Nearly 2,000 visitors may have been exposed to rare disease, Yosemite officials warn

The illness is spread by contact with rodent feces, urine and saliva, or by inhaling exposed airborne particles.
It's frightening to think humans can contract a deadly virus by simply inhaling air particles of rodent urine or saliva.

It's frightening to think humans can contract a deadly virus by simply inhaling air particles of rodent urine or saliva.

Hantavirus scares the hell out of me. I used to live in Colorado and had a job where I spent a lot of time outside taking environmental samples. I used to see a lot of mice out in the fields, around fences, in deserted maintenance buildings next to lakes and places like that, and I always worried about coming in contact with infected mouse urine.

Hantavirus and West Nile. Both deadly. Sounds like we may have to live in a bubble. :(

Oh no, I know someone who is going to Yosemite in a few days. She doesn't plan to camp there though so I hope she will be safe.

Death toll rises to three, with eight people infected. I realize this is still a rare disease, but how sad for the loved ones of those who have died, and how unexpected. What a nightmare.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/09/yosemite-hantavirus-third-death.html

And this, from the article:
Yosemite officials previously traced the cases to the "signature tent cabins" in the park's popular Curry Village campground, saying a design flaw allowed mice to get inside the walls of the insulated cabins.
How unfortunate to have a design flaw which allowed mice inside the walls of the cabins. I would assume a flaw like that would have been noticed before the design was approved. Too bad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back