OK - My Friend Beaten,Stabbed - For Being Gay

I am so sorry that this has happened to your friend, I hope she will recover completely. It saddens me that we still live in a world where BS like this happens, where people are judged for reasons that are no one else's business. As an Native Oklahoman, I am not surprised that mentality exists there.

I am sorry there is just so much hate in our country and so little tolerance for fellow human beings.

I wish your friend well, Snarky 247.

So sad. Where is the love that used to exist in this world of ours? It is so time for it to return .... before all is lost.

Am I right in that OK does not consider it a Hate Crime to attack someone based on their sexual orientation? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Just found this petition, apparently OK does not consider it to be a hate crime.
http://www.change.org/petitions/hel...nclude-sexual-orientation-and-gender-identity

Also from one of the articles in the first post, you are correct.

Elliott wants them to up the charges and considers what happened to be a hate crime. News 9 checked and sexual orientation is not protected under the state's hate crime statute.

Fine, if they have no ability to charge for a hate crime then the charge of "assault and battery" needs to be upgraded to attempted murder.

I am SO sorry this has happened to your friend. Please give her our wishes for a very quick recovery physically and mentally from this crime.

i hate this so so much... my brother is gay and i worry all the time. i know he can take care of himself (6'4 195lbs) but still. he left the midwest as soon as he could drive basically and never came back. there is absolutely no reason that any person should have to either live in fear or be attacked(or both)...really pizzez me off. wtf is wrong with people?

im so sorry your friend had to experience this kind of hatred, as if life isnt already hard enough sometimes... no one deserves this for being gay. ever.

Sorry your friend was attacked. Glad the perp was arrested.

People shouldn't be physically attacked over differences, whether gay, Sikh, Christian, Israeli, another race, etc.

Makes me think of the senseless shootings at the Sikh gurdwara and at Family Research Council.

And the words threatening annihilation by Ahmadinejad. It's not just in our country.

Divisiveness, anger, and violence seem to rule the day of late.

Praying for peace.

I just don't get it..if someone is gay, they're gay. I'm not..but it doesn't bother me if someone is. thats their life..I live mine, they live their's. Why should I care what someone else's sexual orientation is-I only need worry about mine..

I just don't get it..if someone is gay, they're gay. I'm not..but it doesn't bother me if someone is. thats their life..I live mine, they live their's. Why should I care what someone else's sexual orientation is-I only need worry about mine..

I'm wondering if the attacker was motivated by anger over what he thought was an insult to him? Maybe he'd hit on her a time or two then realized she wasn't interested and more importantly, why. This does sound like there was some sexual rage involved. So sad..

I'm wondering if the attacker was motivated by anger over what he thought was an insult to him? Maybe he'd hit on her a time or two then realized she wasn't interested and more importantly, why. This does sound like there was some sexual rage involved. So sad..

Police arrested 38-year-old Camino Nicole Maxwell at the apartments across the street. Court documents reveal she admitted stabbing Elliot, but said Elliot attacked her, and that she acted in self-defense. But Elliot says that's not what happened.
from OP's first link

The assailant’s arrest record dates back to 1992 where she has multiple previous arrests for DUI, possession charges, actual physical control charges, and forcible entry.
From 2nd link

The attacker was a woman with a criminal record.

This is horrible. I am so sorry this happened to your friend. Nothing justifies stabbing and attacking someone for any reason.

Terrible, terrible stuff. I lost a wonderful former student of mine, Rosalind, due to a similar, though entirely different, really, type of violence. Ros was shot to death by her lover, also a woman, in Milwaukee a couple years back. Still hurts.

Thank ALL of you from the bottom of my heart! It means the world to Kayla & Amber - and me - to know there are so many good people in the world.

I hope she's ok, and hope that the police treat this case without bias. What a vicious assault. It sounds like the attacker was not mentally stable.

I hate how that News 9 article says "claims", as though she's probably just another whining gay throwing accusations against straights.

The responses on here are heartening - I'm from England and I have to admit I thought that most Americans were homophobic, so I'm guilty of making assumptions!

It was a woman who attacked her

Fine, if they have no ability to charge for a hate crime then the charge of "assault and battery" needs to be upgraded to attempted murder.

I am SO sorry this has happened to your friend. Please give her our wishes for a very quick recovery physically and mentally from this crime.

BBM. I agree. Snarky, I'm so sorry this happened to your friend. I'm also praying for a full recovery both physically and mentally.

Federal trumps State law.

I think it's the opposite. State trumps federal, otherwise there would be no need for individual state laws, no?

If it fell under the Federal Hate Crime law, wouldn't the feds have to come in and charge the perp?

I wonder if the perp can be charged with both state and federal charges?

Anyhoo, it is ridiculous Oklahoma does not recognize sexual orientation within their laws for hate crimes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back