Who Can Add Tags?

Truman

Reaction score
Does only the thread-starter add tags? Or is there a way to add tags to replies we post? Are individual posts tagged, or just entire threads?

Thanks so much for your help!

Anyone can add them and they can only be added to threads. The tag line area is toward the bottom of each page.

Hope that helps! :seeya:

Truman, I left you some directions on the Iowa girls thread and an example

Got it, thank you so much (again) Nurse!

Forgive my ignorance... :blushing:

But what do we use tags for? :dunno:

TIA. :seeya:

Tags are a great way to search out info you know you read or discussed on previous threads.

By tagging the thread with useful searchable keywords such as the name of victim, name of key witness, location of searches as the occur, etc. If i want to know when LEOs searched a particualr lake or field and what their comments were about that search, if I have tagged the thread we were all in at the time that was being discussed, I can then go back and find it later, even though we are 5 threads away now.

This is very handy when, as a case is older and the press coverage has died down and we are all spinning our wheels going over stuff we went over way back when. You have a debate about the time a witness saw what he saw. You know that you actually debated this 6 threads ago and resolved the question definitively. If the thread that occurred in originally was tagged with the info, it is much easier to go back and find.

For example. The general keyword search feature is very helpful but sometimes your keyword such as "bikes found" will pull up thousands of posts discussing the bikes and their being found. If you instead want to find the quote or discussion about the position of the bikes, if that info was tagged in the thread, you can search the tags only and not all the posts through the "advanced search" feature. When searching the tags only it can help to narrow down the search so you don't end up with thousands of posts from 12 different threads to wade through. It can take you directly to the specific tagged thread.

Searching using tags is only as good as the tagging that has been done though. The more good tagging done in thread, the more useful it is as a tool later.

Wow!

thanks Tlcox for the thorough explanation!

The problem I have had was when I clicked on a tag, it took me to the beginning of the thread. some threads are quite a few pages long... So I feel overwhelmed when searching for the particular tagged subject.

does that make sense?

:seeya:

P.S. Sorry for errors in typing.. IPad... :sigh:

I've seen where in some cases they do as tlcox mentioned and if it's a case I am interested in and don't want to post "so, what happened today?" - I can read the tags and see what happened. I really like it when members use the tag line to update like that. :cheer:

Wow!

thanks Tlcox for the thorough explanation!

The problem I have had was when I clicked on a tag, it took me to the beginning of the thread. some threads are quite a few pages long... So I feel overwhelmed when searching for the particular tagged subject.

does that make sense?

:seeya:

P.S. Sorry for errors in typing.. IPad... :sigh:

Do it through the search feature, my dear peep.

I've seen where in some cases they do as tlcox mentioned and if it's a case I am interested in and don't want to post "so, what happened today?" - I can read the tags and see what happened. I really like it when members use the tag line to update like that. :cheer:

Hi Kimster, I'm still newish and only just found my way here and was happy to find a thread to ask this.

I was wondering about tagging in the Arias trial/ The View From the Inside Court Observers' thread. It is so informative (a highlight of my day!) and generates lots of discussion around the observers' notes. This doesn't bother me at all but I have noticed that some sleuthers find it hard to drop in when they're pressed for time and find the notes/observationsamid the all the discussion and mods often step in to keep it on track so the notes can be found. I don't understand everything about tagging but would tagging the trial notes of kcl, pasa, my3sons etc pull them down to the bottom of the page, and isolate them, making it easier for those only interested in reading them , find them? Tia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back