763 users online (139 members and 624 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TX - Thomas Blake, 30, Big Spring, 1 Aug 1987

Thomas Stephen Blake

Missing since August 1, 1987 from Big Spring, Howard County, Texas.

*Age at Time of Disappearance: 30 years old
    *Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'3 (189 cm); 165 lbs. (75 kg.)
    *Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blond hair; green eyes. His nickname is "Tom".
    *Marks, Scars: Thomas has a mole under his right eye and several on his back.
    *Clothing/Jewelry: He usually wears a large (3 x 5 inch oval) belt buckle with turquoise studs in the center and a gold metal watch with a rectangular face and black band.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/643dmtx.html

I posted the following information in another thread. This one obviously is more relevant! So please forgive the redundancy. I am Tom Blake's sister, and am new to all this.Until my parents died, they preferred not to try to find answers, but I have never given up hope even though I honored their wishes.
    He vanished in early August 1987, as his report states. Beyond that it is a long and weird story: highlights:
    He had a huge amount of debts, had fallen for a woman who had his baby, then bribed him with his name on the birth certificate forcing him to pay her a lot of money, then vanished. She subsequently died (natural causes), leaving his daughter with a brother and no chance of ever seeing her. Broke his heart. Just before he vanished, he was hauling onions from LA to Georgia, and in the middle of this haul had a one week layover in El Paso (border town). He came through his home town just north of El Paso, and had a woman with him that supposedly was going back to California. His truck was left running for 3 days near Big Springs - finally the State Police looked into it, and he was gone but his cigarettes and wallet (no money) were in the cab. My father, my other brother and I went to Big Springs and searched for a body in nearby fields, culverts, etc. After having no luck, we stopped at a convenience store, and the clerk told us he had been in the store that morning buying picnic supplies with a girl that matched the description of his travelling companion that supposedly returned to California. We then knew that he had left on his own. Never another word. His trucking behavior strongly suggests running drugs. Could be witness protection, could be double cross, could be murder. Lots more to it, but those are the important highlights. As I said, much more to the story - long and odd.....

Welcome to WS! Do you know if they ever questioned the girl that he was with? Is she also a missing person?
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

She was a "person of interest". My mother and I met her when Tom came through Alamogordo a few days before he vanished. Based on the information she gave, I believe I have found her family. She is not listed as missing. Her name is Jennifer Downs and has family who are renowned veterinarians in California. I have contacted her brother by email, and have had no luck in getting a response. She does not show up on any searches I have done for missing persons. At one point, my mother and I began experiencing interesting dreams and she made an attempt to find her. She must have been close because immediately a lifelong friend of my brother's reported a "sighting" that was a very thinly veiled lie, and told her Tom was fine. She dropped it and took it as a message from him to leave it alone, and never searched or wanted to search again.

http://www.cbs7kosa.com/news/details.asp?ID=33616

On August 1, 1987, 30-year-old Thomas "Tom" Stephen Blake was reported missing. According to DPS, his tractor trailer rig was found at a public rest area on August 5, 1987. His personal belongings were left in the truck.

Another thread for an UID in Crowley, TX, (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...w-Wings-Oct-87) states that Mr. Blake's DNA is on file, but Namus indicates that a DNA sample is not available. I know Mr. Blake's sister is a member here, is she aware of whether or not his DNA is on file or not?

This case is being considered currently by LEO in a UID persons case out of Nevada.

Here is the thread:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...-Mar-92/page64

specifically see posts #746, #1584, #1601, #1607
    Proud member of the AFKBPOFPOPL

I would love to know if his sister knows whether he owned a t-shirt like the one found on the UID in the link above, or whether his hair was red/strawberry blonde as our UID's is.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Muffet View Post
    Let's try to find out if this Jennifer Downs' family originates in northern California. Blake's sister says her family are renowned vegetarians, which indicates they're a high-profile family so it should be easy to find some information.
    Quote Originally Posted by birdfam View Post
    She was a "person of interest". My mother and I met her when Tom came through Alamogordo a few days before he vanished. Based on the information she gave, I believe I have found her family. She is not listed as missing. Her name is Jennifer Downs and has family who are renowned veterinarians in California. I have contacted her brother by email, and have had no luck in getting a response. She does not show up on any searches I have done for missing persons. At one point, my mother and I began experiencing interesting dreams and she made an attempt to find her. She must have been close because immediately a lifelong friend of my brother's reported a "sighting" that was a very thinly veiled lie, and told her Tom was fine. She dropped it and took it as a message from him to leave it alone, and never searched or wanted to search again.
    You might want to try searching for the red word above instead.

Another bizzare irony is that there is the case of Diane Downs in Oregon who shot her 3 children in 1983. Diane escaped prison in the beginning of July 1987 in Oregon and was not apprehended for a couple weeks. They did however find her in Oregon. The irony is that she was from California and has ties to Arizona with a man she was having an affair with. Now do I think she could have hitchhiked a ride with a trucker? Yes. But to end up in Texas kill the truck driver, get him to Nevada to leave him in the desert and then return to Oregon?? Plus the month would have had to been July when he disappeared instead of August. It is ironic though.

Which brings me to the fact that the woman's real name may not of been Jennifer D (D*****) and her family may not have been the renowned vets in california. Especially if she did do something sinister to Thomas Blake. I doubt she would have given her real name.
    Last edited by Harmony 2; 04-22-2015 at 09:47 AM.
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by jjohnston0827 View Post
    Another thread for an UID in Crowley, TX, (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...w-Wings-Oct-87) states that Mr. Blake's DNA is on file, but Namus indicates that a DNA sample is not available. I know Mr. Blake's sister is a member here, is she aware of whether or not his DNA is on file or not?
    And can LE not ask the sister to submit DNA to NAMUS or would hers not help? And maybe she can give some dental info?

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/10019/0/

FWIW, someone posted in the NV UID thread mentioned above that JD was reported missing (appparently by her mother) with a last seen date in May 1991. That's almost 4 years after Thomas disappeared.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2029dfca.html

Based on her dob, she would have only been 16 when Thomas disappeared.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/blake_thomas.html

According to charley project, the woman seen with Thomas Blake was 31 years old in 1987.

Wow, it has been a long time since I posted. I am the sister of Tom Blake. He was not a strawberry blond, and I can't seem to access the pictures of the T shirt involved in the Arizona story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast