813 users online (137 members and 676 guests)  

Websleuths News

BetteDavisEyes is online now "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

West Nile Outbreak Largest Ever in U.S.

West Nile outbreak largest ever in U.S.

38 states have reported human infections

Author: By Elizabeth Cohen Senior Medical Correspondent

Published On: Aug 22 2012 11:37:53 AM EDT Updated On: Aug 22 2012 01:02:55 PM EDT

(CNN) -
    The recent West Nile virus outbreak is the largest ever seen in the United States, according to new numbers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The number of cases so far this year is the highest recorded through August since the disease was first detected in the United States in 1999. As of August 21, 38 states had reported human infections. The cases reported to the CDC total 1,118, including 41 deaths.

"The peak of West Nile virus epidemics usually occurs in mid-August, but it takes a couple of weeks for people to get sick, go to the doctor and get reported," said Dr. Lyle Petersen, the director of the CDC's Vector-Borne Infectious Disease Division. "Thus we expect many more cases to occur."

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifest...7/-/index.html

There seems to be so many more mosquitos here in Louisiana this year. Two people in my area have already died from West Nile virus. We have so many bayou's, lakes, and rivers here.

I act like a mad woman on a mission when I see one even outside. I bought a pest zapper for the patio.

I will be so very happy when we have our first hard freeze. IF that ever happens!
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

Quote Originally Posted by LaLaw2000 View Post
    There seems to be so many more mosquitos here in Louisiana this year. Two people in my area have already died from West Nile virus. We have so many bayou's, lakes, and rivers here.

I act like a mad woman on a mission when I see one even outside. I bought a pest zapper for the patio.
    I will be so very happy when we have our first hard freeze. IF that ever happens!
    Those pest zappers that are hand-held (sort of like a tennis racquet) work great. They are under $20 and take "D" batteries. Excellent for swatting and the zap buzz is cool too. Keep away from children, imo.

BetteDavisEyes is online now "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

West Nile Spreading Rapidly in MI

August 23, 2012 at 10:17 am

West Nile cases rapidly spreading in Michigan, health officials say
    By Kim Kozlowski
    The Detroit News

The West Nile virus has become more widespread in Michigan, leading to another death and 18 more cases in the past week during what health officials have called one of the worst seasons for the virus.

The Michigan Department of Community Health on Thursday released figures that showed there are a total of two deaths and 41 cases so far this season.

Last week, the health department reported one death in the state and 24 cases linked to the virus, so the incidence has spiked...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz24Nf8nz7a

this is downright scary --- with all this rain, we have so much standing water around it is unreal!

From the CDC

West Nile virus (WNV) activity reported to ArboNET, by state, United States, 2012 (as of August 21, 2012)

The round dark geen circle is a human case.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/west...AnybyState.htm

I'm glad they're spraying here. Aerial spraying has really cut down on the mosquitos. Now they're doing ground spraying.

West Nile Epidemic in Michigan

August 29, 2012 at 10:27 am

Fourth death reported as West Nile in Michigan reaches 'epidemic'
    By Kim Kozlowski
    The Detroit News

Michigan is experiencing an epidemic of the West Nile virus, health officials said Wednesday, as they reported a fourth death and called on residents to be vigilant, especially those who are over the age of 50 and living in inner ring suburbs of Metro Detroit.

"It's serious," Dr. Dean Sienko, interim chief medical executive of the Michigan Department of Community Health said during a conference call with reporters to brief the public on the severity of the situation...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz24wzXFbg6

Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
    August 29, 2012 at 10:27 am

Fourth death reported as West Nile in Michigan reaches 'epidemic'
    By Kim Kozlowski
    The Detroit News

Michigan is experiencing an epidemic of the West Nile virus, health officials said Wednesday, as they reported a fourth death and called on residents to be vigilant, especially those who are over the age of 50 and living in inner ring suburbs of Metro Detroit.

"It's serious," Dr. Dean Sienko, interim chief medical executive of the Michigan Department of Community Health said during a conference call with reporters to brief the public on the severity of the situation...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz24wzXFbg6

Ick. I wish we would just get to fall already. Cut their numbers down. I'm not quite ready for winter yet, but fall would help a lot.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Grand Rapids commissioner says mother is 5th death in state from West Nile Virus

Michigan health officials say state is experiencing 'epidemic' of virus activity

Published On: Aug 30 2012 07:38:21 AM EDT

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/G...z/-/index.html