Tropical Storm Issac aims toward U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalmania

Verified Paralegal
Reaction score
Website
www.websleuths.com
Tropical Storm Isaac shows a tendency to head toward Tampa and then Northern Georgia. NASA/AFP/GETTY IMAGES - Isaac strengthened on Wednesday and looked set to become a hurricane as it churned through the Caribbean on a path that could bring it to Florida during next week's Republican convention. The tropical storm, packing gusts of up to 45 mph, was expected to intensify and "could become a hurricane by Thursday," the NationIssac is expected to become a hurricane soon. Read more at link.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...69c7ca-ec7c-11e1-a80b-9f898562d010_story.html

It's looking like it is pulling west. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

I hope it loses it's wind strength and heads west and works it's way up towards the areas ravaged by the drought in the Midwest and just saturates that part of the country, that needs rain. I know it's asking a lot but the farmers, animals and crops really need it. It also makes me upset to see people losing their homes. Come on Isaac do the right thing.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/13/us/midwest-drought/index.html

"Latest model runs for Isaac
The latest set of 12Z (8 am EDT) model runs are very similar to the previous set of runs, which I discussed in detail in this morning's post. The models show a westward track to a point on the south coast of Hispaniola. Isaac's center shift to the south may require some modest adjustments to the south and west for the models. This would result in the storm spending a few hours less time over Hispaniola, and more time over or just south of Cuba. This would slightly decrease the risk to the Dominican Republic, the east coast of Florida, and the Bahamas, but increase the risk to the west coast of Florida. The ECMWF--our best performing model over the past two years--continues to be an outlier among the models. It predicts that Isaac will track just south of Cuba, cross the western tip of Cuba on Monday, then head north towards an eventual landfall in Louisiana. However, this model is keeping Isaac weaker than the other models, and thus predicts the storm will have a weaker response to the trough of low pressure over the Southeast U.S. If the official NHC intensity forecast is right and Isaac becomes a hurricane on Thursday, the more southerly track of the ECMWF is not going to verify, and Isaac will spend considerable time over Cuba on Saturday and Sunday. Where Isaac pops off the coast of Cuba will be critical in determining its future path and intensity, and at this point, we don't know it its more likely that Isaac will go up the east coast of Florida, the west coast, or straight up the peninsula over land. At this point, I'd put the odds at:

40% chance of a track through the Gulf of Mexico, west of Florida
25% chance of a landfall in South Florida, and a track mostly over the Florida Peninsula
35% chance of a track along the east coast of Florida"

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2198

OK. So. I was wondering. What are the chances of this storm (or the next one), or remnants of it, impacting southern Illinois in the next 10 days? And if so, what should I expect?

Best-
Herding Cats

OK. So. I was wondering. What are the chances of this storm (or the next one), or remnants of it, impacting southern Illinois in the next 10 days? And if so, what should I expect?

Best-
Herding Cats

Hi Herding, chances are very slim if any remnants reach Illinois you'll notice anything different than normal weather. Tropical storms lose strength over land and there's lots of land between Illinois and the gulf. If anything at all, a slim chance of normal rain if it reaches in that direction. I'll watch and post if anything looks different.

Pel

Hey RO :wave:

Looks like it's time to batton down the hatches again! *sigh*

Pensacola(ish) here, and my son went back to Tampa yesterday. Everybody in the possibility zone, get ready to get ready!

My mother is very old, living by herself and caring for my deaf wheelchair bound brother east coast fla. Please do not mess with her Issac

On another note...here is a site I use a lot to watch hurricanes...great data imagery.

http://spaghettimodels.com/

at201209_model.gif

Those of us who live in the Panhandle aren't liking the shift to the west. Just saying :wink:

No, I'm sure you are not. My oldest brother lives in Seminole, Florida and doesn't want that to happen either! I have a niece and her husband living in Key West and they are very apprehensive. They traded for a new boat not long ago and built a new house last year. At least they built it to hurricane standards with concrete pilings and lots of concrete.

I am saying prayers that this thing fizzles out. GB you all! I will be watching right along with you!

I don't see much wind shear either...a little bit but not enough to weaken it when it does become a Cat 2 or more.

Tropical storm isaac intermediate advisory number 8a
nws national hurricane center miami fl al092012
200 am ast thu aug 23 2012
...reconnaissance aircraft finds the center of isaac is reforming
farther south...

This could be bad, it could just stay to the west of Cuba and therefore, the storm will not weaken due to land. The good note could be that it continues so much to the west that it might miss the USA. Doubtful but hey, hurricanes have a mind of their own.

Those of us who live in the Panhandle aren't liking the shift to the west. Just saying :wink:

I think it's going west of the panhandle as well :). I'm breathing a sigh of relief as it looks like it's even farther west today. It needs to head for the drought areas with just enough force to bring lots and lots of needed rain. That's what my prayers are asking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado