No Body murder charges in Stacy's case?

Cubby

fly the W!
Reaction score
The prosecutor who convicted Drew Peterson of killing his third wife, Kathleen Savio, will decide in a couple of weeks whether he’ll charge Peterson in connection with the disappearance of his fourth wife.

<snip>

Some incriminating remarks that Stacy Peterson made to her pastor were allowed at trial, but a key detail was barred because of husband-wife privilege <snip>

He says husband-wife privilege shouldn&#8217;t apply if a man murders his wife.

Glasgow said Friday he&#8217;s waiting for the conclusion of another high-profile trial &#8211; the murder trial of Christopher Vaughn, who&#8217;s accused of killing his family &#8212; before convening investigators and prosecutors to discuss additional charges against Peterson. That could happen in the next couple of weeks.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/09...soon-whether-drew-peterson-faces-new-charges/

Will County State’s Attorney Jim Glasgow said Friday he’s not only pondering charges in Stacy’s disappearance, but is also putting the Stebic case “on the front burner.” Glasgow said investigators have “significant evidence” in the Stebic case, and that as soon as the Christopher Vaughn trial ends, his top prosecutors will review it all.

“With the evidence that we would have, you can prosecute a murder case without a body,” Glasgow said Friday. “It’s more difficult, but the longer the person is missing with absolutely no contact, the stronger the case becomes that they’re deceased.”

http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/news/14996246-418/glasgow-stebic-case-on-the-front-burner.html

Could this mean no body murder charges in both Stacy and Lisa's cases?

http://www.nobodycases.com/

Legal experts: Little reason to charge Drew Peterson with Stacy’s murder

http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/...-charge-drew-peterson-with-stacys-murder.html

Long article worth the read imo. I have to vehemently disagree with those who believe there is no reason to charge Drew with Stacy's murder, especially becaue it would cost the tax payers too much. :steamed:

I hope Glasgow takes the baton and goes forward with pursuing no body murder charges. If not, we Illinoisans will be sending a message that it is OK to murder and hide bodies of wives so child support doesn't have to be paid and marital assets shouldn't be divided upon divorce. Giving Drew a pass for Stacy's murder will also make a statement that Illinois say's it's OK to murder and hide witnesses who can provide incriminating testimony against perps who commit such heinous crimes as Drew did.

Lastly, for those who say it will do nothing more than 'satisfy family'? How horrid of a statement. When does any family not deserve justice? God forbid those who toss out the statement, it will just satisfy family, so casually find themselves on the receiving end of seeking justice for a missing and presumed deceased family member.

Praying Glasgow does the right thing and charges Drew for Stacy's murder if he believes the state has enough to convict. :please:

At this point, without a body, I don't see there being enough evidence to charge him with her murder. The DT can still try and say she ran away from her responsibilities, being so young and having 4 kids to care for. Or that she ran away from Drew, and something bad happened later on. I know in my :heartbeat: that Drew killed Stacy. But I don't think there is enough proof yet to take him to trial. JMO

ETA: I wonder if DP would stick with the same DT if he was charged?

I have to disagree, Katydid'. We don't know what physical evidence LE may have uncovered since Drew's arrest. His arrest was quite some time ago. We know she was murdered to keep her from revealing what she knew about another murder. We have a witness protection plan for this very reason.

According to Tad Dibiase, there is a 90% conviction rate on no body cases.

Through August 7, 2012 (373 trials) (48 states, DC and Virgin Islands)(No cases found in: NH and IDAHO) (Approximately 41 dismissals, mistrials, acquittals or reversals on appeal for conviction rate of approximately 90%) (Approximately 16 death penalty cases)​

http://www.nobodycases.com/no_body2.pdf

At this point, without a body, I don't see there being enough evidence to charge him with her murder. The DT can still try and say she ran away from her responsibilities, being so young and having 4 kids to care for. Or that she ran away from Drew, and something bad happened later on. I know in my :heartbeat: that Drew killed Stacy. But I don't think there is enough proof yet to take him to trial. JMO

ETA: I wonder if DP would stick with the same DT if he was charged?

I believe that since the verdict of guilty came in on Savio's case, and all the hearsay evidence allowed set a precident, that they should move forward. The facts of Stacy's disappearance and her fears stated to the pastor...along with the "ride-bys" of the BBPD squad car, her fears stated to friends and family, and Drew's potential threatening behaviors, along with his history of being convicted of Domestic Viloence/ Murder will be enough to charge and convict. I am hoping it is soon!

Here is a little info on two no body murder convictions in IL.

It looks like, in both cases, the perp admitted it. Unsure what they plead though.

Chimene Ellena of Springfield. murdered by her boyfriend.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...dUiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=tC8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=2651,5174697

Cheryl Huff, DuPage County.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/huff_cheryl.html

Interesting, in Cheryl's case the perp admitted to burning her body with wood and kerosene in a 55 gallon drum. It sounds like there may be some similiarities with this case and Stacy's case. Authorities do not believe Cheryl's remains are recoverable.

If authorities believe Stacy's remains are not recoverable, does that mean Drew should get a pass? Rewarded for hiding her remains well enough they are not recoverable?

ETA: I don't know that authorities would reveal whether or not they believe Stacy's remains are recoverable or not at this point in the investigation.

I believe that since the verdict of guilty came in on Savio's case, and all the hearsay evidence allowed set a precident, that they should move forward. The facts of Stacy's disappearance and her fears stated to the pastor...along with the "ride-bys" of the BBPD squad car, her fears stated to friends and family, and Drew's potential threatening behaviors, along with his history of being convicted of Domestic Viloence/ Murder will be enough to charge and convict. I am hoping it is soon!

Add the witness to the disposing of Stacy's remains in the blue barrel.

And here is another no body murder conviction out of Cook County.

In fact, Stacy is mentioned in this msm article as the article is from just shortly after Stacy's disappearance.

You don't need to find the corpse to convict the killer: 30-year-old case reminds us that `no body' does not necessarily mean no justice

In the Lyng case, for instance, investigators learned from one of Ed Lyng's former employees that she had helped him leave his wife's car at a remote parking lot at O'Hare International Airport on the day she vanished. That wasn't enough for an indictment. Neither was a statement from one of Ed Lyng's nephews that Lyng had offered him $50,000 to kill Stephanie.

It wasn't until 1992 that the ex-employee finally told investigators that Lyng had drawn her into his scheme, told her how he'd stabbed Stephanie and dumped her body in a remote area of Lake County, then threatened to have her killed if she told on him.

That was enough. Cook County prosecutors didn't have a body or a murder weapon, but they still had enough to convict Lyng of murder in March, 1994.

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2007/11/lyng.html

ETA: Lyng's Charley Project page. Nothing at Charley to indicate prosecutors had any forensic evidence in Stephanie's case, just witness testimony.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lyng_stephanie.html

I also have wondered for a long time now, just what else the State does have, regarding Stacy. The fact that not one member of the Bolingbrook PD was called by the defense on Drew's behalf says to me that there might be some damaging testimony from some of the boys in blue, when it comes to Stacy's case.

Add the witness to the disposing of Stacy's remains in the blue barrel.

I saw an interview with SA Glasgow a couple of days ago. He talked about lack of electronic records and what the pastor was told as being possibly usuable to get a conviction regarding SP's disappearance. However his bigger concern seemed to be the mental stability of Thomas Morphey.

Ah yes, poor Tom Morphey. With his past history of some pretty bad mental illness if I recall correctly, any Defense team would annihilate any testimony he could bring. However, using him anyway....any member of any jury could probably bring to mind someone they themselves know with mental illness, and therefore could understand how Drew Peterson would most definitely knowingly use a poor unstable soul like Tom for an alibi/witness. Tom still could be beneficial, if the state was careful with him.

Ah yes, poor Tom Morphey. With his past history of some pretty bad mental illness if I recall correctly, any Defense team would annihilate any testimony he could bring. However, using him anyway....any member of any jury could probably bring to mind someone they themselves know with mental illness, and therefore could understand how Drew Peterson would most definitely knowingly use a poor unstable soul like Tom for an alibi/witness. Tom still could be beneficial, if the state was careful with him.

I agree. We have a proven track record here of how Drew preyed upon vulnerable people. The state would have to fit that in somehow.

http://www.acandyrose.com/drew_peterson_trial-1.htm

01/21/2010: Thomas Morphey (Drew Peterson's Step-brother) (Media Excerpts)
01/21/2010: Prosecutors played video footage and witness interviews showing that both men at Starbucks, day of blue barrel incident.
01/21/2010: Morning of Saturday, Oct. 27, 2007, Peterson drove Morphey to an industrial park. (www.chicagotribune.com)
01/21/2010: Drew Peterson then told Morphey that Stacy was cheating on him and wanted a divorce
01/21/2010: Peterson to give Morphey $200 to rent a storage unit [Romeoville] under Morphey's name and store a container there.
01/21/2010: "I said, 'What about the smell?'" Morphey said. "He said (the container) would be airtight."
01/21/2010: Peterson said Morphey would check on the unit "from time to time to make sure there was no odor."
01/21/2010: Peterson would return in six months after the "smoke cleared" to take care of it. (www.chicagotribune.com)
01/21/2010: If something happened to Peterson, he told Morphey to "drop it in the canal." (www.chicagotribune.com)
01/21/2010: Drew said Stacy was cheating on him with two possible lovers, one of whom he wanted to frame for Stacy's murder.
01/21/2010: Peterson wanted Morphey to drive Stacy's car to Shorewood, where one of Stacy's men lived.
01/21/2010: Peterson wanted to leave the car there with the keys in the ashtray in an attempt to lead the cops there.
01/21/2010: Peterson said Stacy wanted him out in 4 days, seeking custody of their two children and Savio's two boys.
01/21/2010: "She wanted half his pension, which meant he had to work for the rest of his life," Morphey said.
01/21/2010: Morphey also told how Peterson dropped him off in a park with a cell phone for about an hour the night after Stacy was last
01/21/2010: Morphey said Peterson told him not to answer the phone when it rang.
01/21/2010: The phone rang twice, Morphey said, and both times the caller ID showed Stacy's name

Thanks Cubby for all your help! Now I am again glued to the great info over at ACR's site....fascinating!

PS....Thank you so much, acandyrose for all you have done!

Everyone knows DP killed Stacy. Until he is also prosecuted & found guilty in Stacy's death, I'm of the mind that Justice for Kathleen is Justice for Stacy. Even if he is never prosecuted/found guilty in Stacy's death (and I do NOT want that to happen- Stacy's case deserves to be prosecuted), we all know he is guilty and I will take solace that he's in jail where he can never victimize another woman again.

When serial killer Derrick Todd Lee was found guilty in the death of Charlotte "Murray" Pace (her murder had the most forensic evidence to bring to trial, although there wasn't a lack of DNA evidence in the other murders), the mother of another of many his victims, Pam Kinnamore, said "Justice for Murray is justice for Pam."

DP behind bars for life is justice for Kathleen, Stacy, and any others until their cases can be closed. And we have brave Stacy (and her pastor) to thank for this.

I can't imagine what Kathleen thought of Stacy when Drew started seeing her while they were married. She probably hated the other woman's guts (and knew DP was manipulating her as well) but today I think of them as girlfriends in the afterlife united by what they went through with DP in life. Kathleen probably never would have thought that the other woman would have been the person that brought her justice.

I am going to have to do a ton of reading on Stacy's case. One thing I would say now is that I hope Glasgow doesn't rush it to trial. I believe that they have at least 2 years to perfect the case, and possibly find Stacy's remains. Since Drew is already behind bars and an appeal would take 2 years minimum, I don't see the hurry to do it right away.

People who may have been intimidated by Drew may still come forward with information.

Let's remember that Darlee Routier was only tried for one of her son's murders. If, someday in the future, her case were to be vacated for some reason and she couldn't be tried again for the same murder, they still have one to charge her with and take to trial.

I do think he should be tried for Stacy's murder. She does deserve justice and her family has every right to see that trial take place.

I think Stacy's body is under the last section of 355 that would have been poured at the time of her murder. Peterson could have easily found out the final construction schedule. I wish they would use penetrating radar. I actually sent an email to Glasgow's office suggesting that is where to look a few years back. They said this suggestion had been thought of. Too bad they have not acted on it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back