1166 users online (224 members and 942 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Phyllis Diller Dead At 95

Comedian Phyllis Diller dies at 95

Published On: Aug 20 2012 03:35:41 PM ED

HOLLYWOOD -
    Actress/comedian Phyllis Diller has died at the age of 95, her agent confirmed to NBC News on Monday.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/entert...z/-/index.html

You beat me to it, BDE :-)

Here's another story:

Comedian Phyllis Diller dies at 95

She was a staple of nightclubs and television from the 1950s — when female comics were rare indeed — until her retirement in 2002. Diller built her stand-up act around the persona of the corner-cutting housewife ("I bury a lot of my ironing in the back yard") with bizarre looks, a wardrobe to match (by "Omar of Omaha") and a husband named "Fang."

My husband got to know Phyllis at the hungry i in San Francisco back in the 60s. He just told me (again) what a nice woman she was, and so darn funny.

R.I.P.
    Last edited by shana; 08-20-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: article quote

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Humorist Phyllis Diller dies at 95 in Los Angeles
    By SANDY COHEN, AP
    19 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES — Phyllis Diller, the housewife turned humorist who aimed some of her sharpest barbs at herself, punctuating her jokes with her trademark cackle, died Monday morning in Los Angeles at age 95.

"She died peacefully in her sleep with a smile on her face," her longtime manager, Milton Suchin, told The Associated Press.

Diller suffered a near-fatal heart attack in 1999. The cause of her death has not been released...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/...cid=hero_media

So sad! I grew up in the same hometown as Phyllis Diller (Lima, OH)

When we watched her on TV, Mom would always point that out. She was one of my heros.

RIP Phyllis!

http://www.limaohio.com/news/local_n...a4bcf6878.html
    Last edited by mikkismom; 08-20-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Add LN article.
    No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

RIP Phyllis. You made me laugh so much.

Does anyone remember the movie she was in where she played a maid who was a lush? God, she was hysterical. I think Bob Hope was in it.

Interesting note at the wikipedia article on Phyllis Diller:

She died suddenly, on August 20, 2012, of unknown causes at the age of 95, in her home, surrounded by family and friends. The exact cause of her death came under investigation, and an autopsy and toxicology tests were scheduled. However, the results were not expected to be available for at least 4 weeks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL8v-lnGpR4&feature=related"]Phyllis Diller - YouTube[/ame]

Thank you funny lady, for all the laughs over the years.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Found the movie. "Boy, Did I get the wrong number"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060186/

This movie is a campfest. Elke Sommer plays a temperamental star who ends up on the run from her studio. She inadvertently gets hooked up with married man Bobe Hope who tries to conceal her from the police and his wife Marjorie Lord. Phyllis Diller steals the show as Bobe Hope's maid. Very subtle risqué humor permeates this movie. If you listen very carefully you can hear some very suggestive dialogue between Bobe Hope and Phyllis. While Phyllis is eavesdropping on Bobe & Elke's phone call she is shown peeling a banana. When she hears a vaguely sexual remark she squeezes the bottom and the banana pops out of it's skin and onto the floor! Very subtle but VERY suggestive which is what I loved about the 60's, nothing is as blatant as today. Light fluff of a movie but lots of fun. I guess some previous viewers are so bombarded with in your face grossness these days in most movies they didn't see or appreciate the innocence of this flick.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    RIP Phyllis. You made me laugh so much.

Does anyone remember the movie she was in where she played a maid who was a lush? God, she was hysterical. I think Bob Hope was in it.
    Hi SuziQ!

Could this be it (quote from article I linked above):

She also appeared in movies, including "Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number" and "Eight on the Lam" with Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by shana View Post
    Hi SuziQ!

Could this be it (quote from article I linked above):

She also appeared in movies, including "Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number" and "Eight on the Lam" with Bob Hope.
    I will have to check out Eight on the lam. Oh my she was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkismom View Post
    So sad! I grew up in the same hometown as Phyllis Diller (Lima, OH)

When we watched her on TV, Mom would always point that out. She was one of my heros.

RIP Phyllis!

http://www.limaohio.com/news/local_n...a4bcf6878.html
    When DH's ancestors emigrated to the U.S. from Russia, they settled in Lima, OH where they started a family business. Whenever we visited relatives there, we were reminded that Phyllis Diller was the most famous individual from Lima.

wonders is offline My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are mine and mine alone.
    Ohhhh. May this wonderful funny lady rest in peace. She was one of a kind.
    A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty....

wonders is offline My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are mine and mine alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by shana View Post
    Interesting note at the wikipedia article on Phyllis Diller:

She died suddenly, on August 20, 2012, of unknown causes at the age of 95, in her home, surrounded by family and friends. The exact cause of her death came under investigation, and an autopsy and toxicology tests were scheduled. However, the results were not expected to be available for at least 4 weeks.
    Oh Good Greif! Leave it up to wikipedia to put out some conspiracy bs for a 95 year old person's death.
    A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty....

Quote Originally Posted by wonders View Post
    Oh Good Greif! Leave it up to wikipedia to put out some conspiracy bs for a 95 year old person's death.
    Then you'll be happy to know that the section has been removed and replaced with the following:

She died on the morning of August 20, 2012 at the age of 95 in her home.

:-)

RIP Phyllis, you are the best and the funniest!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH66_tFP8VA"]Phyllis Diller on The Ed Sullivan Show - YouTube[/ame]

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast