744 users online (108 members and 636 guests)  

Websleuths News

Teacher Charged With Abusing Special-Needs Students

A 48-year-old teacher in Seminole County, Fla., arrested in November after being accused of torturing her autistic students was charged Tuesday with five counts of abusing the children in her class.

Accusations against teacher Kathleen Garrett (pictured, left) included rubbing a child's face in vomit and slamming another child's head so hard that he lost his front teeth, according to a Local 6 News report.

In one instance, Garrett is accused of rubbing her body against a child and saying "cry for mama."

Garrett entered a plea of not guilty Tuesday to the charges that included aggravated child abuse by willful torture, Local 6 News reported. In an earlier report, Garrett's classroom assistants said they were too frightened to speak out about the reported abuse and said they were aware of it for years.

Garrett resigned from her position at South Seminole Middle School after she was arrested in connection with the accusations. Since then, Garrett has reportedly received death threats and threatening letters, Local 6 News reported.

Garrett's charges carry a maximum of 75 years in prison.

http://www.local6.com/news/4047458/detail.html

Garrett's charges carry a maximum of 75 years in prison.
    I hope she gets the 75 years BUT i doubt she will.

In the report, Garrett's classroom assistants said they were too frightened to speak out about the reported abuse and said they were aware of it for years, Local 6 News reported Saturday
    I also believe these classroom assistants should be charged with something.
    They knew about the abuse for years but DID nothing out of fear (for themselves)
    How sickening is that.
    They are adults, they're in a job that they chose and yet they have kept quiet and let the abuse continue against these special needs kids.

These people who kept quiet, SHOULD BE CHARGED as well.

more links ...

Report: Assistants Too Frightened To Report In Torture Case
    http://www.local6.com/news/3971547/detail.html

Parents Accuse School Of Cover-Up In Torture Case
    http://www.local6.com/money/3913453/detail.html

Just my worth. Some days/posts thats real value, on others, I might need to give back change! IMO

Most folks dont have a clue as to how special ed programs are ran in the public schools. It isnt just physical abuse that is rampant, the emotional abuse is horrendous. Some of the comments I have overheard being made by school staff would curl your hair.

This 'teacher' sounds like a pure sadist who really enjoyed tormenting those students for her own pleasure.

There is absolutely no excuse for the others not reporting her or stepping in to protect the kids. If they were that scared of her they could have called in ananonymous tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Timex
    Most folks dont have a clue as to how special ed programs are ran in the public schools. It isnt just physical abuse that is rampant, the emotional abuse is horrendous. Some of the comments I have overheard being made by school staff would curl your hair.
    That's what I deal with daily as a parent and advocate, unfortunately. You would be amazed at what teachers and other parents say DIRECTLY to a mother of children with special needs. I've heard "you don't belong here"...way too many times-and that is on the minor side of it. On the middle end...I was screamed at in a school parking lot (at dismissal time) by a first grade teacher...who decided to tell me that I was going to get my child raped and brutalized if I kept insisting he go to regular school, along with how he didn't belong with "real" kids. I can't even mention the higher end abusive comments. Hard to imagine such ignorance in an educational enviornment...although there are some understanding teachers who make it worth it.

And people wonder why we want to allow our children the right to be educated with their peers. Many of the placement options for us are filled with children that can't speak--and this type of abuse from special ed is MUCH more common than you want to know. At least if someone slammed my son's head into his own vomit...there will be many witness that CAN speak...and that would be HORRIFIED. I'll take the verbal abuse ANYDAY for my child to be educated in a safe enviornment.

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    This 'teacher' sounds like a pure sadist who really enjoyed tormenting those students for her own pleasure.

There is absolutely no excuse for the others not reporting her or stepping in to protect the kids. If they were that scared of her they could have called in ananonymous tip.
    You know cashew, I dont believe their stories about being scared of her.
    I actually think they are just covering for themselves. Some have probably tormented kids as well BUT this teacher has been caught out now and these others are "trying to save their own butts".

I think (hopefully) others (assistants) may find themselves in trouble.
    If not with the Law SURELY they would have to be with the EDU system there.

~aussieb

Just my worth. Some days/posts thats real value, on others, I might need to give back change! IMO

Quote Originally Posted by fivekidz4me
    That's what I deal with daily as a parent and advocate, unfortunately. You would be amazed at what teachers and other parents say DIRECTLY to a mother of children with special needs. I've heard "you don't belong here"...way too many times-and that is on the minor side of it. On the middle end...I was screamed at in a school parking lot (at dismissal time) by a first grade teacher...who decided to tell me that I was going to get my child raped and brutalized if I kept insisting he go to regular school, along with how he didn't belong with "real" kids. I can't even mention the higher end abusive comments. Hard to imagine such ignorance in an educational enviornment...although there are some understanding teachers who make it worth it.

And people wonder why we want to allow our children the right to be educated with their peers. Many of the placement options for us are filled with children that can't speak--and this type of abuse from special ed is MUCH more common than you want to know. At least if someone slammed my son's head into his own vomit...there will be many witness that CAN speak...and that would be HORRIFIED. I'll take the verbal abuse ANYDAY for my child to be educated in a safe enviornment.

Hi fivekidz4me

I too am a "Parent and advocate" (advocate, speaker, committee member for SP.N kids in the Primary edu, SAPSSA (edu: sporting assoc), Y Junction (youth community Sp N section), Support career for 4 intellectual impaired young adults, Certificate 4 in “Community welfare” (cert4 is needed for my work at the Youth Centre and my advocacy work).

I have 2 kids of my own (1 intellectually 1 physically impaired). My involvement in the above happened solely because I was so SICK and TIRED of teachers; parents etc telling me my kids didn’t belong.

I had probs with the Education dept (primary), so I took them on and the easiest way to take them on is BY JOINING THEM.
    My kids are long gone from primary school (22 and 19) but even after they left I was still involved (not so much now). My involvement (advocacy) has been wide and varied (Education, Sporting, Community, Welfare).

My being involved in these areas and with SP N kids/youth means that I am subjected to a “Police check”. This is LAW here in aussieland (differs in each state).

I have read so many disturbing articles on these forums regarding SP.N kids and I was wondering do you have the same Law’s there???????
    Also I needed for some areas training/study (cert4 community services).
    Do you need anything similar there to be able to work with/advocate for SP.N kids?????

If you go over to the M Jackson forum I found that so scarey (SP N kids groups accepting that invite to Neverland. Sheeeesh what type of adults are looking after the well being of these kids????)
    http://websleuths.com/forums/showpos...38&postcount=5

Hopefully this teacher and SCHOOL face consequences for their actions or LACK of action.

~aussieb
    Last edited by aussieblue; 01-08-2005 at 04:01 AM. Reason: oppps need to add link