View Poll Results: This rule by the school is...

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stupid

    0 0%
  • Really Stupid

    0 0%
  • Stupid Beyond Belief

    11 44.00%
  • Makes Emus Look Like Einsteins.

    14 56.00%
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Third-grader told Peyton Manning jersey has gang ties

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    28,200

    Question Third-grader told Peyton Manning jersey has gang ties




    Third-grader told Peyton Manning jersey has gang ties

    By Gregg Rosenthal
    Around The League editor
    Published: Sept. 5, 2012 at 03:20 p.m.
    Updated: Sept. 5, 2012 at 03:43 p.m.

    ...A third-grade student in Greeley, Colorado was told he could not wear a Peyton Manning jersey to school because, well ...

    "They told me I couldn't wear 18 anymore because it's a gang number and I had to take it off," Konnor Vanatta told FOX31 in Denver....
    Buttons updated 09-27-2014



    Made by HD ----->

    Warning: Some buttons may be offensive!
    BAD WORDS AND OFFENSIVE MATERIAL,
    AND STUFF LIKE THAT THERE!!




  2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    tlcya's Avatar
    tlcya is offline Websleuths IS its Members, plain and simple
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    America's heartland, the Land of Lincoln
    Posts
    24,144
    sigh. Where do I start?
    Sleuth: to act as a detective: search for information: to search for and discover

    Show me the evidence, give me the facts.


    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/blog.php?49066-tlcya-the-Good-the-Bad-the-Websleuth

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tlcya For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NWLA
    Posts
    4,699
    I just KNEW there was something off about that Peyton. And it's not because I am a Florida fan.

    Doggone it- Peyton's a gangbanger! Lol.

  6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FrayedKnot For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Crossroads of America
    Posts
    2,007
    To think I used to be a Peyton Manning fan. You just never know any more. Peyton would be a swell guy and a great football player if only he'd change that jersey number.
    Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
    ~ Mark Twain

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Indy Anna For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    233
    Seriously, where has common sense gone these days ?? And why tell that to a little boy ?? If there IS an issue, let him wear the shirt and send a note home, explaining the policy.

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jovi Girl For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,718
    So what is two times nine these days? Is the maths teacher in trouble?

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    887
    Things like this kill me!!! It's a JERSEY being worn by a third grader!!! It's not like he went in with that number tattooed all over his little face trying to recruit! Grrr.. I just get so angry over petty, innocent things being turned into a big deal.

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pghbrandi For This Useful Post:


  15. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,299
    Greeley, Colorado has an enormous gang problem. Gangs recruit as young as 6 and 7 years old. Gang initiates are sometimes brutally beaten and usually introduced into crime to benefit the gangs even at those early ages. "Colors" can often get you killed if you happen into a rival gang turf. Even a third grader is not immune. I spent 12 years working alongside gang suppression officers. I attended gang seminars and witnessed the aftermath of gang initiations. I, personally, applaud those who are trying to reach out to kids in elementary schools to try to break the gang stranglehold obvious in the area of Greeley. The attached article has some insight into the area and the problems being addressed:

    GANGS IN GREELEY: Living in a gang neighborhood

    "Fighting Back"

    Sociologist Carlie supports the idea that neighborhood traits that foster gang activity can be reversed -- but only if residents are willing to take up the cause.

    In other words, rather than barricading themselves inside after sunset, Carlie encourages people in gang-saturated areas to start Neighborhood Watch programs, explore ideas for more youth activities and arrange meetings with police."

    "...As they gathered near the yellow tape, a couple of them exchanged banter about their gang ties.

    "My cousin's in a gang," said 10-year-old Jasmine Vizcaino, who said her cousin in a member of the Sureños.

    A boy who claims his brother is with the Norteños fires back: "He's lucky my brother is on the ankle monitor."

    http://www.jrrobertssecurity.com/sec...e-news0068.htm
    ___________________________________

    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

    Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

    All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:


  17. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,299
    Gang Affiliated Sports Team Apparel or Logos
    Atlanta Braves: People- initial “A” for Almighty
    Boston Celtics: Spanish Cobras - Colors - Green/Black
    British Knights: Crips - initials “B” & “K” for Blood Killers
    Burger King: Crips - initials “B” & “K” for Blood Killers
    Charlotte Hornets: 4 Corner Hustlers - initials “C” & “H”
    Charlotte Hornets: Imperial Gangsters - Colors - Black/Pink
    Chicago Bulls: Vice Lords, Latin Counts, Mickey Cobras - colors - Black/Red
    Chicago Bulls: Black Peace Stone Nation - “Bulls” stands for “Boy You Look Like Stone”
    Chicago Black Hawks: Vice Lords - Colors - Black/Red
    Chicago Cubs: Spanish Cobras - initial “C”
    Cincinnati Reds: 4 Corner Hustlers - put a “4″ next to the “C” and an “H” inside of the “C”
    Colorado Rockies: Simon City Royals - sometimes place a white “S” in front of the “C”
    Columbia Knights: Bloods - initials “C” & “K” for Crip Killer
    Converse All Star shoe: People - five point star in the logo of label
    Dallas Cowboys: People - five point star
    Denver Broncos: Black Disciples switch “DB” for initials “BD”
    Detroit Lions: Gangster Disciples - Colors - Black/Blue
    Detroit Tigers: Folks - initial “D” for Disciples
    Detroit Tigers: Gangster Disciples - Colors: Black/Blue
    Duke: Folks - Colors - Black/Blue; “Duke” = “Disciples Utilizing Knowledge Everyday”
    Georgetown: Folks - initial “G” for Gangster
    Georgetown Hoyas: Gangster Disciples - Colors: Black/Blue; “Hoyas” stands for “Hoover’s On Your Ass” (Larry Hoover)
    Georgia Tech: Folks - initial “G” for Gangster
    Indiana University: Imperial Gangsters - initials “I” & “U” overlapping appear to make the shape of a pitchfork showing “Folks” affiliation
    Kansas City Royals: Folks - Colors: Black/Blue
    Kansas City Royals: Simon City Royals - “Royals”
    LA Dodgers: Gangster Disciples - initial “D” for Disciples
    LA Kings: Latin Kings - “Kings”
    LA Kings: People - “Kings” stands for “Kill Inglewood Nasty Gangsters”
    Los Angeles Raiders: Folks - “Raiders” stands for “Ruthless Ass Insane Disciples Running ****”
    Los Angeles Raiders: People - “Raiders” stands for “Raggedy Ass Iced Donuts Everywhere Running Scared”: used to “Disrespect” Folks
    Louis Vitton Cap: Vice Lords Initials “LV” reversed
    Miami Hurricanes: People - Color -Orange
    Michigan: Initial “M” for Maniac Latin Disciples
    Minnesota Twins: Initial “M” for Maniac Latin Disciples
    NY Yankees: Gangster Disciples Colors - Black/Blue/White
    North Carolina Tar Heels: Folks - Colors - Black/Blue
    Nike: Folks - Colors - Black/Blue
    Oakland A’s: Ambrose - initial “A” for Ambrose
    Oakland A’s: Orchestra Albany Initials “O” & “A”
    Oakland A’s: Spanish Cobras - Color - Green
    Orlando Magic: Folks - “Magic” stands for “Maniacs and Gangsters in Chicago”; Colors - Black/Blue represents numerous “Folks” gangs
    Philadelphia Phillies: People - initial “P” for “People”
    Phoenix Suns: Black Peace Stone Nation - initials “P” & “S”
    Pittsburgh Pirates: Colors - Black/Gold for Latin Kings; Bloods - Initial “P”; for Pirus (Bloods)
    San Francisco Giants: Folks - switch initials for “Super Gangster Folk”
    San Francisco Giants: Future Stones Initials “S” & “F” spelled backwards San Francisco (Any) Stone Freaks Initials “S” & “F”
    St. Louis Cardinals: Spanish Vice Lords - red-colored hat
    Starter Symbol: Folks - crack the five point star to disrespect the “People”
    Starter Symbol: People - five point star
    Texas Rangers: People - initial “T” looks like pitchfork pointing down
    University of Illinois: Folks - initials “U” & “I” together appear to be a pitchfork pointing up
    University of Nevada at Las Vegas: (UNLV ) -Vice Lords Colors: Red/Black; “UNLV” backwards stands for “Vice Lords Nation United”

    http://www.corrections.com/news/arti...te-sports-team

    More here:

    http://www.ncgangcops.org/archives/Team%20Logos.pdf

    Sports Colors Say More Than You Think Gangs use sports caps to identify themselves Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Sports-Colors-Say-More-Than-You-Think-99297664.html#ixzz26AjFjZs4
    ___________________________________

    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

    Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

    All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

  18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:


  19. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,299
    Greeley gang violence frustrates community members

    "GREELEY — Five gang-related shooting incidents — one in which an officer killed a man suspected of taking part in gang-related gunfire on Father's Day — may be enough to kick-start what some would say is a necessary community conversation.
    "I'm really upset," said Art Terrazas, who has worked to end gangs and gang violence for several years. "We're losing kids, whether they're 10 or 26, like the guy that got shot Friday. It's idiotic."

    http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21...munity-members
    ___________________________________

    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

    Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

    All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:


  21. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,299
    Peyton Manning jerseys barred under Colorado school district's dress code

    "The district has had an anti-gang dress code since at least the 2008-09 school year, forbidding students from wearing blue and red shirts, belts and shoe laces. They are also prohibited from wearing jerseys with the numbers 18, 13 and 14 — the latter two because of their association with the Sureño and Norteño gangs — and the reverse numbers, 31, 41 and 81.
    Student must not have shaved or notched eyebrows; cannot wear red or blue "Dickies" or "Southpole" brand pants, shorts or shirts; or red or blue
    bandana or any color bandana that is draped on clothing or hanging out of a pocket.
    The purpose, Fiedler said, is to minimize gang activity in school.
    "Since we did put this in place, we have had a reduction in the reports or incidents of students displaying gang attire and affiliation, he said.
    The 18th Street gang is still a menace in the community, according to prosecutors."
    ___________________________________

    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

    Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

    All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:


  23. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,718
    It might be easier to list which letters and colors are not banned.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:


  25. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    It might be easier to list which letters and colors are not banned.
    Uniforms solve all kinds of problems. I wish all schools would adopt them although I know that, too, is often met with objections.
    ___________________________________

    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

    Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

    All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:


  27. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,798
    Geez - they would HATE to see where I work (Peyton Manning Children's Hospital) There are #18s EVERYWHERE.

  28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marycarney For This Useful Post:


  29. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,299
    Quote Originally Posted by marycarney View Post
    Geez - they would HATE to see where I work (Peyton Manning Children's Hospital) There are #18s EVERYWHERE.
    It's such a shame that kids have to grow up not being able to just be kids and wear what they want. It's rewarding to me to see the parents who so desperately want a better life for their kids getting help to turn their neighborhoods around.
    ___________________________________

    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

    Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

    All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:


  31. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    28,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Orlando View Post
    Gang Affiliated Sports Team Apparel or Logos
    Atlanta Braves: People- initial “A” for Almighty
    Boston Celtics: Spanish Cobras - Colors - Green/Black
    British Knights: Crips - initials “B” & “K” for Blood Killers
    Burger King: Crips - initials “B” & “K” for Blood Killers
    Charlotte Hornets: 4 Corner Hustlers - initials “C” & “H”
    Charlotte Hornets: Imperial Gangsters - Colors - Black/Pink
    Chicago Bulls: Vice Lords, Latin Counts, Mickey Cobras - colors - Black/Red
    Chicago Bulls: Black Peace Stone Nation - “Bulls” stands for “Boy You Look Like Stone”
    Chicago Black Hawks: Vice Lords - Colors - Black/Red
    Chicago Cubs: Spanish Cobras - initial “C”
    Cincinnati Reds: 4 Corner Hustlers - put a “4″ next to the “C” and an “H” inside of the “C”
    Colorado Rockies: Simon City Royals - sometimes place a white “S” in front of the “C”
    Columbia Knights: Bloods - initials “C” & “K” for Crip Killer
    Converse All Star shoe: People - five point star in the logo of label
    Dallas Cowboys: People - five point star
    Denver Broncos: Black Disciples switch “DB” for initials “BD”
    Detroit Lions: Gangster Disciples - Colors - Black/Blue
    Detroit Tigers: Folks - initial “D” for Disciples
    Detroit Tigers: Gangster Disciples - Colors: Black/Blue
    Duke: Folks - Colors - Black/Blue; “Duke” = “Disciples Utilizing Knowledge Everyday”
    Georgetown: Folks - initial “G” for Gangster
    Georgetown Hoyas: Gangster Disciples - Colors: Black/Blue; “Hoyas” stands for “Hoover’s On Your Ass” (Larry Hoover)
    Georgia Tech: Folks - initial “G” for Gangster
    Indiana University: Imperial Gangsters - initials “I” & “U” overlapping appear to make the shape of a pitchfork showing “Folks” affiliation
    Kansas City Royals: Folks - Colors: Black/Blue
    Kansas City Royals: Simon City Royals - “Royals”
    LA Dodgers: Gangster Disciples - initial “D” for Disciples
    LA Kings: Latin Kings - “Kings”
    LA Kings: People - “Kings” stands for “Kill Inglewood Nasty Gangsters”
    Los Angeles Raiders: Folks - “Raiders” stands for “Ruthless Ass Insane Disciples Running ****”
    Los Angeles Raiders: People - “Raiders” stands for “Raggedy Ass Iced Donuts Everywhere Running Scared”: used to “Disrespect” Folks
    Louis Vitton Cap: Vice Lords Initials “LV” reversed
    Miami Hurricanes: People - Color -Orange
    Michigan: Initial “M” for Maniac Latin Disciples
    Minnesota Twins: Initial “M” for Maniac Latin Disciples
    NY Yankees: Gangster Disciples Colors - Black/Blue/White
    North Carolina Tar Heels: Folks - Colors - Black/Blue
    Nike: Folks - Colors - Black/Blue
    Oakland A’s: Ambrose - initial “A” for Ambrose
    Oakland A’s: Orchestra Albany Initials “O” & “A”
    Oakland A’s: Spanish Cobras - Color - Green
    Orlando Magic: Folks - “Magic” stands for “Maniacs and Gangsters in Chicago”; Colors - Black/Blue represents numerous “Folks” gangs
    Philadelphia Phillies: People - initial “P” for “People”
    Phoenix Suns: Black Peace Stone Nation - initials “P” & “S”
    Pittsburgh Pirates: Colors - Black/Gold for Latin Kings; Bloods - Initial “P”; for Pirus (Bloods)
    San Francisco Giants: Folks - switch initials for “Super Gangster Folk”
    San Francisco Giants: Future Stones Initials “S” & “F” spelled backwards San Francisco (Any) Stone Freaks Initials “S” & “F”
    St. Louis Cardinals: Spanish Vice Lords - red-colored hat
    Starter Symbol: Folks - crack the five point star to disrespect the “People”
    Starter Symbol: People - five point star
    Texas Rangers: People - initial “T” looks like pitchfork pointing down
    University of Illinois: Folks - initials “U” & “I” together appear to be a pitchfork pointing up
    University of Nevada at Las Vegas: (UNLV ) -Vice Lords Colors: Red/Black; “UNLV” backwards stands for “Vice Lords Nation United”

    http://www.corrections.com/news/arti...te-sports-team

    More here:

    http://www.ncgangcops.org/archives/Team%20Logos.pdf

    Sports Colors Say More Than You Think Gangs use sports caps to identify themselves Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Sports-Colors-Say-More-Than-You-Think-99297664.html#ixzz26AjFjZs4
    Nothing Buffalo Bills related.
    Buttons updated 09-27-2014



    Made by HD ----->

    Warning: Some buttons may be offensive!
    BAD WORDS AND OFFENSIVE MATERIAL,
    AND STUFF LIKE THAT THERE!!




  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:


  33. #17
    Tawny's Avatar
    Tawny is offline To deny the facts would be illogical - Spock
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,958
    This is why I hate "blanket" no tolerance policies. There are always going to be innocent people who get in trouble for not even having a CLUE that something falls under a no tolerance policy.

  34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tawny For This Useful Post:


  35. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    28,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawny View Post
    This is why I hate "blanket" no tolerance policies. There are always going to be innocent people who get in trouble for not even having a CLUE that something falls under a no tolerance policy.
    I think it's more how they're dealt with. This kid could have been told not to wear it anymore in school instead of being told to take it off. JMO
    Buttons updated 09-27-2014



    Made by HD ----->

    Warning: Some buttons may be offensive!
    BAD WORDS AND OFFENSIVE MATERIAL,
    AND STUFF LIKE THAT THERE!!




  36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:


  37. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    106
    What a joke.

  38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lunchbox For This Useful Post:


  39. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,299
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    What a joke.
    It's no joke to people who have to live in fear of gang violence everyday.
    ___________________________________

    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

    Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

    All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

  40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:


  41. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    106
    Meh. I still think its ridiculous.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

  42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lunchbox For This Useful Post:


  43. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,703
    School seizes 16-year-old boy's rosary beads because they are 'gang symbol'

    In an alarmingly over the top ruling a Colorado high school confiscated rosary beads from a student because officials believed he was wearing them to mark affiliation to a gang.
    Manuel Vigil was outraged when staff at Thompson Valley High School in Loveland accused him of being part of a gang, forcibly taking his religious symbol from him and refusing to return it.
    The 16-year-old and his family are strong Catholics and he insists he wears the beads to protect himself from harm, having at no point been a part of a gang.



    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-symbol.html

  44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrackerSam For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-21-2014, 10:59 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 02:40 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 12:50 PM
  4. Second-Grader Commits Suicide in New Jersey
    By iNTERESTEDWOMAN in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 10:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •