Airline Dress Codes?

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Airlines can say: You can't wear that

What is the appropriate way to dress for airline travel?

Published On: Aug 27 2012 01:12:04 PM EDT

DALLAS -
Airlines give many reasons for refusing to let you board, but none stir as much debate as this: How you're dressed.

A woman flying from Las Vegas on Southwest this spring says she was confronted by an airline employee for showing too much cleavage. In another recent case, an American Airlines pilot lectured a passenger because her T-shirt bore a four-letter expletive. She was allowed to keep flying after draping a shawl over the shirt.

Both women told their stories to sympathetic bloggers, and the debate over what you can wear in the air went viral...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...hat/-/1719418/16281326/-/d52b81z/-/index.html

Many restaurants have dress codes so why not airlines.

Why is it okay to wear sweatpants or pajamas on a plane but you can't show some cleavage? I don't get it. I think everyone should wear what they want to. Even the shirt with the "bad word" is fine with me. I'll judge your outfit, no matter what you're wearing. :D

Those tickets are expensive, and if paid for, they should be allowed on. It's not a restaurant where they can refuse you service before you're even seated. You pay for your ticket, check your luggage (which costs up to $100), stand in lines, THEN have someone tell you you're showing too much cleavage. . . . well to bad if they don't like it. If you go home to change, you miss your flight. The airline needs to leave dress codes out of it, or stipulate it before you pay for your ticket, and it needs to be nation-wide. What one person at one airport might find offensive may be no problem in another airport. With the threats of terrorism that have been jammed down our throats, you'd think a dress code would be the last thing they need to worry about. They should be asking themselves how they let a knife slip past them, even tho they searched the bag and it was in plain view, when I flew out of Vegas a couple of years ago. They were so focused on a bottle of Milk of Magnesia that they completely ignored the knife. (For anyone wondering, I was in Vegas for a martial arts conference and the knife was part of the training equipment I had to bring. I just left it in my carry-on by accident. I thought it was in my checked luggage until I got home and unpacked.)

The ironic thing is while the airlines are worried about "decency" the TSA is busy forcing Americans citizens to strip just for the "fun of it".

Take off your sweater, jacket, hat....TAKE THAT HAT OFF NOW SIR, NOW!!! It is for YOUR SAFETY!!!!

Passenger in front of you may be Muslim and wearing several head to toe layers of clothing, the Seikh in front of you may have a turban on, you can be sure they won't be asked to remove ANY of it as that would violate their special rights! Rights the average American doesn't have.

The airlines are privately run companies, they can do as they like. The TSA is government run and that is a whole different ballgame.

Passengers' wearing apparel isn't a problem for me, but folks bringing strong-smelling foods onboard can make the flight unpleasant. By their nature, aircraft cabins are closed environments that offer little air circulation. Pizza, deli sandwiches, fajitas, burgers, fries, cinnamon rolls, etc. that passengers bring onboard tend to create foul odors that can be worse than it was when smoking was permitted in the cabin.

As long as my fellow passengers are wearing clean clothes, have had a bath/shower, and aren't wearing too much perfume, I don't really care what they wear. :moo:

We were leaving DC in Feb. My daughter, without thinking, put a razor and small container of shaving cream into her carry on, in a hurry to not miss our flight. When we went through airport security and the bag was going thru the scanner, an alarm went off and they pulled her aside as they searched her carry-on. They found it! The pesky shaving cream was removed from the bag and put in the trash can. They gave her bag back with the razor still inside and didn't say a word about it. SMH..

Traveling by air has changed drastically over the last 20 years. I travel by air a good deal, and yes, I travel NRSA, which means I basically pay only sales tax on my ticket, and yes, there is a dress code for those of us who travel NRSA. Should a person paying full fair be subject to a dress code? I don't know, it's more a question of being dressed decently, IMO, I really don't care if someone is wearing sweat pants or jeans or a turban or whatever as long as it's clean. I've seen some questionable outfits over the years, but I've never seen anyone asked to remove a particular item or cover themselves. I have witnessed airline staff requesting a passenger who had horrendous body odor to leave the cabin (flight was Chicago to Sacramento - no stops - around 6 hours). I guess it boils down to how you want to present yourself. Air travel is fast becoming no different than traveling by bus....head 'em up, move 'em in, let 'em out.

Guess we can choose another airline. Must scroll up to see which one to boycott.

When this hits them on the bottom line, perhaps policies will change.

Totally clueless on why some businesses shoot themselves in the foot.

The world has gone crazy.

News anchors and reporters show too much cleavage (IMO)...so will they be prohibited from flying?

I fly frequently for work, some months its 4 to 5 times, for many many years

I'm a paying customer too, where are my rights not have to have to be subjected to a shirt with foul four letter or terroristic words on it? Why should I be subjected to a floozy showing off her *advertiser censored* or other body parts? IMO, people who do thing like this don't do it to go unnoticed, its for attention - and if they want to be stared at then I say join the circus.

Its a flight, not a week long cruise or bar. It gets someone from point A to B. Its simple -get on, sit down, behave yourself, get off.

I've heard and seen it all in 20+ years, drunks, pigs, foul smelling, loud cell phone talkers, jerks that start fights, people attempting to have sex, 1st class passengers that think they are better than everyone else - you name it and people have done it.

While its a small number of people, it amazes me that some of them who commit disrupting behavior immediately go on the internet to tout their situation, thereby seeking even more attention.

Whatever happened to turning one's head? Do I really need the government or an airline to protect me from a word?

The world has gone crazy.

News anchors and reporters show too much cleavage (IMO)...so will they be prohibited from flying?

I have noticed that so much in the past few years....all these female news anchors with *advertiser censored* hanging out....I guess I'm showing my age but it sure seems excessive anymore!

Airlines can say: You can't wear that

What is the appropriate way to dress for airline travel?

Published On: Aug 27 2012 01:12:04 PM EDT

DALLAS -
Airlines give many reasons for refusing to let you board, but none stir as much debate as this: How you're dressed.

A woman flying from Las Vegas on Southwest this spring says she was confronted by an airline employee for showing too much cleavage. In another recent case, an American Airlines pilot lectured a passenger because her T-shirt bore a four-letter expletive. She was allowed to keep flying after draping a shawl over the shirt.

Both women told their stories to sympathetic bloggers, and the debate over what you can wear in the air went viral...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...hat/-/1719418/16281326/-/d52b81z/-/index.html

Also from the article, this sums it up best.......

""It's an unspoken rule that when you go out in public, you should be respectful.""

In this case, airlines are private companies, flights are often long, and people are sitting next to each other or in contact with each other for hours. They have the right to enforce certain standards. Families with children are also on these flights. It isn't too much to ask to cover your body or wear something that doesn't have offensive language printed on it.

MOO

I fly frequently for work, some months its 4 to 5 times, for many many years

I'm a paying customer too, where are my rights not have to have to be subjected to a shirt with foul four letter or terroristic words on it? Why should I be subjected to a floozy showing off her *advertiser censored* or other body parts? IMO, people who do thing like this don't do it to go unnoticed, its for attention - and if they want to be stared at then I say join the circus.

Its a flight, not a week long cruise or bar. It gets someone from point A to B. Its simple -get on, sit down, behave yourself, get off.

I've heard and seen it all in 20+ years, drunks, pigs, foul smelling, loud cell phone talkers, jerks that start fights, people attempting to have sex, 1st class passengers that think they are better than everyone else - you name it and people have done it.

While its a small number of people, it amazes me that some of them who commit disrupting behavior immediately go on the internet to tout their situation, thereby seeking even more attention.

I agree with part, but not all, of your post. Smell is an issue. Noise is an issue. However, things like how people are dressed, things that are visual that you can distract yourself from are different, IMO.

This whole discussion is very interesting. It is America and people should be allowed to do what they want--to a point. These airlines are not non-profit organizations, but businesses that drive toward profit. They are in business to be in business--obviously they want their customers to be happy with their experience.

There are simply some things you can ignore and some things you cannot. While reading your book or working on your laptop or taking a nap, you cannot totally ignore smell or noise... period.

Why look like a slob while traveling?

Recommendations from high-flying fashionable travelers

Author: By Katia Hetter CNN

Published On: Sep 07 2012 08:03:15 AM EDT Updated On: Sep 07 2012 08:22:11 AM EDT

(CNN) -
With travelers getting into trouble as they board planes wearing lingerie, T-shirts with curse words and pants hanging around their ankles, New York City's Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week has inspired us to turn to veteran fashion experts for an enlightened perspective on in-flight apparel.

Unlike fashion-stunted commoners who complain about leaving the belt, the boots and the heels behind to clear security and board a plane, these trendsetters view the Transportation Security Administration's rules and guidelines as a challenge to be met with an excellent ensemble.

Never mind the extravagant fashion they pack in their carry-ons and checked baggage, here's what these high-flying fashionable travelers recommend for the actual flight...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifes...ling/-/2305824/16517118/-/y0m8w3/-/index.html

Why look like a slob while traveling?

Recommendations from high-flying fashionable travelers

Author: By Katia Hetter CNN

Published On: Sep 07 2012 08:03:15 AM EDT Updated On: Sep 07 2012 08:22:11 AM EDT

(CNN) -
With travelers getting into trouble as they board planes wearing lingerie, T-shirts with curse words and pants hanging around their ankles, New York City's Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week has inspired us to turn to veteran fashion experts for an enlightened perspective on in-flight apparel.

Unlike fashion-stunted commoners who complain about leaving the belt, the boots and the heels behind to clear security and board a plane, these trendsetters view the Transportation Security Administration's rules and guidelines as a challenge to be met with an excellent ensemble.

Never mind the extravagant fashion they pack in their carry-ons and checked baggage, here's what these high-flying fashionable travelers recommend for the actual flight...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifes...ling/-/2305824/16517118/-/y0m8w3/-/index.html

I had to chuckle at this article - I am going to be comfortable traveling for 6-8 hrs between airports and lines, etc...not fashionable! Also, gotta laugh at this comment under the article:

"Why look like a slob while traveling"

Well that is the best way to stay safe if you are traveling around in Detroit.

:blushing: I'll be down there tomorrow looking like a slob in all my Lions gear :blushing:

Women are spending thousands of dollars to be able to show off their new *advertiser censored* and to finally have cleavage. To me this sounds just like another male chauvinistic way of putting women back in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant.

I'm a prude about planes, myself...considering how close you have to sit next to a perfect stranger. I really don't like sitting by someone with lots of bare skin. I wouldn't even sit that close to a friend, in a restaurant, for example, and you are not as close to another person even in the front seat of a car as you are on a plane. I really hate flying these days, and the way people dress does affect me, sad to say.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back