Parents go to detention

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Susan and Steven Manis say it was their fault their daughter was late for school so they shared her punishment — spending an hour with her in detention. The couple says their 13-year-old daughter, Jessica Dunkley, was being unfairly punished for being late six times in October and November when the family's van wouldn't start.

So when administrators insisted the Pearland Junior High School East seventh-grader would have to spend an hour in detention, they decided to go with her.

"We're more at fault than she is," said Susan Manis, who had appealed the administration's decision.

After the punishment was over, Jessica said it was "a little embarrassing" to have her mom and stepfather in detention with her. But, she said, "I'm proud of them for sticking up for what they believe in."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2005-01-07-parents-detention_x.htm

Casshew said:
Susan and Steven Manis say it was their fault their daughter was late for school so they shared her punishment — spending an hour with her in detention. The couple says their 13-year-old daughter, Jessica Dunkley, was being unfairly punished for being late six times in October and November when the family's van wouldn't start.

So when administrators insisted the Pearland Junior High School East seventh-grader would have to spend an hour in detention, they decided to go with her.

"We're more at fault than she is," said Susan Manis, who had appealed the administration's decision.

After the punishment was over, Jessica said it was "a little embarrassing" to have her mom and stepfather in detention with her. But, she said, "I'm proud of them for sticking up for what they believe in."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2005-01-07-parents-detention_x.htm

Way To Go for these parents, NOW THATS PARENTING
even though the kid was embaressed she's proud and thats a good thing.

The world needs more parents like these

~aussieb

I did that for my son when he was in the sixth grade. It was entirely my fault he was late because I had issues with the car, three kids (three schools), and worked nights. He was just at the end of my loop as I dropped them all off in the morning. Of course you have the goodie two shoe mommie (just kidding) who drive like 1mph right in front of you knowing your gonna make your kid late!!! lol. My Ex husband pulled a disappearing act during this time so I had no help at all.

When my son recieved notice that he will serve detention I called and argued with the school to no avail. So I sat with him. Things were a little scary at home we didnt know what was up with my husband so I just didnt want him sitting there frustrated and upset about how things were going at home. He got the biggest grin on his face when I walked in the door. I was his HERO!!!

When I filed for divorce the courts said it was automatic shared custody. My kids freaked. We got a gaurdian ad litem and the kids got to talk to her and a councelor. When they walked out of the room my kids were drained and visibly relieved? I was immediately granted full custody. I was told by the judge that my oldest son told them the story of me staying with him during detention. Thats the only thing any of my kids said during the whole meeting. The other two were completely silent.

When asked about their dad. Complete silence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back