756 users online (113 members and 643 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Police probe Denver dad who submitted obituary for alive and well boy

A Colorado dad who reported the death of his 7-year-old son should be glad to know he was mistaken, but police are investigating whether there is more to the errant obituary than meets the eye.

Jason McCoy told the Post Independent in Glenwood Springs his son Seth had died Aug. 8 in a Denver hospital, and even submitted an obituary for the boy on Aug. 30. But Seth is alive and well, and living with his mother, Jennifer Stretch, of Arapahoe County. She has no clue as to why her ex-husband took out the death notice.............

Jason McCoy, who earlier claimed he was told of the boy's death by the Arapahoe County Human Services Department [not so], said he is "no longer sure" his son is dead.

“I am calling everybody I can call, backtracking all over,” McCoy told the Post Independent on Wednesday. “If he is alive, I would love to see him. I haven't seen him in a month and a half.” [nor has he called in a month]

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/07...#ixzz25p1vIX2t

Either this guy is mentally ill or something else is going on....why would a father do this knowing it's not true?

I 'm thinking he intended to use to get out of paying child support???? He should never be allowed to see his son.

Maybe he was planning on collecting some life insurance on the boy and thought they'd accept an obituary as proof. Maybe he told a new girlfriend that his son died in order to get sympathy. Maybe it was supposed to be a veiled threat.

Jason McCoy, who earlier claimed he was told of the boy's death by the Arapahoe County Human Services Department [not so], said he is "no longer sure" his son is dead.

WTF?

Everyone seems focused on the dad, but it could also have been an attempt on the mother's side to keep pops from the child either because she just doesn't want to share him or in an attempt to get the dad in trouble for not paying child support (which of course would stop if the father thought the child was dead). Obviously the parents do not have a close relationship, or he would have called when he heard of the death. I've known people to play stupid games like this once they split up. It could even have been someone not related to the child at all trying to hurt the man or get him in trouble. He would have believed someone who called and claimed to be an official, especially if he was having to do thru them for visitations and stuff. It would be interesting if they could check his phone records, see what incoming calls came in the day he claimed to have heard his son died.

The dad didn't use his given name in the obituary. He is Clarence Jason McCoy. He used Bethany Tharp as the name of the child's mom. That ain't her. His outraged mom is Jennifer Stretch.

People!!!!!!!!!! What is up?

http://www.postindependent.com/artic...NEWS/120909966

Here we go. The boy visited his dad for two weeks in the summer. After that the "girlfriend" Tharp posted on her FB the little guy was in hospital and had tumors and was in a sterile bubble and then died. She posted he was cremated.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/09/0...aims-son-died/

Holy fake death. That poor kid had to stay with these two. Maybe she was trying to reason she never wanted the boy to come back? The child's mom believes it was to get attention.

Bless that mom because I think I may have been at that chicks door and she'd be having an obituary.

I would certainly be interested in hearing the motive behind this one.

Maybe he had a vivid dream about it, and isn't stable enough mentally to tell dreams from reality. I don't think that though; I think he's just a flake looking for attention/sympathy.
    Every murderer is someone's old friend ... Agatha Christie

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    Here we go. The boy visited his dad for two weeks in the summer. After that the "girlfriend" Tharp posted on her FB the little guy was in hospital and had tumors and was in a sterile bubble and then died. She posted he was cremated.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/09/0...aims-son-died/

Holy fake death. That poor kid had to stay with these two. Maybe she was trying to reason she never wanted the boy to come back? The child's mom believes it was to get attention.

Bless that mom because I think I may have been at that chicks door and she'd be having an obituary.
    Thanks for the link, Filly...here we go indeed....money, money, money.....quote from mother:

Stretch said McCoy contacted her about the situation and “He actually asked me to let it lie, whatever that means, to just leave it alone.”

Police in New Castle, where McCoy lives, said they have an open investigation into the situation.
    Sure these scums to want her to forgetaboutit. I'm impressed with the LE taking this seriously, even contacting the school to make sure the boy is enrolled and doing well.

In the comments today, someone says this GF Tharp pulled a similar trick before and got $5000! She is bad enough but to let a GF do something like this using your son as bait is outrageous to me....I hope there is some way they can charge them with attempted fraud or whatever. These 2 scum need to spend a little time behind bars and he should never be allowed to see the child again and child support be increased....maybe that's a little overboard but to try a scam telling the world your son is DEAD...it's almost like wishful thinking on his part...I'm so mad!

I was wondering if at anytime they were asking for donations, had any fundraisers or anything on those lines.

I couldn't find any evidence of fraudulent activity on the internet but they could have deleted their posts.

I also thought it would be easy for LE to figure that one out and didn't see any indication from LE that this was going on.

There was a woman near me who shaved her head and faked having cancer. Her and her husband got quite a bit of money in donations before they were caught.