NY - UID's from New York

Here is the link to the Hart Island Burial Search. If you type in Unknown in the Last Name field, it produces over 3,000 results dating back to the 1970s of unidentified people buried on Hart Island - https://www.hartisland.net/burial_records/search

Also an interesting article here on the history of Hart Island's burials and attempts to identify people or leave memories of the named people who have been buried and were unclaimed - http://www.thenation.com/article/202913/there-progressive-way-bury-lonely-poor-huddled-masses

Here is the link to the Hart Island Burial Search. If you type in Unknown in the Last Name field, it produces over 3,000 results dating back to the 1970s of unidentified people buried on Hart Island - HartIslandProject

Also an interesting article here on the history of Hart Island's burials and attempts to identify people or leave memories of the named people who have been buried and were unclaimed - If You Die Poor or Alone in New York City, You’ll Be Buried by Prisoners in a Mass Grave
Thank you for this link to harts island Unidentified buried people. I went on it and the only problem is they really don't tell you any info other than age or if they died in a hospital.
This is sad there are people of all ages but no info. What if these people are missing persons? Namus has no information for unidentified people In the 1970s or 198os in NYC it's so odd. It pretty much starts on the 1990s

I have been trying to find unknown people from the harts island page on namus and the only one that has come up so far is a torso in staten island from 1983.. Just so strange.. its like there were not any unidentified people in the 1970s and 1980s in NYC.

this is sad..I can only imagine how many people on the Harts Island list that have not been entered into Namus are actual Missing people That are being looked for or were being looked for at some point.

Madamax, talked to Jess. She has worked or still working with Hart Island org. She has also identified one missing person from there. Hope she can tell more about UIDs.

PS: so sad I have not noticed that NYC UIDs were not listed on Namus :( There are so many in NY state.

@jessr927

Madamax, talked to Jess. She has worked or still working with Hart Island org. She has also identified one missing person from there. Hope she can tell more about UIDs.

PS: so sad I have not noticed that NYC UIDs were not listed on Namus :( There are so many in NY state.

@jessr927
oh Thank you so much Al Ka for letting me know about Jess927. I had no idea! oh wow she identified a missing person from there..good for her that is so amazing! I will see what she says about the UIDs and the Uknowns..

Yes its absolutely frustrating for the 1980s and 1970s and before that too.. if you look up on Namus or anywhere, you will see NO Unidentified people.. ONLY in Upstate New York but nothing for the city. I kept looking and nothing Only from time to time did i find a news paper listing for someone but that is it..There is 1 unidentified woman from NYC 1970 in Namus and that is only because she was found Upstate.
I kept saying to myself its impossible that there are NO Unidentified people in NYC from the 80s and 70s those were the worst times here.. Meanwhile they are all in Harts Island!!

It was only until tonight that I found this thread and the link to the Harts Island that I saw How Many Unknown people there are!..and Harts Island only shows until 1980 so who knows how many there really are!

Here is the link.. there are 105 pages of Unkown that dates back to 1980 and like I said the only one i found so far on Namus is a male torso from Staten Island in 1983.
HartIslandProject

Thank You for the link Madamax. I am familiar with Hart Island Project and org though for few years now. But it is good to have it listed here for others to see it too.

I think Harts Island has done an incredible job of actually going that far and recording all these unknowns on to their site. I just wish there was info on each one as to where they were found . I wonder where they got their info to record on the site from.?

Absolutely horrendous. I have read similar article about a year ago but about different cases there. If this was happening with unidentified bodies in NYC as late as 2014 there is no hope to ever find body from 1988 :(.
I know that was exactly what I was thinking.. its beyond frustrating.

I thought I would post this here since iam assuming these Unidentified people and body parts found prob became UIDs at Harts Island. Can't find any more info. This is from Oct 1981

NEW YORK -- Portions of a body apparently dismembered by a power saw were discovered Thursday in Brooklyn, the fourth such discovery in recent weeks, police said.

A piece of a right hip and the back of a head with pieces of flesh still attached were found by a motorist who stopped on the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn.

The pieces were discovered in the bushes a short distance from the highway.

It was the fourth such discovery in the area in the past two months. Three other torsos have been found floating in Jamaica Bay and in the creeks of Gateway National Park.

Detective Dennis Malloy of the 69th precinct said the parts appeared to have been cut by a power saw. He said police believed the parts were those of a white male about 40 years old.

Police also reported Thursday the skeletal remains of a human were discovered by a Parks Department employee in a catch basin near the Hudson River in Manhattan.

Police said they were unable to determine whether the skeleton was that of a man or a woman.

Read more: Portions of a body apparently dismembered by a power...

I just wanted to Sreen shots of just SOME of the unidentified men and women that I found listed on Hart Island. I really wish there was some way of knowing more info on each.

Attachments

• IMG_3044.PNG
    IMG_3044.PNG
    236.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3045.PNG
    IMG_3045.PNG
    214.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3047.PNG
    IMG_3047.PNG
    251.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3048.PNG
    IMG_3048.PNG
    259.3 KB · Views: 8
Here are some others. Most of them are from 1980 and some 1981. There are many more from different years but I just thought I would post some to shed some light on some of these Unidentified people.

Attachments

• IMG_3049.PNG
    IMG_3049.PNG
    244.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3051.PNG
    IMG_3051.PNG
    251.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3052.PNG
    IMG_3052.PNG
    223.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3054.PNG
    IMG_3054.PNG