GUILTY ME - Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway, 3 mos, found dead, Fairfield, 8 July 2012

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=2&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_NKNWU00L2_UNEWS

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — A 10-year-old girl was charged Thursday with manslaughter in the death of an infant after detectives found "troubling signs" during the investigation.

The girl, who is not being identified, is the youngest person to be charged with manslaughter in Maine in at least 25 years. Authorities said the infant, Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway, of Clinton in central Maine, had been under a baby sitter's care but did not say whether the suspect was the sitter.

The girl is in the custody of the Maine Department of Health and Human Services, said Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety. Police declined to identify the girl, who is due in juvenile court in October. Her attorney didn't immediately return a call from The Associated Press.

More at link....

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-08-30/baby-death-arrest/57453328/1

PORTLAND, Maine – A 10-year-old girl was charged Thursday with manslaughter in the death of an infant whose mother said had ingested medication and been suffocated.........

Brooklyn's mother, Nicole "Nicki" Greenaway, of Clinton, said the 10-year-old was the sitter's daughter. Authorities told her the baby had ingested medication to treat attention-deficit disorder and been suffocated, she said, adding that she also saw bruises on her daughter's body.

"I feel a little bit of relief that they're charging her daughter at this point, but the mom really needs to be responsible. She's the one I left my daughter with," Greenaway said..............

Greenaway said that the 10-year-old had changed her baby's diaper in the past, but that she had told the sitter an adult needed to be present at all times. Instead, the infant, who was reportedly fussy that night, was sleeping in a portable crib in the same room as the 10-year-old, Greenaway said.

When Greenaway finally saw her daughter at a funeral home, the infant had a black eye, bruises on the bridge of her nose and marks that looked like fingerprints on her cheeks, she said.........

Unlike murder, which generally involves an intentional act, manslaughter charges are brought when a homicide is caused by reckless actions or criminal negligence.

The charge is extremely unusual because of the defendant's age.

More at link.....

Just horrible for this poor baby and parents....Who gave the baby the ADD medication?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-08-30/baby-death-arrest/57453328/1

PORTLAND, Maine – A 10-year-old girl was charged Thursday with manslaughter in the death of an infant whose mother said had ingested medication and been suffocated.........

Brooklyn's mother, Nicole "Nicki" Greenaway, of Clinton, said the 10-year-old was the sitter's daughter. Authorities told her the baby had ingested medication to treat attention-deficit disorder and been suffocated, she said, adding that she also saw bruises on her daughter's body.

"I feel a little bit of relief that they're charging her daughter at this point, but the mom really needs to be responsible. She's the one I left my daughter with," Greenaway said..............

Greenaway said that the 10-year-old had changed her baby's diaper in the past, but that she had told the sitter an adult needed to be present at all times. Instead, the infant, who was reportedly fussy that night, was sleeping in a portable crib in the same room as the 10-year-old, Greenaway said.

When Greenaway finally saw her daughter at a funeral home, the infant had a black eye, bruises on the bridge of her nose and marks that looked like fingerprints on her cheeks, she said.........

Unlike murder, which generally involves an intentional act, manslaughter charges are brought when a homicide is caused by reckless actions or criminal negligence.

The charge is extremely unusual because of the defendant's age.

More at link.....

Just horrible for this poor baby and parents....Who gave the baby the ADD medication?

The 10 yr olds mother should be more responsible than the 10 yr old
With that said... The ADD meds sound like something a 10 yr old would do, especially for a fussy baby that she has to share her room with.... I can just see a 10 yr old desperate for sleep, and them thinking well it calms my brother (or whoever down) and giving it to the baby.. most of those meds taste horrible though.. so i'm guessing the baby was gagging and probably crying louder.. hence the suffocation....

MOO and all that..

The babysitter should be held responsible for this. Who in their right mind would put a fussy baby in the same room with a 10 yr old who takes ADD meds? By that time of night the meds would have worn off hours before and the girl probably became extremely irritated. I'm not excusing her behavior, it's just that I have severe ADD and when I'm tired and haven't taken my meds I can be a bear. The 10yr olds mother had to know her triggers. My 4 yr who is currently being evaluated for adhd is extremely moody when he is tired. I wouldnt leave a baby in his room even if he were older and he loves babies. The fact is the baby was not the 10 yr old's responsibility. Why agree to babysit if you aren't willing to ensure proper care and safety? She should have had the baby with her, not the daughter. I feel bad for the parents of the baby as well as the 10 yr old because it sounds like one of two things happened: A) she became irritated with all of the noise and gave the baby her meds thinking it would calm the baby like it does her and when it didn't work she snapped out anger and deliberately did whatever she could to make the noise stop or B) Similar to A in that she gave her the meds to quiet her but when the baby screamed more she tried to cover the baby's mouth because she was afraid her mother would come in and start yelling at her and the baby.

That poor sweet baby was probably crying, LIKE BABIES DO. She should not have been left with a 10 yr old, imo.

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/...manslaughter-of-3-month-old-Clinton-baby.html

"Some details of the night's events were provided to the Morning Sentinel by Ashley Tenney, 20, who said she was living in the basement of the home on the night Brooklyn died.

Tenney said she and Huard were downstairs while the 10-year-old was upstairs in her bedroom with the baby.

The 10-year-old brought the baby downstairs crying at one point, Tenney said, but nothing appeared out of the ordinary.

"Brooklyn was crying a little, but nothing that concerned anybody," Tenney said. "(The 10-year-old) went upstairs and came down without her and said, 'She's sleeping.' "

Tenney said she went to sleep in the basement about 11 p.m. and was awakened about 1:30 a.m. "I heard crying and running up and down the stairs," she said. Tenney said she heard someone say "dead."

She said she saw Huard and Huard's boyfriend coming out of the bathroom, and that he was holding Brooklyn and Huard was crying.

Huard called police at 1:34 a.m. on July 8, saying the baby wasn't breathing, state police Sgt. Jason Richards said in July.

Emergency responders arrived six minutes later and the baby was pronounced dead later that morning at MaineGeneral Medical Center's Thayer Campus in Waterville, Richards said."

What a nightmare. For everyone involved. It was stupid to let the baby sleep in the girls room, but I am sure mom never ever imagined THAT could happen. :eek:

I'm sorry, while I feel the 10 year old is probably responsible for the death, the real responsiblity is on the 10yr old's mother. She was the babysitter. She knows her child, and to put that baby in a room with her... even if the 10 yr didn't have problems, I would not allow a baby in my care to be watched by a 10yr old. And, why isn't the 10yr old's mother saying "it was my fault, I was supposed to be watching this baby" and let her child be charged? I actually feel for the 10 year old. She is just a baby herself, and with her issues, the mother should take responsibility.

I also feel grief for the baby's mother and family.

I imagine there is more to the story than I know now, but my response at the moment is WTH!

I'm sorry, while I feel the 10 year old is probably responsible for the death, the real responsiblity is on the 10yr old's mother. She was the babysitter. She knows her child, and to put that baby in a room with her... even if the 10 yr didn't have problems, I would not allow a baby in my care to be watched by a 10yr old. And, why isn't the 10yr old's mother saying "it was my fault, I was supposed to be watching this baby" and let her child be charged? I actually feel for the 10 year old. She is just a baby herself, and with her issues, the mother should take responsibility.

I imagine there is more to the story than I know now, but my response at the moment is WTH!

You're right. It is the mother's responsibility. She knew her 10 yr old had anger issues. And it is unfair for the 10 yr old, who is still a young child, to have been put in that situation. I guess I just felt bad for all of them, because I am sure the mom never ever imagined her 10 yr old daughter could/would pound a tiny baby to death. :eek:

Both need to be charged. Mom was of course in charge of the baby and never should have left the baby to sleep in a child's room. That was basically putting the responsibility onto the child. Clearly she was putting her 10 yr old in the position to babysit.
But even if it is understandable for the 10 yr old to be frustrated it is not understandable that she would drug and suffocate the baby. The child needs to be punished and get some serious help. She has bigger issues than just ADHD or anger problems. Would you expect her to drug and kill a puppy that was keeping her awake? I know puppies aren't as loud as a baby but the point is almost any child would not drug or kill out of frustration. It would be expected for her to have a screaming fit for her mother to quiet the baby or to complain constantly that the baby was keeping her awake. Not drug and suffocate a living creature, much less a baby.
If it is found that the child did repeatedly try to get her mother to quiet the baby then that gives her Mother even more responsibility for the baby's death but not all of it.

The fact that the 10 year old is on meds and has obvious anger issues as evidenced by the holes kicked in her walls make it astounding to me that the the mom (of the 10 year old) would leave her alone with the baby, much less, let the baby sleep in her room alone with her for potentially hours at a time unsupervised.

Maybe I am overly cautious but with a baby that is a few months old is exceptionally fragile and helpless. They are at a risk for sids or could suffocate if laid on a soft bed, pillows, etc. I could NOT just casually pass a baby off to a child as if it were a stuffed animal. I would NOT let a child carry such a young infant up and down stairs.

This is a nightmare situation for all involved

My youngest so was injured at school and had to be taken in for surgery ASAP. The person who hurt him was 10 years old, and she did so purposely. There was a long history of this girl being abusive and a bully and she was actually kicked out of all the school's surrounding us.
We got a lawyer. However, in the state of Wyoming, the parents are not responsible for what actions their children do once that child reaches age 10. In hind sight, we should have had her charged, but at the time, it never entered our minds! It's been 18 years ago. There was not a thing we could do to the parents. They simply were not responsible. Maybe the same thing applies here?

I don't think it's unusual for a baby to sleep in a siblings room, but it is unusual for a babysitter to put a baby she is caring for in her kid's room. She should of had that baby in her room....or downstairs with her. If I was babysitting a baby, that baby would NOT leave my sight. Especially one that is that young.

It really sounds like the mom was not doing a whole lot of "babysitting" but instead, she was depending on her young 10 yr old to babysit.

If I think about this... .mom put the baby upstairs in her daughter's room and mom went back downstairs. Some time later, the 10 yr old comes down the stairs with the crying baby. Then takes the baby back upstairs. Did the mom even get up? Or did she just tell the 10 yr old to take the baby back upstairs?

When Greenaway finally saw her daughter at a funeral home, the infant had a black eye, bruises on the bridge of her nose and marks that looked like fingerprints on her cheeks, she said.

If that is true then I don't believe for a moment the 10 year old smacked the baby around after she was already unconscious. That baby had to scream and sound hurt. I am not a human baby person but I would recognize the sound of an infant squealing/screaming in extreme distress, and this woman had 3 kids, she would recognize it too!

The mother probably asked and the daughter explained and that was the end of it. The mother notes on her facebook page that it was extra awful because the precious 10 year old "discovered" the dead baby the next morning and that must have been traumatic for the little dear heart.

Creepier still the baby's mother TOLD the babysitter that an adult had to be present at all times when the 10 year old changed diapers etc....so it appears the child's mother realized there was a problem and kept sending the baby there. Where were the other kids? Did she lose custody of them? And if so didn't the baby's mother know that?

Greenaway said that the 10-year-old had changed her baby's diaper in the past, but that she had told the sitter an adult needed to be present at all times.

maybe 10 year old's mom subconsciously... Or just secretly... Feels overwhelmed by her daughter's behavior... And is relieved to have her placed somewhere outside of the home?

Just a thought...

Both need to be charged. Mom was of course in charge of the baby and never should have left the baby to sleep in a child's room. That was basically putting the responsibility onto the child. Clearly she was putting her 10 yr old in the position to babysit.
But even if it is understandable for the 10 yr old to be frustrated it is not understandable that she would drug and suffocate the baby. The child needs to be punished and get some serious help. She has bigger issues than just ADHD or anger problems. Would you expect her to drug and kill a puppy that was keeping her awake? I know puppies aren't as loud as a baby but the point is almost any child would not drug or kill out of frustration. It would be expected for her to have a screaming fit for her mother to quiet the baby or to complain constantly that the baby was keeping her awake. Not drug and suffocate a living creature, much less a baby.
If it is found that the child did repeatedly try to get her mother to quiet the baby then that gives her Mother even more responsibility for the baby's death but not all of it.
I am confused...

3 adults under one roof... Baby-sitter, baby-sitter's bf, 20 year old in basement witness to night occurrences... And a historically violent 10 year old...

The death of this baby could have been prevented in sooooo many ways!

Is it common not to see a body till the funeral?? I would think at the hospital the family would of wanted to hold the baby.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back