FL FL - Cathleen Martin, 28, Fort Lauderdale, 13 March 1987

Richard

Reaction score
Cathleen Marie Martin Missing since March 13, 1987 from Cape May, NJ

Cathleen Marie Martin
Missing since March 13, 1987 from Cape May, Cape May County, New Jersey.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: September 26, 1958
Age at Time of Disappearance: 28 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 110 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian. Blonde hair; blue eyes. Martin has a coffee-colored mark on her right arm and also goes by the names of "Cathleen Buttson" and "Catina Buttson".
The Doe Network: Case File 1013DFNJ
Agency Case Number: 94-5001
NCIC Number: M-703761043

Circumstances of Disappearance
Martin was last seen on March 13, 1987 in Cape May, NJ.

Cape May Police Department 609-884-9500

Source Information:
California Missing Person Registry

Link
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1013dfnj.html
CMartin.jpg

I searched newspaper records and the only thing I can find is a Cathlene Marie Martin who had a child in 1991 named Charles Greene III in Tampa, FL. Probably no relation - but I can't find any articles about her reported missing in 1987, or anything about any other Cathleen Marie Martins, or Cathleen Buttsons, or Catrina Buttson, etc.

i never did understand that 'few details are available in her case' thing. does she not have parents? family? friends? peers? ....nobody? did no one care about her, at all? was she just an orphan who one day disappeared, but no one remembers when or how?
i just don't get how there are SO many cases like this, where there is NO information at all....

i never did understand that 'few details are available in her case' thing. does she not have parents? family? friends? peers? ....nobody? did no one care about her, at all? was she just an orphan who one day disappeared, but no one remembers when or how?
i just don't get how there are SO many cases like this, where there is NO information at all....

There can be a lot of reasons why there is little information available in a person's disappearance. Obviously someone cared enough about them to report them missing, someone loves them. But a lot of times the media won't provide coverage of a disappearance. (Adults are assumed to have left on their own unless there's evidence to the contrary. That's not considered newsworthy. Men in particular have a hard time getting coverage. Statistically speaking, the greatest demographic of disappeared people is adult black males, but how many times do you see them talking about missing black men on talk shows and stuff?)

Or perhaps the media did provide coverage, but so much time has passed that it's hard to find the original articles anymore. When I write up old cases like Cathleen's, I search two websites, Newslibrary and NewspaperArchive, which have many old newspaper articles you can read for a fee. But those sites do not have every issue of every newspaper in the country, and it's entirely possible that Cathleen's disappearance was covered extensively in some publication I just don't have access to.

I know what you mean. Unless they're scum, I can't help but care.

I am originally from New Jersey--born in Elizabeth, NJ--but grew up in Summit, NJ. My mom and I spent about two weeks in Cape May, NJ, about 1981, I think it was. It is a wonderful seaside resort, but tourists come in and out, and Cathleen Martin may have met with foul play. I do not ever remember reading anything about her anywhere. I only came across her name on the DOE NETWORK while looking up missing persons cases in New Jersey, just out of sheer curiosity, once I became aware of the DOE NETWORK.

I, too, do not understand why she's never been located, and why the "few details are available" phrase is used. It sounds like she was estranged from her family. Also, why the aliases. Very strange. She's been missing a long time now and I am sure her family, whoever and wherever they are, are wondering where she is. I have to go to the library in a day or so and will try to see if I can locate any articles in the archives of New Jersey papers, such as THE STAR-LEDGER, etc. There must be something somewhere.

One thing people need to understand is that most missing persons sites are run by volunteers. Volunteers with no special access to LE records and the like. We work with what information was made public, sometimes decades in the past. A phrase like "few details are available" are most likely the author of the case file's words, not direct quote from LE. I am sure there are people out there with more information about Cathleen but we do not know who they are. We do the best we can with limited resources and sometimes there just is no resource. It doesn't mean no one cares, it just means we do not know enough...

I moved here to Cape May in 1976. After looking at the tiny photo,she does not look familiar. It's difficult with no information.Back the,Cape May was still a small town and usually people knew each other.It doesn't say if she was from here or not. It's a tourist town with lots of people passing through. Many people came for awhile and then took off for other places. I have never seen anything here mentioning her disappearance.

Here's a better link to Case on the doe network http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1013dfnj.html
Not much different info, but the picture of Cathleen shows up better...

I did a Ancestry search and I believe that Cathleen's maiden name is Buttson, I found a Cattina M. Buttson that married a John M. Martin On September 21, 1980 (approx. date of birth for both, 1960) marriage was in St. Croix County, Wisconsin. This info comes up when I put in Cathleen Marie Martin and Cattina M. Buttson with her date of birth...... That may be why the listing of different names for her....

Cathleen favors a Jane Doe that we are discussing here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45612 ( JD's info here: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/81ufar.html ) I will go there and suggest Ms. Martin, see what others think.... Come there to see side by side, beware, though, there are post-mortem pics on the above thread....

Jeremiah 29:11-14

What is the connection to CA? Is she missing from NJ or CA? Was she seen in CA?

What is the connection to CA? Is she missing from NJ or CA? Was she seen in CA?

Missing from NJ, but don't know. Maybe they pull the information from the NJ agency. Regardless, Voluntary Missing would mean she ran away intentionally. I don't know if that means they know where she is and she's safe or what...

It has now been 25 years since Cathleen Marie Martin went missing.

Do we have any evidence that she went missing voluntarily? I wish we had more details, like what she was doing in FLA. It seems she was close to her sister, who took possesion of her kids. If she was afraid of an abusive BF, the sister would probably know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back