910 users online (144 members and 766 guests)  

Websleuths News

Judge orders drug addict to stop having children

ROCHESTER, New York (AP) --

A Family Court judge who last year stirred debate about parental responsibilities ordered a second drug-addicted woman to have no more children until she proves she can look after the seven she already has.

The 31-year-old mother, identified in court papers only as Judgette W., lost custody of her children, ranging in age from eight months to 12 years, in child-neglect hearings dating back to 2000. Six are in foster care at state expense and one lives with an aunt.

The youngest child and two others tested positive for cocaine at birth and all seven "were removed from her care and custody because she could not and did not take care of them," Judge Marilyn O'Connor said in a December 22 decision made public Tuesday.

"Because every child born deserves a mother and a father, or at the very least a mother or a father, this court is once again taking this unusual step of ordering this biological mother to conceive no more children until she reclaims her children from foster care or other caretakers," O'Connor wrote.

In a similar ruling last March, O'Connor ordered a drug-addicted, homeless mother of four to refrain from bearing children until she won back care of her children. The decision, the first of its kind in New York, is being appealed.

Wisconsin and Ohio have upheld similar rulings involving "deadbeat dads" who failed to pay child support. But in other states, judges have turned back attempts to interfere with a person's right to procreate.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/05/ch....ap/index.html

Nice in theory, but I don't see how the judge can enforce it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    Nice in theory, but I don't see how the judge can enforce it.
    Agreed!!! I wish she could be held accountable but as they ACLU will say in court (and win) she has a "right" to bear illegitmate,drug addicted children that she is unwilling and unable to care for and love so the tax payers must support them.
    So sad.
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

I can just see her going into the courtroom for the contempt of court hearing after the judge finds out she's preggers again. The judge most likely will have her put in prison until the baby is born to be sure she doesn't use drugs while she's preggers. Unfortunately, he can't make her give the baby up for adoption though.