1369 users online (289 members and 1080 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking If you live anywhere near Yellowstone you may want to move.

It's one of those places that's nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to incinerate there.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/30/us/wus...html?hpt=hp_c3

...With all of this heat just sitting, waiting beneath Yellowstone, what exactly would it look like if it were all to blow? Smith and other scientists all have scenarios and every one is bleak.

In Smith's book, "Windows into the Earth," he says, "Devastation would be complete and incomprehensible." Before the super eruption, large earthquakes would likely swarm the surrounding areas until the huge blast that would erase Yellowstone completely off the map.

After the initial eruption, clouds of gas and rock would burn everything in its path with temperatures reaching to hundreds of degrees Celsius. Ashfall would cover the western United States and also enter the jet stream with the potential to cripple air transportation and threaten the world's food supply.

There are some estimates that 87,000 people would die immediately....

We are about 300+ miles away, so hopefully we'll not be incinerated. lol

I like this Yellowstone better.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1650648092/

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

I have always been fascinated by yellowstone. I remember writing about yellowstone for a high school report and most of the kids didn't even know it was a volcano. SMH.

I can't think of any better place to head for heaven than Wyoming. If Yellowstone goes kaboom then I shall probably go kaboom with it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Volcanos fascinate me, so it was only natural that I glommed onto reading up on super volcanoes. I remember a few years ago the swarm of quakes that went on in Yellowstone Lake... it was utterly fascinating. Unnerving, knowing what brews below it, but fascinating. I hope to get to go there, one day, to do a few days of photography... it looks to be such a gorgeous place.

Quote Originally Posted by rollinginit View Post
    I have always been fascinated by yellowstone. I remember writing about yellowstone for a high school report and most of the kids didn't even know it was a volcano. SMH.
    Nope. Did not know it was a volcano. I learn something every day. Just don't quiz me later.
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
    Volcanos fascinate me, so it was only natural that I glommed onto reading up on super volcanoes. I remember a few years ago the swarm of quakes that went on in Yellowstone Lake... it was utterly fascinating. Unnerving, knowing what brews below it, but fascinating. I hope to get to go there, one day, to do a few days of photography... it looks to be such a gorgeous place.
    And if it explodes while you're there you can take some shots of outer space too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Nope. Did not know it was a volcano. I learn something every day. Just don't quiz me later.
    BBM

I take it you're not quizzical?

I have a book on the deaths in Yellowstone starting from the earliest documented. It is facinating how many people die from falling into the scalding waters or from bear attacks.
    One man taking a tour of Yellowstone drowned when he dove in to rescue his friends dog. Even his eyes were whited over from the scalding water and his skin rolled off in large sheets.
    Much of the area is not safe to venture into as new holes are constantly opening up due to it's unstable earths crust. It has tiny earthquakes all the time.
    People fail to take it seriously that it's hot pots are indeed heated by magma and it is a super volcano.
    They also fail to realize the wildlife is just that - wild.
    It will blow someday. Hopefully not in my lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by SoBeCzar View Post
    I have a book on the deaths in Yellowstone starting from the earliest documented. It is facinating how many people die from falling into the scalding waters or from bear attacks.
    One man taking a tour of Yellowstone drowned when he dove in to rescue his friends dog. Even his eyes were whited over from the scalding water and his skin rolled off in large sheets.
    Much of the area is not safe to venture into as new holes are constantly opening up due to it's unstable earths crust. It has tiny earthquakes all the time.
    People fail to take it seriously that it's hot pots are indeed heated by magma and it is a super volcano.
    They also fail to realize the wildlife is just that - wild.
    It will blow someday. Hopefully not in my lifetime!
    A friend of mine works the summers as a volunteer for Yellowstone. He on a team that keeps people a safe distance from the bears by the road. He's told me that many times people will try to get past them so they can take a picture of their kid with a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    It's one of those places that's nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to incinerate there.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/30/us/wus...html?hpt=hp_c3

...With all of this heat just sitting, waiting beneath Yellowstone, what exactly would it look like if it were all to blow? Smith and other scientists all have scenarios and every one is bleak.

In Smith's book, "Windows into the Earth," he says, "Devastation would be complete and incomprehensible." Before the super eruption, large earthquakes would likely swarm the surrounding areas until the huge blast that would erase Yellowstone completely off the map.

After the initial eruption, clouds of gas and rock would burn everything in its path with temperatures reaching to hundreds of degrees Celsius. Ashfall would cover the western United States and also enter the jet stream with the potential to cripple air transportation and threaten the world's food supply.

There are some estimates that 87,000 people would die immediately....

Yep...fascinating...and there was an interesting, let's say, "B-movie" on it a a few years ago

Watched it...seems scientifically credible http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano_(film)

On the other hand....giant meteorites, massive earthquakes, tsunamis, etc all credible too....and they have, and will, happen....but personally can't build up enough energy to do anything 'actionable' about it....

This ole planet a half-billion years old...so putting energy into the next half decade or year on something you can't possibly control...dunno ? lol

BUT...the science is amazing and super-interesting....could learn something...

There's a great documentary on Netflix about yellowstone.

Last I heard, the earth there sinks all the time. Has anybody every been able to explain why old faithful spews at the same time, all the time like clockwork???

Um, I think the planet is closer to 4.5 billions years old. That's probably what the poster meant.

Age of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by KateB; 06-18-2015 at 08:35 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Well lemme change that! I guess it is still predictable! I live in Wyoming, have been to Jellystone and saw Old Faithful blow. That park is magnificent! The areas before it, like Cody, Wyoming are so beautiful.
    Last edited by Peazzzer; 08-31-2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: wrong info
    JMO, MOO, Doing my best. I am not perfect and I don't expect you to be either.

wonders is offline My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are mine and mine alone.
    I live 51 miles from Yellowstones north entrance. If your not stupid when you visit there your not going to get hurt by scalding or animals.
    I thought this was going to be about the Pine Creek fire 9 miles from me. LOL.
    As far as Yellowstone erupting? Yes it could any day but it's not something we go around worrying about. We could get hit by a car too. Just not something to worry about on a daily basis.
    A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty....

Quote Originally Posted by wonders View Post
    I live 51 miles from Yellowstones north entrance. If your not stupid when you visit there your not going to get hurt by scalding or animals.
    I thought this was going to be about the Pine Creek fire 9 miles from me. LOL.
    As far as Yellowstone erupting? Yes it could any day but it's not something we go around worrying about. We could get hit by a car too. Just not something to worry about on a daily basis.
    BBM

Dang! I always wanted to visit Yellowstone. I guess I won't now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast