Earthquake swarm in Cali and Arizona

Well..... Being a So. Cal. Gal.... This news is rather unsettling...:what:

(No pun intended.... Well.... Kinda....)

http://www.mercurynews.com/californ...235/series-earthquakes-rattles-san-diego-area

Associated Press story

"USGS seismologist Lucy Jones said earthquake swarms are characteristic of the region, known as the Brawley Seismic Zone.
"The area sees lots of events at once, with many close to the largest magnitude, rather than one main shock with several much smaller aftershocks," Jones said.
The last major swarm was in 2005, following a magnitude-5.1 quake, she said.
Sunday's quake cluster occurred in what scientists call a transition zone between the Imperial and San Andreas faults, so they weren't assigning the earthquakes to either fault, Graves said."

I follow earthquake news on twitter and I guess they are about to break a 30 year historical record with over 200 today. The night isn't over yet. We are in AZ but not near Yuma. It's rockin' & rollin' it appears. Be safe CA!

I get an email ever time there is an earthquake in my area and I have 15 or 20 in my mailbox. Never seen that before.

Eta I just counted there are 19 since 12:20 pm my time

Nineteen in about nine hours?! Holy moly!

Good ole Mother Nature, she always has the last say. Prayers for you California peeps. :please:

Prayers for everyone that might be affected. Are they detectable to people just going about their everyday business, or are they too small for people to feel them?

I would think that a series of small quakes is a good thing overall. It's better to let the pressure off slowly than in one big jump. JMO

Nineteen in about nine hours?! Holy moly!

Good ole Mother Nature, she always has the last say. Prayers for you California peeps. :please:

Kinda wild!!!

Hurricane in eastern US...

and Earthquakes in western US...:what:

Prayers for everyone that might be affected. Are they detectable to people just going about their everyday business, or are they too small for people to feel them?

I am not feeling them...

but it is definitely an interesting phenomenon!

Interesting that we just had a swarm of them in Yorba Linda a few weeks ago. I agree with Steely, release the pressure a little at a time. No "big ones" please!

Feeling earthquakes here in Newport Beach. Just had 1

Just felt it too in Rancho Santa Margarita, JBean... and then a little one after that!

ETA: It was a 4.1 in the Greater Los Angeles area! 20:31 UTC

Then a 2.1... approx. 4 minutes later

Greater L.A. area.....

I was in RSM yesterday. :) Bet it is HOT by you right about now. Stay cool!

I was in RSM yesterday. :) Bet it is HOT by you right about now. Stay cool!

Thanks, JBean!:seeya:

It has,been getting "warm" up here under Saddleback!

but...

DH and I use our AC when these heat waves hit..

it's worth the $$ during these few months of 90 degrees and above!

and our 13 year old pup needs the AC too! :beagle:

Did you feel more EQ's today?

Interesting that we just had a swarm of them in Yorba Linda a few weeks ago. I agree with Steely, release the pressure a little at a time. No "big ones" please!

Unfortunately a swarm can release the pressure or build it up. I don't think they have the science to tell which is going on now.

But it's true there's no reason to ASSUME this swarm will lead to catastrophe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back