in the Everglades National Park and had been stored since May in a freezer at the museum; on Friday, researchers at the museum studied its internal anatomy, making the wild discovery.


    http://news.yahoo.com/holy-herpetolo...193035561.html


    So was it smugled in? Burmese Python does sound like he has another origin


    HMMM...
    Found my answer....

    The snake was introduced to Florida by the exotic pet trade three decades ago and
    is now one of the region's deadliest and most competitive predators.

    the Burmese python, native to Southeast Asia, is one of the state's most prominent new residents.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick.

    We're flexible like that.

  3. #3
    Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,295
    Eww, isn't that gross?! And there are supposed to be THOUSANDS of them slithering around! Kind of puts a damper on sunny Florida vacation plans.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    606
    UGH! At that size, it could probably eat a toddler or a full-sized dog.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB View Post
    UGH! At that size, it could probably eat a toddler or a full-sized dog.
    It could also easily kill an adult human, she just couldn't swallow one. But kill, you bet.


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    1,426
    I wish they wouldn't have killed it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    17,610
    Quote Originally Posted by LunaticFringe View Post
    I wish they wouldn't have killed it.
    Exactly. Why not put her in a zoo and study her there?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,493
    Sounds like someone let their pet snake go a few years back. It happens a lot as these things can get so large. Once they reach about 4 or 5 feet people no longer want them, then let them go.

    Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    Quote Originally Posted by LunaticFringe View Post
    I wish they wouldn't have killed it.
    There could be hundreds of thousands of them, the article said, they want them all dead, as there is no way to keep all of them alive.


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,094
    They are a threat to naive species. They have been incidents of theme killing many animals, including at lest one gator. If there is a record of one, you know there are more unrecorded cases.
    Now that my babies are grown and on their own, I have my dh of 35 years to care for, as well as Schatzie, our white German Shepherd. She is now the baby of the household.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    It could also easily kill an adult human, she just couldn't swallow one. But kill, you bet.
    Are you sure about this, DK? The swallowing, I mean. I know you're right about the killing.

    Most predatory snakes can unhinge their jaws and swallow prey much wider than themselves.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Barrie Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    765
    I am sure most of you are familiar with this thread where the 2 year old baby was killed by a pet python.

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...+jason+darnell

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Are you sure about this, DK? The swallowing, I mean. I know you're right about the killing.

    Most predatory snakes can unhinge their jaws and swallow prey much wider than themselves.
    I used to think they could easily swallow an adult human, given their ability to swallow deer and such, but since then I have seen numerous experts say they don't think it could get past a human's shoulders. So I guess it is about the way we are shaped? Like I said, I also used to think it'd be easy for them, but the experts have generally seemed to hypothesize that they could not swallow us. Of course, it could depend on the size of the human/size of the snake, too. No snake is swallowing Andre the Giant, lol. Maybe these snake experts just don't want to scare humans, as it sure doesn't make sense to me.


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    I used to think they could easily swallow an adult human, given their ability to swallow deer and such, but since then I have seen numerous experts say they don't think it could get past a human's shoulders. So I guess it is about the way we are shaped? Like I said, I also used to think it'd be easy for them, but the experts have generally seemed to hypothesize that they could not swallow us. Of course, it could depend on the size of the human/size of the snake, too. No snake is swallowing Andre the Giant, lol. Maybe these snake experts just don't want to scare humans, as it sure doesn't make sense to me.
    Thanks, DK. I did think about our shoulders and I can see where they might pose a problem. Most four-legged animals do not have the same width.

    If that's what the experts say, I'll believe it--at least until the inevitable report that some python has indeed swallowed an adult man. LOL.

    In the meantime, I wouldn't trust a python to KNOW he couldn't swallow me (I'm not Andre, but I am 6'3"). I'll stay clear.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    My hubby and I watched one of those animal shows on animal planet talking about the HUGE problem Florida has with pythons. There are so many that are loose, that was the majority of the animal calls that came in.

    I know in some of the counties, it is known that you can't leave your pet outside bc it will be ate.

    They even had some animal experts on talking about how it was become a epidemic around fl especially bc it was killing local habitat around there. It was explained how it was changing and evolving by breeding with other versions of snakes. It was shocking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. 16-Foot-Python Killed In Florida; Deer Found In Stomach
    By Steely Dan in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 02:35 PM
  2. Florida's Newest Problem: Burmese Pythons
    By Dark Knight in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 03:38 PM
  3. Police Taser 14-Foot Florida Python
    By Buzz Mills in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 05:06 AM
  4. Python Swallows Cat in Florida Backyard
    By southcitymom in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 03:09 PM