1210 users online (267 members and 943 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - Body parts found in auctioned Florida storage unit, Pensacola, 2012

In what could be described as an episode of “Auction Hunters” turned reality horror show, authorities in Pensacola are investigating after finding human brains, hearts and lungs in a storage unit they say belonged to a former medical examiner.

Officials at the medical examiner’s office in Pensacola say the remains of more than 100 people were found crudely stored in Tupperware containers, garbage bags and drink cups.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/08/28...torage-locker/

Oh, dear God! How disgusting. Wonder where this guy acquired these organs?

ETA: Never mind. I understand now.
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

Quote Originally Posted by LaLaw2000 View Post
    Oh, dear God! How disgusting. Wonder where this guy acquired these organs?

ETA: Never mind. I understand now.
    Sometimes I watch Storage Wars and it's always in the back of my mind that someday someone will find a barrel and a body.

Why did he take the parts? Why did he keep them? Seriously - Tupperware?

Officials are trying to determine whether Berkland broke any laws regarding biomedical waste and the storing and disposing of human remains.
    (From TrackerSam's link)

WTH? They don't know if this is illegal....I sure as the heck hope that some part of this is illegal. If I find out that crossing against the light is a misdemeanor, but storing human organs in Slurpee cups isn't, well, I'm going to have some questions for our higher ups.
    Last edited by not_my_kids; 08-28-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: legal should have said illegal...I fixed it.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

No words.

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    Officials are trying to determine whether Berkland broke any laws regarding biomedical waste and the storing and disposing of human remains.
    (From TrackerSam's link)

WTH? They don't know if this is illegal....I sure as the heck hope that some part of this is legal. If I find out that crossing against the light is a misdemeanor, but storing human organs in Slurpee cups isn't, well, I'm going to have some questions for our higher ups.

There's something very wrong with this IMO.

Exclamation FL - Body parts found in auctioned Florida storage unit, Pensacola, 2005

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/29/us/flo...html?hpt=hp_t3

Body parts found in auctioned Florida storage unit
    By the CNN Wire Staff
    updated 1:21 AM EDT, Thu August 30, 2012

...Investigators know the unit was rented by Michael Berkland, a former associate medical examiner, but they're now trying to figure out if a crime was committed, said Capt. David Alexander of the Pensacola Police Department.

He said authorities have made some attempts to reach Berkland, who worked for the Medical Examiner's Office between 1997 and May 2003, when he was fired for failing to complete autopsy reports in a timely manner.

Berkland, who is no longer licensed in Florida, was also at one point a private pathologist, Alexander said. Families would sometimes contact him for second opinions about autopsy decisions that had been rendered, he said....

I can't believe the police took them. If I had paid for them I'd keep them.

That is of course a joke.

BTW, the article says he was fired for not completing autopsies in a timely manner. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry finds bags of mail Newman never delivered in his storage space.

Ex-medical examiner charged after human organs found in storage unit

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...dical-examiner

A former medical examiner has been arrested on charges of keeping human remains in a rented storage unit in the Florida Panhandle.

Dr. Michael Berkland, 57, was arrested Friday on charges of improper storage of hazardous waste, keeping a public nuisance and driving with a suspended license. He was released from jail on $10,000 bail.........

State Attorney Bill Eddins said more charges may be filed...........

Berkland worked at the District 1 Medical Examiner's Office in Pensacola from 1997 to 2003, when he was fired for not completing autopsy reports. Berkland's license to serve as a medical examiner in Florida has been withdrawn.

Before coming to Florida, Berkland had been fired as a contract medical examiner in 1996 in Jackson County, Mo., in a dispute over his caseload and autopsy reports. His doctor's license was ultimately revoked there.

More at link.....

A bizarre case of hoarding?

I take it they weren't stored in such a way that they could be sold on the black market?