'Top Gun' director Tony Scott, 68, dead after leap from L.A.'s Vincent Thomas Bridge

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Hollywood legend Tony Scott dead at 68: Top Gun director, who was
brother of Ridley, commits suicide in jump from Los Angeles bridge
(Daily Mail)
Director Tony Scott has died after leaping from a bridge in Los Angeles, authorities confirmed.

Scott, 68, directed popular films including Top Gun, Days Of Thunder, Beverly Hills Cop II and Enemy Of The State.

The British-born director, who is the younger brother of director Ridley Scott, jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island in California at around 12.30pm on Sunday, said the LA Coroner's office.

According to the Contra Costa Times, Scott climbed a fence on the south side of the bridge's apex and leapt off 'without hesitation'.
---
more, with pictures, at link above

Just woke up and saw this. Incredibly sad :( He directed so many amazing films. Wikipedia is claiming that he recently found out that he had inoperable brain cancer.

Matthew Sweet ‏@DrMatthewSweet
Here's Tony Scott's first film: a chillingly beautiful art house B-movie, called Loving Memory.
YouTube link; the film's b/w and 50 minutes long.

VERY Interesting interview with him here. After I read it last night, I thought that he must have found out he had cancer, because he talks about his brother who died of cancer. And it made me wonder if he just did not want to go through that himself. And he apparently smoked 6 or more cigars a day.

But he was a very talented and loving man. RIP Tony. :rose:

http://www.ariel-leve.com/st_interviews/tonyscott.html

Just woke up and saw this. Incredibly sad :( He directed so many amazing films. Wikipedia is claiming that he recently found out that he had inoperable brain cancer.

I wouldn't be surprised if he found out he had some deadly disease. Assisted suicide is not legal so someone with a deadly disease might have to resort to jumping off bridges and such.

I understand how he could do it, if he was facing inoperable brain cancer. Brain cancer not just steals your life, but it steals *you*.

I feel so bad for his wife and children. And I pray that Tony Scott rests easily, and is at peace now.

My prayers to the family of Mr. Scott.

Best-
Herding Cats

If he did have brain cancer and didn't tell anyone, the cancer may have impaired his judgment enough for him to think this was a good way to go. Most brain cancer is pretty quick though-so the one article saying he wanted to spare his family watching him die slowly was incorrect (but if that's what he believed, okay).

The thing about that bridge--I Google mapped it and it has this TALL fencing on both sides, looks like it was meant to deter suicides. So he would have had to climb this fence and then go over.

I read that the fence is ten feet high. He knew what he wanted to do, and made sure that he succeeded. Whether it was due to cancer or to mental health issues, it is so very sad that he chose to do this.

I keep thinking about his sons. I have twin sons, though much older than his, and something like this would just break their hearts. Bless you, Tony, and I hope that you have found some peace.

No matter his reason for choosing to end his life, RIP Tony Scott

Re the TMZ story: It is possible that he did not tell his wife about the DX.

Brain cancer can take a LONG time to kill the afflicted. My lifelong best friend was diagnosed upon emergency surgery at the end of January, 1999. She survived until mid July, 2000...almost 18 months. Her quality of life diminished greatly from the outset; and in her last months, her condition was unspeakably awful. RIP Meredith

I have researched cases and found the same long ordeal to be true for many sufferers. :-(

~jmo~

my favorite tony scott film is ''man on fire.'' it was nothing like i expected. no matter how many times i see it, i cry all over again.

I read that the fence is ten feet high. He knew what he wanted to do, and made sure that he succeeded. Whether it was due to cancer or to mental health issues, it is so very sad that he chose to do this.

I keep thinking about his sons. I have twin sons, though much older than his, and something like this would just break their hearts. Bless you, Tony, and I hope that you have found some peace.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/08/tony-scott-scaled-18-foot-fence-in-bridge-jump.html

An 18-foot-high fence was installed on both sides of the bridge in the early 1970s to prevent falling debris, Caltrans officials said.

http://www.yidio.com/news/witnesses-shopping-tony-scott-suicide-footage-media-7074

For what it's worth, TMZ representatives claim someone from the site has seen the footage but refused to purchase it. For his part, neither apparently did Hilton.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back