Mysterious Louisiana Sinkhole Raises Concerns of Explosions and Radiation

Reader

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/mysterious-lo...radiation-161233618--abc-news-topstories.html

A nearly 400-foot deep sinkhole in Louisiana has swallowed all of the trees in its area and enacted a mandatory evacuation order for about 150 residences for fear of potential radiation and explosions.

The 400-square-foot gaping hole is in Assumption Parish, La., about 50 miles south of Baton Rouge........

While officials are not certain what caused the massive sinkhole, they believe it may be have ben caused by a nearby salt cavern owned by the Texas Brine Company.

After being used for nearly 30 years, the cavern was plugged in 2011 and officials believe the integrity of the cavern may have somehow been compromised, leading to the sinkhole.........

In the days after the sinkhole opened up on Aug. 3, nearby Highway 70 was closed down because officials discovered that the sinkhole caused a 36-inch natural gas pipeline to bend and feared the possibility of an explosion, according to ABC News' Baton Rouge affiliate WBRZ.

"That's why the mandatory evacuation is going to stay on, because there is a risk for explosion," John Boudreaux of from Assumption Parish Emergency Preparedness said at a meeting with residents on Tuesday, WBRZ reported.

More at link.....

Egad. And back to less depressing stories like oil company fracking causing earthquakes.

yikes @ this:

There was bubbling in the water and the sinkhole is near areas where there has been exploration for oil and gas in the past, which would make the presence of low levels of naturally occurring radioactive material (NORM) possible.

and huh? @ this:

Authorities enacted a mandatory evacuation for between 100 and150 homes in the area, but most people have chosen to stay, according to the Mayor's Office of Emergency Preparedness. If any of the dangers seem to become more imminent, the order will be escalated to a forced evacuation.

*seems to me that mandatory means they have no choice but apparently there is a subtle difference between 'mandatory' & 'forced' to the people & authorities there

that would annoy the heck outta me because if there is a disaster, the people who choose to stay have compounded the problem; put more lives at risk; increased the cost of rescue/recocvery/clean-up etc.

yes, it's a major inconvenience for them; yes, it will cost them money to evacuate; yes, it's worth it IMO but I guess they think their lives aren't worth the expense

I would never defy a mandatory evacuation - it's just reckless and ridiculous to me

it would also be good if the gov't could provide them some financial relief to encourage them to leave

Remember when a salt cavern swallowed up Lake Pegnieur? Boats, trucks and even a barge were pulled under.....I know the Daily Mail likes to go for the sensational approach (LOL) but I don't doubt a boat got swallowed OR that the rescue of the two men was dramatic.

Remember when a salt cavern swallowed up Lake Pegnieur? Boats, trucks and even a barge were pulled under.....I know the Daily Mail likes to go for the sensational approach (LOL) but I don't doubt a boat got swallowed OR that the rescue of the two men was dramatic.

I hope this new hole isn't anywhere near you, k'!

I'm going to guess $100,000 isn't going to make this company realize anything. :mad:

Every story like this makes me hurt for the earth. We're killing it. :(

Wonder if it has anything to do with an explosion of an oil rig on April 20, 2010? Between the weakened ground below and all the water on top Louisianan really has had a tough tough time.

Bayou Corne Sinkhole Ignored By Media While Residents Suffer

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/339039

Informative article.

Thanks...I don't understand why this is not publicized more either...these people will probably not be able to return to their homes and should be compensated by this company...from your article:

Geologists and officials with various state agencies finally surmised that a Texas Brine production cavern below Bayou Corne had collapsed from the side, filling with rock, oil and gas. They believed a build up of pressure in a cavern caused a "frack out", a natural occurrence similar to the glowingly controversial drilling technique called "fracking". ..............

The Danger Continues

Between August 3rd and December 9th, the sinkhole in Assumption Parish has continued to grow. On October 9th, approximately 500 square feet of land was swallowed up by the sinkhole. An estimated 1,600 square feet of land was consumed by the sinkhole on October 30th. On Tuesday, the sinkhole grew by another 600 feet.

In addition to the growing sinkhole, officials in Assumption Parish reported increased seismic activity around the sinkhole on November 21st. That same day, officials found that Hydrogen Sulfide, a poisonous and flammable gas, was being released from vent wells at the sinkhole.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/339039#ixzz2FAxx1NVt

Residents angry as Assumption sinkhole continues collapsing

BAYOU CORNE, La. -- The Assumption Parish sinkhole is a lot like a living, breathing thing. More than 200 days after it mysteriously started swallowing up the swamp, hundreds of residents are still under a mandatory evacuation order.

Geophyisicists now say the western side of one of the brine caverns is collapsing, filling in from deep in the Earth, causing the sinkhole at the surface to expand and contract.

“The sinkhole is constantly changing. It changes every time we go out there. Not just on the surface, but in the sub-surface,” said Gary Hecox, a hydrogeologist with CB&I, formerly the Shaw Group, who is a consultant for the state about how to best handle the sinkhole.

He said it's uncharted territory.

“The cavern was 3,400 feet deep, which is deeper than any known cavern failure impacting the surface in the international record,” Hecox said.

Nowhere in the world has a brine cavern this large collapsed, and Hecox said the data shows it's not finished yet.

“We continue to install relief wells as fast as we can and will continue to do so as they continue to be effective,” said Bruce Martin, vice president of Texas Brine.

But in recent weeks, some of the residents who stayed behind, and are living in the area at their own risk, noticed some problems that are typically invisible to the naked eye.

“Once they told us that they wanted to put monitors in our house and that we'd have to live like, to me, like lab rats, to me, that was no way for my kids to grow,” Weber said.

Many feel forgotten, Weber said. Especially by Gov. Bobby Jindal. The governor has yet to visit the sinkhole site or publicly talk about it.

Lawmakers are planning another joint hearing on the sinkhole March 18.

Much, much more at link, including video.

This is a really disturbing story. An entire environment, ecosystem, whatever, is being eaten up by this hole.

Between this, and the oil disaster in the gulf, LA seems to have received more than its "fair" share of mistreatment at the hands of business and industry. :(

http://websleuths.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=9865694

Texas Brine makes settlement offers to sinkhole evacuees
BY DAVID J. MITCHELL
River Parishes bureau
June 04, 2013

...It is this latter process that Texas Brine said Monday was delayed due to a disagreement among its insurers. The company said it did not have the funds for settlements without its insurers.

In addition to the harsh rhetoric aimed at the company Monday, Jindal also ordered a review of Texas Brine’s permits in Louisiana in reaction to the slow pace of offers.

In a statement Friday, Jindal said Texas Brine’s “long overdue decision to finally offer buyouts is welcome news.”

“However, the proof will be in the results. We will continue to hold Texas Brine accountable to make sure they clean up their mess and to ensure they make this situation right for homeowners,” Jindal said.

Texas Brine officials offered little explanation about what changed between Monday and Friday except that they continued to work with their insurers and appreciated the efforts of state Insurance Commissioner Jim Donelon....

Yeah, I wonder what happened between Monday and Friday? :waitasec: :rolleyes:

An oil company acting like Richards, what are the odds.

The State of Louisiana has spent $12 million (so far) responding to the sinkhole disaster. The state is suing Texas Brine for reimbursement of same.

“The attorney general's office filed the lawsuit in state district court in Assumption Parish, seeking reimbursement for state response costs, along with civil penalties and money to pay for mitigation of wetlands damage.”

“Sixty-three homeowners of 150 who live in the evacuation area have taken buyouts from Texas Brine. Others want to stay put, and some people are still negotiating with the company.”

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/08/louisiana_sinkhole_jindal_sues.html

Texas Brine is claiming that tremors caused the brine cavern to fail.

“But officials at the U.S. Geological Survey say the cavern's failure caused the tremors — not the other way around.”

http://www.nola.com/environment/index.ssf/2012/09/assumption_parish_sinkhole_cau.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back