Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 377

Thread: West of Memphis

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,844

    West of Memphis

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfu4Venq99k"]West of Memphis - Trailer HD - YouTube[/ame]



    Oh, Michael Carson, what did you say?

    I suppose the police and prosecutors involved in this case will still try and claim that the DNA evdence is all smoke and mirrors..Pfft.

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cappuccino For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    818
    And since they took Alford pleas The State will not try to find who did it.

  4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SoBeCzar For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,844
    The person who killed those three litlle kids is still out there....

    Alford plea be damned, the state of Arkansas needs to see that justice is done.

  6. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Cappuccino For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    22,198
    In-depth Times article coincides with the release of 'West of Memphis':

    West Memphis Three, a Year Out of Prison, Navigate New Paths (New York Times)

    Recommended.
    We are, I know not how, double in ourselves, so that what we believe we disbelieve, and cannot rid ourselves of what we condemn. (Michel de Montaigne)

  8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    259
    The ending of that article is very sad IMO.
    "Then, in his book, Mr. Echols criticized Mr. Baldwin for not immediately accepting the deal, saying Mr. Baldwin had grown to love prison and was acting as if he was morally superior.

    That hurt Mr. Baldwin, who initially did not want to admit to something he says he did not do, preferring to take a chance on an upcoming hearing to examine new evidence that would have probably included DNA samples and charges of juror misconduct.

    But as the short timeline on the offer approached, he became convinced that Mr. Echols would not survive much longer.

    “I didn’t take the deal for me,” he said. “I took it for Damien.”

    The two currently are not speaking. Those around them hope the rift will heal."

    I probably wouldn't ever talk to him again.
    What you're dealing with is a horrendous crime. Three young boys murdered in cold blood. Just that alone upsets people. You look at the bodies and there are these savage injuries all over. It affects people emotionally and warps their judgement and then someone says, "Maybe it's satanic."

    And they say, "Well the only type of person who would do this would be someone like that."

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to missy_g For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    18,405
    Quote Originally Posted by missy_g View Post
    The ending of that article is very sad IMO.
    "Then, in his book, Mr. Echols criticized Mr. Baldwin for not immediately accepting the deal, saying Mr. Baldwin had grown to love prison and was acting as if he was morally superior.

    That hurt Mr. Baldwin, who initially did not want to admit to something he says he did not do, preferring to take a chance on an upcoming hearing to examine new evidence that would have probably included DNA samples and charges of juror misconduct.

    But as the short timeline on the offer approached, he became convinced that Mr. Echols would not survive much longer.

    “I didn’t take the deal for me,” he said. “I took it for Damien.”

    The two currently are not speaking. Those around them hope the rift will heal."

    I probably wouldn't ever talk to him again.
    That is sad. But how many of us have the same friends at 35 that we had at 17, even without the pressures of prison and death row?

  12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    364
    i am interested to see 'west of memphis' - i don't post a lot, but am sure you all have seen from my posts that i believe the WM3 to be guilty. i am really looking, reading, being as openminded as possible - but i am still not convinced, at all, that the WM3 are innocent.

    have watched all 3 of the 'lost' documentaries, read the 1st devils knot book, the 'blood of innocents' book, and have read every thread on this site. have also spent hours reading the transcripts @ www callahan - i am just NOT seeing/feeling any warm fuzzies for these 3 guys. to me - it seems like the cops had the bad guys right where they belonged.

    will be interesting to watch/read what happens going forward. frankly ... i'm not seeing exonerations flying around anytime soon.

    but i am trying to keep an open mind. those 3 little boys deserve justice.

  14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to news247 For This Useful Post:


  15. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    13,219


    Johnny Depp with Damien Echols at the premiere of West of Memphis at the Toronto Film Festival.

    http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...mphis-premiere

  16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to matou For This Useful Post:


  17. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    13,219
    Damien Echols "went through hell" to get permission to come to Canada to join his pal and advocate Johnny Depp at TIFF for the premiere of the documentary about his case, West of Memphis.

    "The U.S. still shows that I still have three counts of murder on my criminal record," Echols told a TIFF press conference Saturday. "So I have to go through all of these extraordinary measures that the average person wouldn't have to."
    http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/08...est-of-memphis

  18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to matou For This Useful Post:


  19. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    123
    Well, he is not the average person. He is a convicted murderer. He wants sympathy?!

  20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AngelontheRiver For This Useful Post:


  21. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Syracuse,NY
    Posts
    4,470
    Quote Originally Posted by matou View Post


    Johnny Depp with Damien Echols at the premiere of West of Memphis at the Toronto Film Festival.

    http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...mphis-premiere

    I believe they are innocent-but this picture of Damien just rubs me the wrong way..don't ask me why-it just does!!!

  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SyraKelly For This Useful Post:


  23. #12
    Contrary to popular belief, I think that Damien might still be a little uncomfortable in large crowds. Remember, he was incarcerated for over 18 years, and he has said in interviews that he has trouble dealing with crowds. Maybe that's what you're seeing here that is off-putting. Just a thought.

  24. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Compassionate Reader For This Useful Post:


  25. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    123
    Then maybe he should stay home. It is like he is dancing on those boys' graves. I am so tired of 'poor, poor Damien .'

    Is he really smart? According to whom?

  26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AngelontheRiver For This Useful Post:


  27. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Compassionate Reader View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, I think that Damien might still be a little uncomfortable in large crowds. Remember, he was incarcerated for over 18 years, and he has said in interviews that he has trouble dealing with crowds. Maybe that's what you're seeing here that is off-putting. Just a thought.
    Plus, all still photos are a moment in Time. We don't know the full context. It would be intersesting to know what had just happened/said.

    JMO but the polarizing issue of whether one believes the WM3 to be guilty or innocent is likely to color one's reaction, unless someone is truly objective or tries to isolate their bias.

    Also, I often wonder if some that assume guilt really understand the Alford plea that was taken.

    Hard for me to complain about a photo of Johnny Depp.

  28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cazzie For This Useful Post:


  29. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    Plus, all still photos are a moment in Time. We don't know the full context. It would be intersesting to know what had just happened/said.

    JMO but the polarizing issue of whether one believes the WM3 to be guilty or innocent is likely to color one's reaction, unless someone is truly objective or tries to isolate their bias.

    Also, I often wonder if some that assume guilt really understand the Alford plea that was taken.

    Hard for me to complain about a photo of Johnny Depp.
    You're exactly right about that "moment in time" thing! Quite a few politicians and at least one Prince have been caught unawares in such a moment! And, for my money, you're right about biases. People see what they want to see.

  30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Compassionate Reader For This Useful Post:


  31. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Behind the eight ball
    Posts
    2,928
    Looks like a powerful movie!
    IMHO, besides the lack of physical evidence, the recantations of so many people's testimony is the thing that makes it true to me. As you age, you develop more of a reason to tell the truth. When you're young, you'd lie just to be cool. rebellious or foolish! I believe these people were twisted and turned and psychologically coerced into saying what the police/lawyers wanted them to say and once it was on paper, they felt like an animal in a cage.. not being able to go back for fear of perjury charges... Misskelley included! Now that they are adults, they see how wrong it was and don't feel the need to be afraid of this "authority" anymore and want to purge themselves of this burden weighing heavy on their hearts...
    ETA: Glad they got it on film since they may never have a chance to recant in court..
    It's just MOO. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and it surely won't be the last!

    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



  32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deelytful1 For This Useful Post:


  33. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sunny Side of Life
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by SyraKelly View Post
    I believe they are innocent-but this picture of Damien just rubs me the wrong way..don't ask me why-it just does!!!
    He looks smug to me, but if you've ever seen or been around a true convict this is how they stand. Arms in front, feet apart, head cocked back. They all look smug and arrogent, imo. Learned behavior. It probably comes natural to him at this point. IMO


    There has always been something about DE that has bothered me. Not sure if he's guilty or not, but I tend to lean towards him alone being guilty. I've read everything there is to read and even though some evidence points elsewhere..something about him makes me so uneasy. I wonder how his wife is adjusting to him being home? Is it everything she thought it would be?
    Last edited by Luckyswife; 09-10-2012 at 07:39 PM.

  34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Luckyswife For This Useful Post:


  35. #18
    Again, people see what they want to see. As to the marriage, AFAIK, everything is great. I've heard nothing about any rift between Damien and Lorri, much to the chagrin of the nons! Believe me, if there were trouble in the marriage, it would be all over Facebook and Twitter and who knows where else? They might even re-institute The Hoax to report that. The strain on their marriage from all of the public pressure must be enormous.

    Of course, over half of the marriages in this country end in divorce. So, if their marriage fails, that doesn't prove that Damien was guilty. There's been too much of that kind of thing in this case already, like with Exhibit 500. "Ooh, Damien had problems as a teen. He must be a murderer." That's crazy logic, just as it would be crazy to assume that, should the marriage fail, it would be because Damien killed Christopher, Michael and Stevie. It simply doesn't follow.

  36. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Compassionate Reader For This Useful Post:


  37. #19
    For anyone in the area, there will be free screenings of the film starting soon:

    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...D=happeningnow

  38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Compassionate Reader For This Useful Post:


  39. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,534
    Here's a link to a recent interview with Echols. I guess he and his wife are now living in Salem, Ma........


    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162...e-after-death/
    As for presumption of innocence until proven guilty….
    Since I am not a member of a jury and this is only a discussion board I do not have to abide by the rules of the court in order to express an opinion. If we were to assume that all defendants on this board were innocent, then there really wouldn't be much to discuss.

  40. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Wishbone For This Useful Post:


  41. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SyraKelly View Post
    I believe they are innocent-but this picture of Damien just rubs me the wrong way..don't ask me why-it just does!!!

    When I see pictures of any of the WM3, laughing, smiling, enjoying life - I can't stop myself from picturing those 3 innocent little boys and wondering what their lives might have been.

  42. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to news247 For This Useful Post:


  43. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckyswife View Post
    He looks smug to me, but if you've ever seen or been around a true convict this is how they stand. Arms in front, feet apart, head cocked back. They all look smug and arrogent, imo. Learned behavior. It probably comes natural to him at this point. IMO


    There has always been something about DE that has bothered me. Not sure if he's guilty or not, but I tend to lean towards him alone being guilty. I've read everything there is to read and even though some evidence points elsewhere..something about him makes me so uneasy. I wonder how his wife is adjusting to him being home? Is it everything she thought it would be?

    I wonder about their life together now also.

  44. The Following User Says Thank You to news247 For This Useful Post:


  45. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Compassionate Reader View Post
    Again, people see what they want to see. As to the marriage, AFAIK, everything is great. I've heard nothing about any rift between Damien and Lorri, much to the chagrin of the nons! Believe me, if there were trouble in the marriage, it would be all over Facebook and Twitter and who knows where else? They might even re-institute The Hoax to report that. The strain on their marriage from all of the public pressure must be enormous.


    There's been too much of that kind of thing in this case already, like with Exhibit 500. "Ooh, Damien had problems as a teen. He must be a murderer." That's crazy logic, just as it would be crazy to assume that, should the marriage fail, it would be because Damien killed Christopher, Michael and Stevie. It simply doesn't follow.

    I agree with you on this point. I don't think their marriage failing would be indicative of the guilt of DE.

    I do think it's possible that they will grow apart. Just from my limited reading about them, it doesn't seem they have much in common other than the drive for his release from prison.

  46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to news247 For This Useful Post:


  47. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by news247 View Post
    I agree with you on this point. I don't think their marriage failing would be indicative of the guilt of DE.

    I do think it's possible that they will grow apart. Just from my limited reading about them, it doesn't seem they have much in common other than the drive for his release from prison.
    I just finished reading Damien's new book, Life After Death, and I now feel that the marriage is strong. In the book, he discusses how their relationship grew and what they share. Although it is true that getting Damien released was a compelling drive that they both shared, they also had very similar philosophies on many other things as well. Plus, there's still the push for exoneration to bind them. I hope that the marriage works, but it wouldn't be that surprising if it didn't!

  48. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Compassionate Reader For This Useful Post:


  49. #25
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,565
    this doc is being shown at a festival in NYC tomorrow. im going...so are damien, lorrie etc for a Q&A.....should be interesting

  50. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GiantPickle For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The West Memphis Three For Dummies
    By Daisy1975 in forum West Memphis III
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 02:22 PM
  2. West of Memphis
    By Compassionate Reader in forum West Memphis III
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM
  3. West Memphis 3
    By VespaElf in forum West Memphis III
    Replies: 240
    Last Post: 08-02-2007, 03:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •