Phyllis Diller Dead At 95

You beat me to it, BDE :)

Here's another story:

Comedian Phyllis Diller dies at 95

She was a staple of nightclubs and television from the 1950s — when female comics were rare indeed — until her retirement in 2002. Diller built her stand-up act around the persona of the corner-cutting housewife ("I bury a lot of my ironing in the back yard") with bizarre looks, a wardrobe to match (by "Omar of Omaha") and a husband named "Fang."

My husband got to know Phyllis at the hungry i in San Francisco back in the 60s. He just told me (again) what a nice woman she was, and so darn funny.

R.I.P.

Humorist Phyllis Diller dies at 95 in Los Angeles
By SANDY COHEN, AP
19 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES — Phyllis Diller, the housewife turned humorist who aimed some of her sharpest barbs at herself, punctuating her jokes with her trademark cackle, died Monday morning in Los Angeles at age 95.

"She died peacefully in her sleep with a smile on her face," her longtime manager, Milton Suchin, told The Associated Press.

Diller suffered a near-fatal heart attack in 1999. The cause of her death has not been released...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20120820/US.Obit.Phyllis.Diller/?cid=hero_media

RIP Phyllis. You made me laugh so much.

Does anyone remember the movie she was in where she played a maid who was a lush? God, she was hysterical. I think Bob Hope was in it.

Interesting note at the wikipedia article on Phyllis Diller:

She died suddenly, on August 20, 2012, of unknown causes at the age of 95, in her home, surrounded by family and friends. The exact cause of her death came under investigation, and an autopsy and toxicology tests were scheduled. However, the results were not expected to be available for at least 4 weeks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL8v-lnGpR4&feature=related"]Phyllis Diller - YouTube[/ame]

Thank you funny lady, for all the laughs over the years.

Found the movie. "Boy, Did I get the wrong number"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060186/

This movie is a campfest. Elke Sommer plays a temperamental star who ends up on the run from her studio. She inadvertently gets hooked up with married man Bobe Hope who tries to conceal her from the police and his wife Marjorie Lord. Phyllis Diller steals the show as Bobe Hope's maid. Very subtle risqué humor permeates this movie. If you listen very carefully you can hear some very suggestive dialogue between Bobe Hope and Phyllis. While Phyllis is eavesdropping on Bobe & Elke's phone call she is shown peeling a banana. When she hears a vaguely sexual remark she squeezes the bottom and the banana pops out of it's skin and onto the floor! Very subtle but VERY suggestive which is what I loved about the 60's, nothing is as blatant as today. Light fluff of a movie but lots of fun. I guess some previous viewers are so bombarded with in your face grossness these days in most movies they didn't see or appreciate the innocence of this flick.

RIP Phyllis. You made me laugh so much.

Does anyone remember the movie she was in where she played a maid who was a lush? God, she was hysterical. I think Bob Hope was in it.

Hi SuziQ!

Could this be it (quote from article I linked above):

She also appeared in movies, including "Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number" and "Eight on the Lam" with Bob Hope.

Hi SuziQ!

Could this be it (quote from article I linked above):

She also appeared in movies, including "Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number" and "Eight on the Lam" with Bob Hope.

I will have to check out Eight on the lam. Oh my she was funny.

So sad! I grew up in the same hometown as Phyllis Diller (Lima, OH)

When we watched her on TV, Mom would always point that out. She was one of my heros.

RIP Phyllis!

http://www.limaohio.com/news/local_news/article_46f8b198-eafd-11e1-b208-001a4bcf6878.html

When DH's ancestors emigrated to the U.S. from Russia, they settled in Lima, OH where they started a family business. Whenever we visited relatives there, we were reminded that Phyllis Diller was the most famous individual from Lima.

Ohhhh. May this wonderful funny lady rest in peace. She was one of a kind.

Interesting note at the wikipedia article on Phyllis Diller:

She died suddenly, on August 20, 2012, of unknown causes at the age of 95, in her home, surrounded by family and friends. The exact cause of her death came under investigation, and an autopsy and toxicology tests were scheduled. However, the results were not expected to be available for at least 4 weeks.

Oh Good Greif! Leave it up to wikipedia to put out some conspiracy bs for a 95 year old person's death.

Oh Good Greif! Leave it up to wikipedia to put out some conspiracy bs for a 95 year old person's death.

Then you'll be happy to know that the section has been removed and replaced with the following:

She died on the morning of August 20, 2012 at the age of 95 in her home.

:)

RIP Phyllis, you are the best and the funniest!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH66_tFP8VA"]Phyllis Diller on The Ed Sullivan Show - YouTube[/ame]

God bless you, darlin...you were a hoot, and were definitely someone who broke through glass ceilings. You rocked, you made us laugh, and you were kind and generous.

One of a kind, she was; one of a kind, never to be replicated...much to our loss but to Heaven's gain.

Godspeed, thanks, and rest peacefully.

Best-
Herding Cats

She was hysterical. Very funny lady. I'm from Lima, her hometown, and she never forgot her roots here. She would come back here whenever she could. It wasn't that often because she was extremely busy! But we appreciated any trips she made back here. She was always very courteous to our local journalists here in town. One of them flew out to LA to interview her in her home a few years back and Ms. Diller was very gracious to her. The reporter was in tears tonight when she announced it on our local news. She will be missed.

Rest in peace.

My grandma understood my internal clock being different from everyone else's. I was a little kid in the 60s and remember so clearly staying up to watch Johnny Carson and seeing Phyllis Diller. HILARIOUS

My heart and condolences go out to Fang.

This may be offensive to some but I think Phyllis would think it was a hoot;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPces4cBQqA"]Jeffrey Ross - How did she die? - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a loving tribute by Gilbert Gottfried; http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/20/opinion/gottfried-phyllis-diller/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Above all, Phyllis Diller was hysterical
By Gilbert Gottfried, Special to CNN
updated 8:42 PM EDT, Mon August 20, 2012

(CNN) -- Way before people such as Roseanne Barr, Kathy Griffin and Rosie O'Donnell broke ground for women in comedy, there was Phyllis Diller. She got started in the late '50s, a time when female stand-up comics were a rarity.

At this time, the concept of a woman's place was truly that it was in the home; women weren't supposed to be funny. And as much as they say nowadays that comedy and show business is a boys' club, it doesn't compare with the way it used to be....

I'll never forget that laugh of hers. Bless you, Phyllis, you gave us some big ole belly laughs :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back