LA- Reunion party for "whites only"

What an outrage. Glad this is seeing the light of day. A case of institutional racism converting itself into social racism and staying that way for nearly 40 years.

Regarding the whites only "after-party", the current principal of the high school, as per the link above, states he is "a little disappointed that something like this comes up," and he doesn't think it "looks good for the school". I don't think it looks good, either. Hellooooo. :what:

I am so embarrassed that something like this happened in my state. What is wrong with people?

This is interesting, Liza Chance, one of the BLACK organizers, said there were supposed to be TWO separate parties and then that changed into one, but somehow the wrong invites were sent out and she can't figure out how that happened? So the wrong invites that ONLY list the white party go out and suddenly it becomes a national news event highlighting the evils of white racism, the fact there was supposed to be a black only party is forgotten.

Somehow someone notifies the media and sends them copies of the incorrect letter, starting a firestorm. Surely this couldn't have been by design, could it?

Liza Chance, one of the organizers of the event, told ABC affiliate KATC the group had originally planned to have separate parties again this year, but then changed their minds, and that the old plans were sent prematurely.

“I don’t understand why this went the way it did,” she said.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/09/class-reunion-letter-lists-white-graduates-only-party/

After the white graduates were ridiculed and humiliated in the press the very first time they agreed to a "joint" reunion, I am thinking they will probably want to go back to organizing their own reunion and sending out their own invitations etc...

This is not surprising. It may be 2012 but it isn't everywhere. ;)

Very true it is 2012, and these attitudes are still very common among many folks.

The Cherokee Nation kicked out nearly 3,000 members Monday. They’re the Freedmen, descendants of black slaves once owned by Cherokee Tribal members.

That quote, the one I carried over, has to do with the Dawes Roll and per cap/enrollment rather than the bigotry displayed by an 'all white' reunion.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/21/us-cherokee-freedmen-idUSTRE78K08D20110921

Can we please put a sticky on this thread so the next time one of us mocks the South, we can point to this thread in response to the inevitable outrage?

(Native Floridian here.)

Can we please put a sticky on this thread so the next time one of us mocks the South, we can point to this thread in response to the inevitable outrage?

(Native Floridian here.)

Sorry, not sure what you are saying. Are you saying this thread should be stickied to show how ugly and racist white Southerners are?

If you read all the links it should be pretty darn obvious that this was a SET UP! <modsnip>. But hey it got the expected response! And as I mentioned, this guarantees they will not have integrated reunions anytime soon.

Well, maybe it's no loss... Gee, I'd be totally crushed if I couldn't party with a bunch of people who have considered it below their dignity to have anything to do with the persons of different color in their class for nearly 40 years.
Graduates from the St. Martinville, La., Senior High School Class of 1973 decided that after nearly 40 years, they would stop holding segregated class reunions, but a letter announcing the change included an after party for &#8220;white graduates only.&#8221;

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/09/class-reunion-letter-lists-white-graduates-only-party/

What is CBC?

Surely not the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. or Complete Blood Count.

Google no help.

tia

Minority-only and minority-focused groups and organizations are formed because these populations have been and continue to be marginalized. Whites do not need white-only groups, pageants, caucuses, etc, because they are the privileged group in this society.

The only people that get bothered by things like Miss Black America, or the CBC, are the privileged, who absolutely HATE the fact that they might miss out on dominating yet another arena. :twocents:

Well, maybe it's no loss... Gee, I'd be totally crushed if I couldn't party with a bunch of people who have considered it below their dignity to have anything to do with the persons of different color in their class for nearly 40 years.

Yeah, and I am sure the Black graduates really wanted to listen to old time Southern rock or even Country music and hang out with a bunch of 60 year old Southern whites at a potluck right? Sure they did! Big fun! Apparently someone DIDN'T want to combine the parties, and I sure don't think it was the White Graduates, and they would have just said "No thanks" and not caused themselves all of this grief by agreeing!

So surely if the "incorrect invite" only listed ONE of the parties, saying "Whites ONLY!" instead of "White Graduates" and "Black Graduates" that was just tiny little accidental typo oversight! Alert the MSM!

Such an obvious ploy and it gets so many frothing at the mouth! Sad.

Sorry, not sure what you are saying. Are you saying this thread should be stickied to show how ugly and racist white Southerners are?

If you read all the links it should be pretty darn obvious that this was a SET UP! <modsnip> But hey it got the expected response! And as I mentioned, this guarantees they will not have integrated reunions anytime soon.

Wow! I thought I was clear in the first place, but I appreciate your effort to prove my point.

I don't think there was any "set up", but the paranoia is telling.

I suppose it is possible there was a clerical error. But even if so, we still have the fact that it took until 2012 for this high school to hold an integrated reunion.

THAT's why they make fun of those of us from the South. That and the fact that some of us think African-Americans have to invent racism because no real racism exists. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and I am sure the Black graduates really wanted to listen to old time Southern rock or even Country music and hang out with a bunch of 60 year old Southern whites at a potluck right? Sure they did! Big fun! Apparently someone DIDN'T want to combine the parties, and I sure don't think it was the White Graduates, and they would have just said "No thanks" and not caused themselves all of this grief by agreeing!

So surely if the "incorrect invite" only listed ONE of the parties, saying "Whites ONLY!" instead of "White Graduates" and "Black Graduates" that was just tiny little accidental typo oversight! Alert the MSM!

Such an obvious ploy and it gets so many frothing at the mouth! Sad.

Well, I have no idea if the class segregates their musical tastes by color too but if the idea is to come together in good will then why not let everyone influence the DJ's choices? It wouldn't have to be country music all night.

But it is besides the point, really. If distasteful music was the only issue with this party crowd it wouldn't be news. Lots of fun can be had in parties with lousy music and 60 year olds attending (the Black graduates would presumably be about the same age I think...) if only there is good company.

However, these people graduated five years after Martin Luther King died and it took them until 2012 to realize that there is something off about holding racially segregated high school reunions. If there was good company to be had in the group of graduates they've got to be extremely embarrassed to belong in this class and they've run for cover years ago.

After 40 years of "you guys stay away from our party" you can't just wipe the history away and most people would tend to feel kind of uncomfortable coming together I think. The best time to hold a non-segregated reunion would have been the first time, and the relationships are bound to have suffered from 40 years of idiocy.

I hope they can get together in forgiving spirit anyhow.

I saw a special with Morgan Freeman some time ago. He's trying to spread integration & equality. Some places in LA, AL, MS, TN - actually some other places too but these 4 states are the worst for this - they actually fight integration. This could have actually been either/or - a white or black intentional error. It's sick & twisted, totally bigoted, and IMO the person that did this is a prick. Grow up & get with the times bc the past was a freaking mistake, so learn & grown so as not to be part of the damn problem. Sometimes people just make me sick...

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1150333#bmb=1

Snipped:
&#8220;If you are not from this area, most people do not understand the segregation that took place and is still taking place,&#8221; wrote a Facebook user saying she graduated in 2001, &#8220;however we have to look at the positive in this reunion, they want to come together as one.&#8221;

I saw a special with Morgan Freeman some time ago. He's trying to spread integration & equality. Some places in LA, AL, MS, TN - actually some other places too but these 4 states are the worst for this - they actually fight integration. This could have actually been either/or - a white or black intentional error. It's sick & twisted, totally bigoted, and IMO the person that did this is a prick. Grow up & get with the times bc the past was a freaking mistake, so learn & grown so as not to be part of the damn problem. Sometimes people just make me sick...

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1150333#bmb=1

Snipped:
“If you are not from this area, most people do not understand the segregation that took place and is still taking place,” wrote a Facebook user saying she graduated in 2001, “however we have to look at the positive in this reunion, they want to come together as one.”

BBM (Jersey Girl, I am responding to that quote, not to you):

I do remember segregation, I do understand. There is no excuse.

It doesn't matter if it's a set up, although I have seen zero proof of that.

The very fact that they've always had segregated reunions and were originally planning to do it again this year is SHAMEFUL. Just like segregation was and those who still support it.

BBM (Jersey Girl, I am responding to that quote, not to you):

I do remember segregation, I do understand. There is no excuse.

Oh I totally agree! Emphatically agree, no excuse at all...

...and suddenly it becomes a national news event highlighting the evils of white racism, the fact there was supposed to be a black only party is forgotten.

Somehow someone notifies the media and sends them copies of the incorrect letter, starting a firestorm. Surely this couldn't have been by design, could it?

After the white graduates were ridiculed and humiliated in the press the very first time they agreed to a "joint" reunion, I am thinking they will probably want to go back to organizing their own reunion and sending out their own invitations etc...

Thank you for that post. In addition, according to the article, the segregated reunions have been held since the 70's...never was a problem and no one cared about the "black only" reunions...hmmmm, interesting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back