Identified! CA - Holtville, WhtMale UP 10545, 20-35, in desert, Aug'12 - David Pangerl

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Starting a new thread for a newbie who doesn't yet have thread starting capabilities.

NamUs UP # 10545 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10545

Unidentified White Male
Found on August 11, 2012 in Holtville, Imperial County, California.

Vital Stats
Height: 5'7" (67 inches)
Weight: 150 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Head Hair: Light brown hair, could be lighter, undetermined due to decomposition and sun damage, full hair, about one inch

Clothing and Accessories
Clothing: black t-shirt, black starter shorts (dri-star).
Footwear: Flip flops
Jewelry: necklace (chrome or silver) with shark tooth attached.
Possessions: Military duffle bag (marked 1065527 & 1085527) and green water canteen.

Body condition
Condition: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Postmortem Interval: 1 day​

Circumstances
Decedent found in desert campgrounds, extreme weather conditions, no food or water.​

You have a tie-in on height and age, but I don't see a whole lot more.

Stockton is quite a ways from Imperial County, and with a five month lag (and a one-day-old body) there isn't a real good tie-in there.

His hair description is off not only on length, but also on the darkness (though they do say that might be mistaken).

The body condition description says "not recognizable", but the body was intact enough to get fingerprints, so I would think that a prior gunshot injury would have probably been noticed. But that is not certain either.

The military duffle and canteen would seem to suggest someone with a military background.

None of these negatives are rule-outs, but I would probably want to see more before I got too excited.

You have a tie-in on height and age, but I don't see a whole lot more.

Stockton is quite a ways from Imperial County, and with a five month lag (and a one-day-old body) there isn't a real good tie-in there.

His hair description is off not only on length, but also on the darkness (though they do say that might be mistaken).

The body condition description says "not recognizable", but the body was intact enough to get fingerprints, so I would think that a prior gunshot injury would have probably been noticed. But that is not certain either.

The military duffle and canteen would seem to suggest someone with a military background.

None of these negatives are rule-outs, but I would probably want to see more before I got too excited.

And you are right. I thought about all that too, but its a start. Maybe not in the right direction, but still. Thank you for starting this Carl.

How about Adam Clayton Lyle Jones?

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11063/17
His Oldsmobile was found at the Grand Canyon National Park. I'd like to know which cities in California he had marked.

Holtville is over seven hours away from the Grand Canyon National Park - if this is Adam, how did he end up so far from his car?

His disappearance raises lots of questions: why was he travelling cross country with just his laptop?

Holtville is over seven hours away from the Grand Canyon National Park - if this is Adam, how did he end up so far from his car?

His disappearance raises lots of questions: why was he travelling cross country with just his laptop?

He would have had to meet up with someone else and get a ride from them. I would like more information about his car when it was found (was it operable, etc?). Traveling cross country with just a laptop is strange. I wonder if the laptop was the only thing his family noticed was missing (he took clothes and hygiene products, but his family didn't notice that they were gone? I guess some hygiene items you can buy once you get to your destination, but sometimes that is expensive.).

First name Richard
Last name Donaldson

Date LKA December 21, 2011 00:00
Date entered 12/27/2011
Age LKA 21 to years old
Age now 22 years old
Race White
Sex Male
Height (inches) 67.0
Weight (pounds) 145.0

from NamUs : https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/13464

Height, weight, age, general US area and circumstances look pretty good. Charley project says he has mental health problems.

I'm confused, the NAMUS page says they estimate the man had been dead for 1 day, but that his face was unrecognizable and putrifying. I had to look up putrefaction on wikipedia and they provide a timeline that estimates a body takes about 4 weeks for the face to be unrecognizable. I could see it being different due to weather conditions, but 4 weeks sooner?
Also, since this is a desert area, wouldn't the body be more likely to dry out and mummify rather than rot?
Someone please set me straight! :)

I'm confused, the NAMUS page says they estimate the man had been dead for 1 day, but that his face was unrecognizable and putrifying. I had to look up putrefaction on wikipedia and they provide a timeline that estimates a body takes about 4 weeks for the face to be unrecognizable. I could see it being different due to weather conditions, but 4 weeks sooner?
Also, since this is a desert area, wouldn't the body be more likely to dry out and mummify rather than rot?
Someone please set me straight! :)

I know there are a lot of factors that contribute to mummifcation so we can't be sure that simply being in a hot desert environment will preserve the body in that way.
I was also confused about the 1 day. Either it is wrong, or something happened (animals? He had been in a bad fight or accident right before dying?).

How about the hair? How does it decompose enough in one day to be undetermined color?

It appears with military duffle bag he could be military.

Stupid question alert: Is it unusual for someone to be walking desert campground in flip flops?

The reason I ask is I googled missing persons last seen wearing flip flops and I realize this is a long shot considering Kyle's been missing since 2007 but his mom said he's an adventureous type so who knows. Unfortunatley, I couldn't find any other description of Kyle (height weight, etc). He's a Canadian from British Columbia.

On August 30, 2007, Kyle MACDONALD (24 yrs old) was dropped off by his girlfriend in Victoria's Inner Habour, where he boarded an 11:20 am Harbour Air flight to Vancouver. Kyle told his girlfriend he was going on a fishing trip. Kyle was carrying a Calvin Klein duffel bag, tackle box, small fishing rod, wearing shorts, a T-shirt and 'flip-flop' sandals.

http://www.avcrimestoppers.ca/missing/kyle-macdonald

Jamieson said her son is a skilled outdoorsman and would often go into the wilderness for several days at a time without giving his exact whereabouts. But she said he would never go for longer than a few days without contacting her.

http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=487096cf-fa71-45fb-8689-775d7d15c507

Also the shark tooth pendant (Kyle is/was a fisherman)

How about the hair? How does it decompose enough in one day to be undetermined color?

That is what is throwing me off on the "1 day" information. I don't think intense sun would bleach out the hair color that fast.

But we also have to consider that he could have been out there for a few days, injured or sick and slowly dying of thirst. So if he is lying in the sun under some scrub or something then maybe before he passes he is already sun burnt to blistering, his hair might be lightened by the sun, etc. That is the only thing I can come up with that could explain the 1 day issue.

But can't the they look at the roots or some section of the head that didn't get exposed to sun as much?

As far as the flip flips, since he was camping there it is likely that he had those for walking around the site. Sand is a problem. Maybe he had another pair of shoes? What was in the bag?

I can't find any information about him going missing.

I can't find any information about him going missing.

I can't either. Bizarre considering he was military. Wasn't anybody looking for him?:waitasec:

Glad he has his identity back. Such a good looking young man.

RIP David :rose:

5087294238900.preview-300.jpg

Adam was last seen in March 2011 by his family. He always wanted to see the country and decided to take a road trip. He went to numerous places before disappearing at Grand Canyon. I lived in Arizona at the time of his disappearing and grew up with Adam and were fairly close. At the time he disappeared I haven't heard from him in months and didn't knoiw he was in Arizona until his dad told me he was. I still think about him and wish he would show up... he was about 140 pounds, with dirty blonde/brown hair like in his picture above, about 5'6 or 5'7...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back