GUILTY OH - Barbara Wise, 65, shot to death in hospital ICU, Akron, 4 Aug 2012

Reader

Reaction score
I thought this mercy killing had been posted but have not found it in several searches...if it is around here, please merge this post...just thought this doctor's bravery should be noted!

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=4&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_NKNWU00L4_UNEWS

AKRON, Ohio (AP) — The man charged in the suspected mercy killing of his wife at a hospital intensive care unit asked the doctor who confronted him, "Please tell me she's dead," the doctor said Monday.

In his first interview about the shooting at Akron General Medical Center, Dr. Michael A. Passero Jr. said he repeatedly asked John Wise, 66, to give up his weapon after the shooting.

"He said to me, `Please tell me she's dead,'" Passero said. After checking the monitors, Passero said, "I said quietly, `she's not dead.'"

The discussion over giving up the weapon was interrupted when the victim, 65-year-old Barbara Wise, gasped for air. According to Passero, John Wise then said: "Oh, God, she's still alive. How can she still be alive?"

According to Passero, Wise sat in a chair next to his wife, with the doctor on the other side asking for the weapon. "He had the gun in his hand but he wasn't threatening anyone," Passero said.

Wise was charged with aggravated murder in the Aug. 4 shooting. His wife died one day later.

More at link....

brave but kind of stupid! I get acting on instinct, but what if the guy was insane and it had been random?

Actually, I give the doctor a lot of credit. He assessed the situation and realized it was a distraught spouse and calmly talked to the man. I think he knew if anyone was going to be shot, it would be the spouse taking his own life.

Obviously not the best situation to be in, and I'm sure he would avoided if he could have. I'm sure he had training on how to deal with situations like this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back