Would You Eat Lab Grown Meat? <---- Hey that rhymes!!

Would you eat lab grown meat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/13/tech/innovation/lab-grown-meat/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

Lab-grown meat gives food for thought
By Tom Levitt, for CNN
updated 7:21 AM EDT, Mon August 13, 2012 | Filed under: Innovations

...In fact, rather than attempt to race to produce an engineered meat product, Forgacs said his first lab-grown product is going to be leather, which he says "is a similar product to some extents but not as controversial and doesn't require the same legislation that meat does".

When it comes to producing meat, Forgacs says the most difficult part is creating muscle tissue that tastes, looks and feels like animal flesh....

I'd have to say this sounds really gross right now. Maybe in the future they can do something with this that I'll eat, but not now. :puke:

I'm longing for a synthetic meat breakfast sandwich as we speak.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can we pretend to eat it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can we pretend to eat it?

Put it in a napkin and stash it? Or feed it to the dog under the table?

That technical description up there, where they talk about imitating the texture and ....blech...other attributes of meat?? That's enough to make me go vegan.

That technical description up there, where they talk about imitating the texture and ....blech...other attributes of meat?? That's enough to make me go vegan.

Fake meat must be better than no meat. Where's the beef? Pass the gravy.

I wonder if they can grow it in petrie dishes full of barbecue sauce? :waitasec:

I wonder if they can grow it in petrie dishes full of barbecue sauce? :waitasec:

Sounds like my wife's recipe. Wait, those are the leftovers in our fridge, green and white and furry. :what::floorlaugh: Just kidding. I've got to clean out that fridge.

Slightly OT and not intending to usurp your thread, SD, but I was reminded of a funny fish experience that I'd like to share.

A couple of years ago, I was next in line at the seafood counter at the market where I do most of my food shopping. The fish guy was waiting on an older woman who was asking about the farm-raised tilapia that was a featured item. I could hardly keep from :floorlaugh: as the fish man tried to explain to her that "yes, the fish were in water" as the customer was having difficulty comprehending how fish could be "raised on a farm" :waitasec:

DH and I are regulars at the seafood counter, and the two full-time fish guys know both of us well. When the woman left, I told G.. that he had handled the situation admirably and that I didn't know how he kept a straight face. He had caught my :rolleyes: and knew that I, too, was amused :D

I have discovered the wonderful nutritional value of quinoa (pronouced keen-wah).
My vegan venture continues. :)

I have discovered the wonderful nutritional value of quinoa (pronouced keen-wah).
My vegan venture continues. :)

Have you tried farro? Kind of like barley, but has a more robust, nutty flavor and texture.

Slightly OT and not intending to usurp your thread, SD, but I was reminded of a funny fish experience that I'd like to share.

A couple of years ago, I was next in line at the seafood counter at the market where I do most of my food shopping. The fish guy was waiting on an older woman who was asking about the farm-raised tilapia that was a featured item. I could hardly keep from :floorlaugh: as the fish man tried to explain to her that "yes, the fish were in water" as the customer was having difficulty comprehending how fish could be "raised on a farm" :waitasec:

DH and I are regulars at the seafood counter, and the two full-time fish guys know both of us well. When the woman left, I told G.. that he had handled the situation admirably and that I didn't know how he kept a straight face. He had caught my :rolleyes: and knew that I, too, was amused :D

I'll tell ya what. I'll make pancakes for everyone and then we can all usurp. :giggle:

Beats Soylent Green.

:waitasec: Ummmm, does that mean that you've actually tried them both, or is that just a guess? :what:

Have you tried farro? Kind of like barley, but has a more robust, nutty flavor and texture.

Now why did that conjure up visions of riverboat gamblers in the 19th century...? Oh wait...that's faro... :)

Would you eat
Lab-grown meat?
Call it chow:
Synthetic cow?
Or poke your fork
In man-made pork?
How about
Chemical trout?
The recipe
For fricassee
Is alchemy.
Would you ingest
Still-in-test
Chicken breast?
Or tuna fish
All clannish
With a petri dish?

No.
I scorn
Protein unborn.

BUT
I could excuse
test-tube ragouts
To save emus.

Would you eat
Lab-grown meat?
Call it chow:
Synthetic cow?
Or poke your fork
In man-made pork?
How about
Chemical trout?
The recipe
For fricassee
Is alchemy.
Would you ingest
Still-in-test
Chicken breast?
Or tuna fish
All clannish
With a petri dish?

No.
I scorn
Protein unborn.

BUT
I could excuse
test-tube ragouts
To save emus.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Would you eat
Lab-grown meat?
Call it chow:
Synthetic cow?
Or poke your fork
In man-made pork?
How about
Chemical trout?
The recipe
For fricassee
Is alchemy.
Would you ingest
Still-in-test
Chicken breast?
Or tuna fish
All clannish
With a petri dish?

No.
I scorn
Protein unborn.

BUT
I could excuse
test-tube ragouts
To save emus.

Love it! Now you just need some pics (like Dr Suess-ish pics) and you'll sell more copies that jose baez did of that fairy tale he wrote.

Now why did that conjure up visions of riverboat gamblers in the 19th century...? Oh wait...that's faro... :)

Farro, Italy's Rustic Staple: The Little Grain That Could

By SUZANNE HAMLIN
Published: June 11, 1997

FROM a cross-country reading of the culinary winds, it appears that farro, an ancient grain believed to have sustained the Roman legions, has finally made it to the New World. Used in soups, salads and desserts, the little light brown grain is an intriguing alternative to pasta and rice...

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/06/11/g...e-grain-that-could.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back