If you live anywhere near Yellowstone you may want to move.

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
It's one of those places that's nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to incinerate there.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/30/us/wus-supervolcanoes-yellowstone/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

120829071529-supervolcano-4-horizontal-gallery.jpg

...With all of this heat just sitting, waiting beneath Yellowstone, what exactly would it look like if it were all to blow? Smith and other scientists all have scenarios and every one is bleak.

In Smith's book, "Windows into the Earth," he says, "Devastation would be complete and incomprehensible." Before the super eruption, large earthquakes would likely swarm the surrounding areas until the huge blast that would erase Yellowstone completely off the map.

After the initial eruption, clouds of gas and rock would burn everything in its path with temperatures reaching to hundreds of degrees Celsius. Ashfall would cover the western United States and also enter the jet stream with the potential to cripple air transportation and threaten the world's food supply.

There are some estimates that 87,000 people would die immediately....

smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-scared002.gif

I have always been fascinated by yellowstone. I remember writing about yellowstone for a high school report and most of the kids didn't even know it was a volcano. SMH.

I can't think of any better place to head for heaven than Wyoming. :) If Yellowstone goes kaboom then I shall probably go kaboom with it. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Volcanos fascinate me, so it was only natural that I glommed onto reading up on super volcanoes. I remember a few years ago the swarm of quakes that went on in Yellowstone Lake... it was utterly fascinating. Unnerving, knowing what brews below it, but fascinating. I hope to get to go there, one day, to do a few days of photography... it looks to be such a gorgeous place.

I have always been fascinated by yellowstone. I remember writing about yellowstone for a high school report and most of the kids didn't even know it was a volcano. SMH.

Nope. Did not know it was a volcano. I learn something every day. Just don't quiz me later.

Volcanos fascinate me, so it was only natural that I glommed onto reading up on super volcanoes. I remember a few years ago the swarm of quakes that went on in Yellowstone Lake... it was utterly fascinating. Unnerving, knowing what brews below it, but fascinating. I hope to get to go there, one day, to do a few days of photography... it looks to be such a gorgeous place.

And if it explodes while you're there you can take some shots of outer space too. :giggle:

Nope. Did not know it was a volcano. I learn something every day. Just don't quiz me later.

BBM

I take it you're not quizzical?

I have a book on the deaths in Yellowstone starting from the earliest documented. It is facinating how many people die from falling into the scalding waters or from bear attacks.
One man taking a tour of Yellowstone drowned when he dove in to rescue his friends dog. Even his eyes were whited over from the scalding water and his skin rolled off in large sheets.
Much of the area is not safe to venture into as new holes are constantly opening up due to it's unstable earths crust. It has tiny earthquakes all the time.
People fail to take it seriously that it's hot pots are indeed heated by magma and it is a super volcano.
They also fail to realize the wildlife is just that - wild.
It will blow someday. Hopefully not in my lifetime!

I have a book on the deaths in Yellowstone starting from the earliest documented. It is facinating how many people die from falling into the scalding waters or from bear attacks.
One man taking a tour of Yellowstone drowned when he dove in to rescue his friends dog. Even his eyes were whited over from the scalding water and his skin rolled off in large sheets.
Much of the area is not safe to venture into as new holes are constantly opening up due to it's unstable earths crust. It has tiny earthquakes all the time.
People fail to take it seriously that it's hot pots are indeed heated by magma and it is a super volcano.
They also fail to realize the wildlife is just that - wild.
It will blow someday. Hopefully not in my lifetime!

A friend of mine works the summers as a volunteer for Yellowstone. He on a team that keeps people a safe distance from the bears by the road. He's told me that many times people will try to get past them so they can take a picture of their kid with a bear. :banghead:

It's one of those places that's nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to incinerate there.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/30/us/wus-supervolcanoes-yellowstone/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

120829071529-supervolcano-4-horizontal-gallery.jpg

...With all of this heat just sitting, waiting beneath Yellowstone, what exactly would it look like if it were all to blow? Smith and other scientists all have scenarios and every one is bleak.

In Smith's book, "Windows into the Earth," he says, "Devastation would be complete and incomprehensible." Before the super eruption, large earthquakes would likely swarm the surrounding areas until the huge blast that would erase Yellowstone completely off the map.

After the initial eruption, clouds of gas and rock would burn everything in its path with temperatures reaching to hundreds of degrees Celsius. Ashfall would cover the western United States and also enter the jet stream with the potential to cripple air transportation and threaten the world's food supply.

There are some estimates that 87,000 people would die immediately....

smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-scared002.gif

Yep...fascinating...and there was an interesting, let's say, "B-movie" on it a a few years ago

Watched it...seems scientifically credible http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano_(film)

On the other hand....giant meteorites, massive earthquakes, tsunamis, etc all credible too....and they have, and will, happen....but personally can't build up enough energy to do anything 'actionable' about it....

This ole planet a half-billion years old...so putting energy into the next half decade or year on something you can't possibly control...dunno ? lol

BUT...the science is amazing and super-interesting....could learn something...

There's a great documentary on Netflix about yellowstone.

Last I heard, the earth there sinks all the time. Has anybody every been able to explain why old faithful spews at the same time, all the time like clockwork???

Well lemme change that! I guess it is still predictable! I live in Wyoming, have been to Jellystone and saw Old Faithful blow. That park is magnificent! The areas before it, like Cody, Wyoming are so beautiful.

I live 51 miles from Yellowstones north entrance. If your not stupid when you visit there your not going to get hurt by scalding or animals.
I thought this was going to be about the Pine Creek fire 9 miles from me. LOL.
As far as Yellowstone erupting? Yes it could any day but it's not something we go around worrying about. We could get hit by a car too. Just not something to worry about on a daily basis.

I live 51 miles from Yellowstones north entrance. If your not stupid when you visit there your not going to get hurt by scalding or animals.
I thought this was going to be about the Pine Creek fire 9 miles from me. LOL.
As far as Yellowstone erupting? Yes it could any day but it's not something we go around worrying about. We could get hit by a car too. Just not something to worry about on a daily basis.

BBM

Dang! I always wanted to visit Yellowstone. I guess I won't now. :sigh:

BBM

Dang! I always wanted to visit Yellowstone. I guess I won't now. :sigh:

Ahhh come on. I'll take you on a tour and have my hand ready to pop you on the side of your head if you even look like you want to be mischievous.

A couple of years ago my hub and his co-worker were hanging these metal awnings above the doors at the road dept's place outside of Mammoth. It was in the middle of winter and they were taking a break. Hub said he felt something nudge his coat a couple of time and he finnaly turned around and there stood a buffalo. It scared them, they took off running and jump up on the trailer that brought the awnings. The buffalo just turned around and wander away.

Ahhh come on. I'll take you on a tour and have my hand ready to pop you on the side of your head if you even look like you want to be mischievous.

A couple of years ago my hub and his co-worker were hanging these metal awnings above the doors at the road dept's place outside of Mammoth. It was in the middle of winter and they were taking a break. Hub said he felt something nudge his coat a couple of time and he finnaly turned around and there stood a buffalo. It scared them, they took off running and jump up on the trailer that brought the awnings. The buffalo just turned around and wander away.

Tatanka was probably laughing to himself about how he scared them. :)

I've been to Yellowstone a number of times (my dad grew up in the shadow of the Tetons)... huge old car trips with the station wagon packed inside (mom, dad, six kids, a Weimaraner, and two ice chests full of homemade sandwiches, fruit and soda pops)-- and out (roof top luggage rack at capacity with locked trunks and vintage Samsonite, covered by a Navy grade canvas tarp, which added its own flapping beat to the chaotic thrum of the family).

Everyone, in my family wanted to see bear, but I didn't want to see bear... I was quite busy counteracting all their wishes with fervent prayers to have those bears leave us alone!! :floorlaugh: Dad was a geology buff-- he wanted to explain all the strata of rock, the origin of one formation or another, the details behind the stench of gasses and boiling mud pots. I couldn't exactly comprehend the magnitude of the volcano, but I did grok the notion that the place could kill us all in an instant-- and without a bear being involved!

Harry and the Hendersons had nothing on us! (great little family movie, if you haven't seen it)

[video=youtube;yJBIO7B_XI4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJBIO7B_XI4[/video]

Seriously? Everyone should have Yellowstone on their bucket list-- I highly recommend an old style road trip full of campgrounds, roadside motels, and the sincere need for sunglasses. ;)

Elphalba-- get your hiney up there! You'll love every minute of it. (Of course, if you know the volcanic history of the west, the majority of the drive will reveal the wonders/work of volcanology on our landscapes.)

Um, I think the planet is closer to 4.5 billions years old. That's probably what the poster meant.

Age of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOL, ty there Nova...:)

Often quote that number that in discussions on 'global warming'....since our 'vast' data over 150 years is surely "statistically significant"....

Note: I do think we should be socially responsible...but basing anything on a 30 year trend is delirious in terms of statistics...(hope I don't start something here, or maybe I do ..tee hee)

I saw an amazing documentary a few years ago, if Yellowstone ever goes, after the initial deaths, most of the population of the U.S. would die soon thereafter. The dust would be so thick you could suffocate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back