1329 users online (309 members and 1020 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FL - Lake City, WhtMale UP6246, 35-50, near I-10 rest area, Nov'78

Hey folks:

I know for a little bit, everyone has been following my case on the unidentified torso that was discovered in Columbia County, FL in 1994. Here is another case that I have been also paying close attention to. In fact, this was the first John Doe case I followed since I was a young sleuther.

In 1978, unidentified skeletal remains were discover in some planted pines at a rest area westbound of Interstate 10 at the Suwannee/Columbia County line in Florida. There was no clothing recovered, although there were some features of the remains, such as a healed broken nose that may have bent to the left; Healed broken left foot; and Severe arthritis in the left hip (possibly traumatic). According to dental records, he had an overbite; Amalgam fillings on tooth #3, 4, 12, 13, 14, 18 & 31; Porcelain filling on tooth #8; Class 2-3 periodontal disease in all teeth present; and atrophy of the lower jaw in the molar area.

Like in the previous case I am working on, I have obtained some leads, but they eventually fell through. Now its your turn! So far, they have only compared DNA to that of a Roland Martin Welsch of Texas, yet the test came back negative. There is a great possibility of this JD being identified. So please help me. Give me all of your leads so I can send them to the CCSO, or write to the CCSO at:

Columbia County, Florida
    Sheriff’s Office
    Sheriff Mark Hunter
    4917 U.S. Hwy 90 East
    Lake City, FL 32055-6288

Also too, you can call the Investigations Division at 386-758-1095. Below are some links to help you out on this case:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6246 NamUs Profile
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/21umfl.html Doe Network profile
    http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...n-Doe-(3).aspx FDLE Profile

Also any questions for me, please ask here or submit your tips in a reply!
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 06-04-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Reconstruction

Very distinctive teeth!

Unfortunately, there is no record of teeth but everything else matches...

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kaplan_allan.html

and unlikely, but worth mentioning as all of the circumstances do match too...

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barreto_john.html

Why does Oregon police investigate Barreto's disappearance if he disappeared from Miami? Is that where he lived?

The sketch on Doe Network looks Asian....wonder if they were suggesting possible admixture?

I am working on all leads now on Doe Network. That was a good find DippyBlonder! And thats a good question Donjeta. I wonder that myself, but it could be as you say, he might have been from Oregon; although I am unfamiliar with the case. I will submit all leads today in both cases I am working on.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/borofsky_stanley.html

Not sure about Stanley Borofsky, but thought I'd throw him out there as a possible?

There are two other sketches of the UID not showing his teeth on NamUs.

The first one looks quite a lot like Allan Kaplan
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17678/54

DippyBlonder, did you submit Allan as a possible match? I have a feeling if he is the UID and his teeth looked like the reconstruction, it will be difficult finding a photo of him smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambercat View Post
    DippyBlonder, did you submit Allan as a possible match? I have a feeling if he is the UID and his teeth looked like the reconstruction, it will be difficult finding a photo of him smiling.
    No. I think Jason is dealing with it?

Quote Originally Posted by DippyBlonder View Post
    No. I think Jason is dealing with it?
    Hello:

My apologies on not returning to this page or updating this case information. Thank you for this tip submission. I will be contacting the Sheriffs Office on Allan Kaplan shortly and will alert the CCSO as well on this tip. I will say this person is identical looking and that they share similarities! Maybe if these remains are identified as Allan's, then possibly there will be some closure and a possible connection in the area up in North Florida as to how he could have ended up there.
    GOD BLESS EVERYONE!

I have contacted Vicki Smith of the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Missing Persons Unit. She is not in today, But I have left her a message so that she can get back to me as soon as possible. I hope to hear something from her in the next few days.
    GOD BLESS EVERYONE!

Can someone do a one-pic comparison on the John Doe sketch and the MP Allan Kaplan please? I need to post a comparison pic on the Facebook page but do not have the proper tools to do it.
    GOD BLESS EVERYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonFutchLakeCityFL View Post
    Can someone do a one-pic comparison on the John Doe sketch and the MP Allan Kaplan please? I need to post a comparison pic on the Facebook page but do not have the proper tools to do it.
    here you go.

This is VERY identical. Question is, how did this Allan Kaplan fella end up in Columbia County if this is him? Did he have contacts in North Florida? Was he running away and just found himself on the short end of the stick? If he did run, why did he run? Many, many questions can be asked here!
    GOD BLESS EVERYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonFutchLakeCityFL View Post
    This is VERY identical. Question is, how did this Allan Kaplan fella end up in Columbia County if this is him? Did he have contacts in North Florida? Was he running away and just found himself on the short end of the stick? If he did run, why did he run? Many, many questions can be asked here!
    Maybe someone had planned to hold him for ransom, since he was a business owner and all, and something went very wrong and he died in the process (I remember hearing about this happening to business men in the 1970s both domestically and internationally).

Latest updates

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    here you go.
    Hey everyone:

Thanks to CarlK90247, I was able to use his group imaging skills to obtain a side-by-side profile comparison of both John Doe and Allan Kaplan. I have also been in communication the last couple of weeks with Vicki Smith of the Palm Beach County Sheriffs Office in Boynton Beach. She is skeptical of the match, but has said she will continue to work the leads. As of right now, the Columbia County Sheriffs Office has made no official comment on this; as we have not been in contact with them since the 1994 John Doe case work I have been doing was made public.

I continue to ask for everyone's help on this. Thank you all for the help thus far in both the 1978 and 1994 cases. Thank you.

Jason
    GOD BLESS EVERYONE!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast