TX TX - DAVID ELLIOTT PENTON, Texas Child Murders (Proctor/Meeks/Reyes) 1980

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Accused child-killer pleads guilty

By JENNIFER EMILY / The Dallas Morning News

McKINNEY - A man accused of killing three young Dallas-area girls in the mid-1980s pleaded guilty to all three murders Thursday afternoon.

David Elliott Penton was accused in the abduction-slayings of 4-year-old Roxann Reyes, Christie Diane Proctor, 9 and Christi Lynn Meeks, 5. He was extradited to Texas from an Ohio prison in 2003 to face the charges.

As part of Thursday's plea, Mr. Penton will finish out his sentence in Ohio, where he was serving a life prison term for killing a 9-year-old Columbus girl in 1988. He is eligible for parole there in 2027. At that point, Mr. Penton would be sent to Texas to begin another life term. The plea avoids the death penalty.

For years, authorities suspected Mr. Penton in the three unsolved slayings but were unable to tie him to Texas after he was honorably discharged from the Army in Killeen in late 1985. Mr. Penton pleaded guilty to the manslaughter death of his 1-month-old son in 1985. During an appeal of his sentence, he fled. It has been unclear where he was from 1985 until he was taken into custody in Ohio in 1988.

In 2003, Plano police forwarded the cases to Collin County prosecutors, who persuaded a grand jury to indict Mr. Penton on three capital murder charges. They would not say what new evidence connected the inmate with the local killings.

The bodies of the three Dallas-area girls were found in Plano, Murphy and Lake Texoma months, even years after they vanished.

Christi Meeks disappeared during a game of hide-and-seek outside her mother's Mesquite apartment complex in January 1985 and was found dead less than three months later in Lake Texoma.

Christie Proctor's body was found in a south Plano field in April 1988, more than two years after the fourth-grader was last seen walking from her North Dallas apartment to a friend's house. And Roxann Reyes was snatched from an alley while playing outside her Garland apartment in November 1987.

www.dallasnews.com

Very interesting story. If this dirtbag had progressed to the point of killing five children (including his own) in such a short time, the question has to be where was he before 1985?

That would not be hard to determine, because he was in the Army and his service record would indicate all the places that he was stationed. In a case like this, when someone has been identified, tried, and convicted as a serial killer, the FBI should take an active look at his past to see if there might be other similar cases which are still unsolved.

He also suspect in other disappearance

Amber Nicole Crum-December 26, 1983

Angelica Maria Gandara-July 14, 1985

Ara Denise Johnson- April 2, 1986

Shannon Marie Sherrill-October 15, 1986

I just found out about this man and believe I am one of his victims.

In 1983 I was lured from a North Texas apartment complex, sexually assaulted, and abandoned in a wooded area. I was about 4. We never really spoke about it again other than a brief acknowledgment that a man had been arrested for doing similar things and was in prison. I can’t shake the feeling that this is the man who hurt me.

Where can I find out more about his whereabouts in 1983? He’s a suspect in the disappearance of Amber Crum in Dallas in December of 83 so I feel like the police think he was in the area. Thank you.

Are you still around here? In the event that it is a yes tell me (if you can) a summary of the case to help you (more than anything because during the time that happened some things could change)

David Elliott Penton, Ohio Prison Inmate

CHRONOLOGY OF PENTON CASE

Nov. 23, 1984: David Penton, a soldier stationed at Fort Hood, is charged in the death of his 1-month-old son in Killeen Texas in Bell County...

Jan. 19, 1985: Five-year-old Christi Lynn Meeks is abducted while playing outside her mother's apartment in Mesquite Texas..

April 3, 1985: The body of Christi Lynn Meeks is found floating in Lake Texoma...She is identified two weeks later...

May 1985: Penton pleads guilty to manslaughter in the death of his son and receives a five-year prison sentence from a judge...

Penton is freed on an appeal bond and flees...

Feb. 15, 1986: Christie Diane Proctor, 9, of North Dallas is reported missing by her family as she was walking from a North Dallas apartment to a friend's house..

Nov. 3, 1987: Four-year-old Roxann Hope Reyes is abducted from behind her mother's Garland home at the Meadow Terrace Apartments while playing with a friend in the late afternoon.. Her abductor is described as a man driving a gray, four-door sedan...

March 31, 1988: Nydra Ross, 9, of Dayton, Ohio, is reported missing while visiting relatives in Columbus, Ohio...

April 1988: Christie Proctor's body is found in a south Plano field more than two years after her disappearance...

An autopsy reveals she was strangled & sexually assaulted...

About the same time,Penton is arrested in the Ross slaying...

Authorities in Bell County try to extradite Penton from Ohio...

May 19, 1988: The body of Roxann Reyes is found in Murphy, just east of Plano.
The 9 year old had been strangled and sexually assaulted...

Aug. 15, 1988: Area detectives acknowledge that David Penton is being questioned in the deaths of the three Dallas-area girls..

They confirm that all three died by strangulation,but they can't find evidence that Penton was in Texas at the time of the abduction-slayings...

Sept. 15, 1988: Police find the body of Nydra Ross in a creek bed in rural Marion County, Ohio...

May 10, 1990: Penton is indicted on charges of kidnapping and killing Nydra Ross...

Nov. 1991: North Texas police question a 52-year-old suspect in the Christi Lynn Meeks case, but no charges result and he is never identified...

1992: Penton is convicted & sentenced to life in prison for killing Nydra Ross...

Penton becomes eligible for parole in 2027...

Dec. 2002: Mesquite Texas police interview Christi Lynn Meeks' brother, Michael Meeks Jr.,who was 7 at the time of her abduction. He was playing outside with her on the day she disappeared...

May 21, 2003: Plano Texas police file capital murder charges against 45-year-old David E Penton in the abduction-slayings of Christi Lynn Meeks, Christie Diane Proctor & Roxann Hope Reyes...

If Penton is indicted on the charges, Collin County authorities say, they will seek the death penalty...

David E Penton makes a deal & pleads Guilty to all 3 abductions,rapes & murders to get 3 Life sentences instead of the Death Penalty...

LINK:

1980's Child Serial Killer : David E Penton

I just found out about this man and believe I am one of his victims.

In 1983 I was lured from a North Texas apartment complex, sexually assaulted, and abandoned in a wooded area. I was about 4. We never really spoke about it again other than a brief acknowledgment that a man had been arrested for doing similar things and was in prison. I can’t shake the feeling that this is the man who hurt me.

Where can I find out more about his whereabouts in 1983? He’s a suspect in the disappearance of Amber Crum in Dallas in December of 83 so I feel like the police think he was in the area. Thank you.

Hugs to you. Hope you have found a way to recover.

Sometimes, crimes involving the most innocent victims can be the most difficult t0 solve.

David Elliott Penton, Ohio Prison Inmate

CHRONOLOGY OF PENTON CASE

Nov. 23, 1984: David Penton, a soldier stationed at Fort Hood, is charged in the death of his 1-month-old son in Killeen Texas in Bell County...

Jan. 19, 1985: Five-year-old Christi Lynn Meeks is abducted while playing outside her mother's apartment in Mesquite Texas..

April 3, 1985: The body of Christi Lynn Meeks is found floating in Lake Texoma...She is identified two weeks later...

May 1985: Penton pleads guilty to manslaughter in the death of his son and receives a five-year prison sentence from a judge...

Penton is freed on an appeal bond and flees...

Feb. 15, 1986: Christie Diane Proctor, 9, of North Dallas is reported missing by her family as she was walking from a North Dallas apartment to a friend's house..

Nov. 3, 1987: Four-year-old Roxann Hope Reyes is abducted from behind her mother's Garland home at the Meadow Terrace Apartments while playing with a friend in the late afternoon.. Her abductor is described as a man driving a gray, four-door sedan...

March 31, 1988: Nydra Ross, 9, of Dayton, Ohio, is reported missing while visiting relatives in Columbus, Ohio...

April 1988: Christie Proctor's body is found in a south Plano field more than two years after her disappearance...

An autopsy reveals she was strangled & sexually assaulted...

About the same time,Penton is arrested in the Ross slaying...

Authorities in Bell County try to extradite Penton from Ohio...

May 19, 1988: The body of Roxann Reyes is found in Murphy, just east of Plano.
The 9 year old had been strangled and sexually assaulted...

Aug. 15, 1988: Area detectives acknowledge that David Penton is being questioned in the deaths of the three Dallas-area girls..

They confirm that all three died by strangulation,but they can't find evidence that Penton was in Texas at the time of the abduction-slayings...

Sept. 15, 1988: Police find the body of Nydra Ross in a creek bed in rural Marion County, Ohio...

May 10, 1990: Penton is indicted on charges of kidnapping and killing Nydra Ross...

Nov. 1991: North Texas police question a 52-year-old suspect in the Christi Lynn Meeks case, but no charges result and he is never identified...

1992: Penton is convicted & sentenced to life in prison for killing Nydra Ross...

Penton becomes eligible for parole in 2027...

Dec. 2002: Mesquite Texas police interview Christi Lynn Meeks' brother, Michael Meeks Jr.,who was 7 at the time of her abduction. He was playing outside with her on the day she disappeared...

May 21, 2003: Plano Texas police file capital murder charges against 45-year-old David E Penton in the abduction-slayings of Christi Lynn Meeks, Christie Diane Proctor & Roxann Hope Reyes...

If Penton is indicted on the charges, Collin County authorities say, they will seek the death penalty...

David E Penton makes a deal & pleads Guilty to all 3 abductions,rapes & murders to get 3 Life sentences instead of the Death Penalty...

LINK:

1980's Child Serial Killer : David E Penton

I suppose that right now we are looking for new evidence to be able to convict him, nl?

Very interesting story. If this dirtbag had progressed to the point of killing five children (including his own) in such a short time, the question has to be where was he before 1985?

That would not be hard to determine, because he was in the Army and his service record would indicate all the places that he was stationed. In a case like this, when someone has been identified, tried, and convicted as a serial killer, the FBI should take an active look at his past to see if there might be other similar cases which are still unsolved.

I know he was stationed in Korea for a time but I’m not sure exactly when.

This might sound like an odd question, but did David Penton ever spend time in central Wisconsin? When I was 5 or 6, a man in a light blue car tried to lure my friend and I into the car by offering us some candy. The thing that has always stuck out to me most was that he used the phrase "Hey young'uns- want some candy?" He had a strong southern accent. I had never heard anyone use the word 'young'uns' where I lived. He was obviously not from the area. This would have been somewhere from 1984 to 1986, I believe (I remember actually re-enacting this scenario as a 'play' with my classmates in 2nd grade, so I know it was before then). Specifically, I believe it was on a federal holiday (We were walking to the library when it happened. My friend and I tried running to the library door and it was locked, and when my mom caught up to us, we talked about 'oh, that's right, it's a holiday'.). We didn't report the incident at the time, though. But it's bugged me ever since.
I just saw that his victims were ages 4-9, that he was active during the same time period, that he traveled a lot, he had a blue car in at least one other reported case, he was known in other cases to offer kids candy, and he would have likely had a southern accent.
Probably a long shot, but....
(Alternatively-- if anybody has any ideas on whether or not this information may be helpful anywhere else, I'm all ears. Especially since he wasn't native to the area, I've been haunted for years that maybe somebody has flown under the radar because the person wasn't known by law enforcement to be affiliated to that location)

Probably the only thing I can add is that the phrase " young 'uns" for calling children instead of " Hey, y'all" in the South points to someone who was either elderly, or who lived with an elderly person.

This was a phrase used in and possibly before the 60's, but one that I've not heard in many years. Ironically, I was just thinking about my own grandfather calling me a " young 'un" even though he certainly knew my name when I was a child. It always sounded " off" to me because he was the only one who ever said it. Other people called me by my name, or said some other type of ordinary salutation.

"Young 'uns" was likely meant to be sweet, and my grandfather was very kind and quiet, but it was freaky to hear for some reason. I think terms and slang changes, and it's likely he heard this when he was growing up or something.
He grew up on a farm and had 8 siblings, so rural Southern until he'd made his fortune in real estate in later life.

Probably the only thing I can add is that the phrase " young 'uns" for calling children instead of " Hey, y'all" in the South points to someone who was either elderly, or who lived with an elderly person.

This was a phrase used in and possibly before the 60's, but one that I've not heard in many years. Ironically, I was just thinking about my own grandfather calling me a " young 'un" even though he certainly knew my name when I was a child. It always sounded " off" to me because he was the only one who ever said it. Other people called me by my name, or said some other type of ordinary salutation.

"Young 'uns" was likely meant to be sweet, and my grandfather was very kind and quiet, but it was freaky to hear for some reason. I think terms and slang changes, and it's likely he heard this when he was growing up or something.
He grew up on a farm and had 8 siblings, so rural Southern until he'd made his fortune in real estate in later life.
Yeah... that makes sense. This particular person looked to be in his late 20s or early 30s. Average height. Sandy brown hair that was possibly curly or otherwise a little shaggy- not long, but not exactly slicked back or anything. I think he also had a moustache-- like the cheesy 70s/80s style kind. Definitely a southern accent, though.

Last edited:
Are you still around here? In the event that it is a yes tell me (if you can) a summary of the case to help you (more than anything because during the time that happened some things could change)
We’re you asking me? I’m sorry I just saw this comment.

Yeah... that makes sense. This particular person looked to be in his late 20s or early 30s. Average height. Sandy brown hair that was possibly curly or otherwise a little shaggy- not long, but not exactly slicked back or anything. I think he also had a moustache-- like the cheesy 70s/80s style kind. Definitely a southern accent, though.
I don’t know, but he is from Ohio so I’m not sure if he has a southern accent. Either way, that’s a very scary experience. I am so glad you’re ok.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back