101-year-old driver hits crowd, officials say

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/29/us/california-school-crash/index.html

101-year-old driver hits crowd, officials say
From Rosalina Nieves and Stella Chan, CNN
updated 8:49 PM EDT, Wed August 29, 2012

(CNN) -- A car driven by a man believed to be 101 years old jumped the curb near an elementary school Wednesday afternoon in southern Los Angeles, injuring several people, according to officials.

Nine children and two adults were taken to hospitals, according to Erik Scott, spokesman for the Los Angeles Fire Department. Four people were seriously injured....

reports are it was intentional. Our news is reporting that witnesses said he was irritated he could not back out of his parking place for so long due to the pedestrian traffic that he finally just ran over people and hit them a couple times.
I hope that is not true.

He's apologetic and says the brakes failed; http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/29/us/california-school-crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

(CNN) -- A 100-year-old man is apologetic after barreling into a crowd of mostly school kids in Los Angeles and sending 11 people to the hospital.

"I'm sorry," Preston Carter told CNN affiliate KTLA. "I lost control of the car. The brakes failed, I think."

Nine children and two adults were taken to hospitals, according to Erik Scott, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Fire Department.

None of the victims suffered life-threatening injuries, and most had bumps and bruises....

If he did it on purpose he certainly wouldn't admit it though. JMO

reports are it was intentional. Our news is reporting that witnesses said he was irritated he could not back out of his parking place for so long due to the pedestrian traffic that he finally just ran over people and hit them a couple times.
I hope that is not true.

:what:

Older drivers have been involved in other tragedies. In 2003, an 86-year-old man mistakenly stepped on the gas pedal of his car instead of the brake and then panicked, plowing into an open-air market in Santa Monica. Ten people were killed and 63 injured.
According to California's Department of Motor Vehicles, people over age 70 must renew their driver's license in person, rather than via the Internet or by mail. Older drivers can also be required to take a supplemental driving test if they fail a vision exam, or if a police officer, a physician, or a family member raises questions about their ability to drive.
Rodriguez said the collision was being investigated as an accident, and Carter was not under arrest. He has a valid driver's license, Rodriguez said.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-08-30/elderly-driver-crash/57428968/1?csp=34news

I hope I am long gone before I hit 101. I am not making light of this situation, but when does society say no more driving for you? I remember when retirement hit our society and people lost their jobs because they were too old to work.....hmmmmmm. I am too stubborn and independent to ask for much of anything. I guess you have to be tough to get old.

I hope I am long gone before I hit 101. I am not making light of this situation, but when does society say no more driving for you? I remember when retirement hit our society and people lost their jobs because they were too old to work.....hmmmmmm. I am too stubborn and independent to ask for much of anything. I guess you have to be tough to get old.

BBM

I don't know what states demand you get tested, but I think it is a great idea. Society should do what is good for the masses, and having people of very advanced ages driving, and not having fast enough reflexs, poor vision, and many other things that go along with old age is just dangerous for the general public. I have known several people that have caused accidents for the very reason listed above.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back