1091 users online (241 members and 850 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 85 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

GA - Ivy Merck, 24, Kingsland, August 2012 - #2

Ivy Dawn Merck, a Camden native and University of Georgia graduate, was listed as missing after her father, Steven Merck, told police in Athens that his daughter never arrived home in Kingsland last Thursday.

Ivy Merck's name and a description of her car, a dark green 2008 Honda CRV, were entered into law enforcement's statewide computer system this week. Her license place number is AYZ-5912.

http://www.tribune-georgian.com/arti...pstory8.29.txt

Thread #1
    Last edited by imamaze; 09-09-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added thread #1

GA - Ivy Merck, 24, Kingsland, August 2012 #2

Please continue here...

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    I don't recall who mentioned a cruise. That is a very good theory. Perhaps she boarded a cruise and doesn't even realize she's missing. Is there a way to find out where and when she could have boarded? What cruises are available?
    Yep...what I was thinking.

IMO, we don't know what the note said. May have been cryptic, may have said something as simple as "don't worry". Seems to me, a lot of the speculation is because all this is waaay out of "character" for Ivy.
    I'm not a "teller". My family knows very little about my "personal" goings on. I know, very self centered and dangerous. I've learned from experience, though, the "eye rolls" and negative comments take the enjoyment out of my plans. So, it's usually, "I'll be back in a few". BUT, since being on this site, I ALWAYS leave a detailed note, under my pillow, with the who's, how's and why's...."just in case". Also, I have a cell phone hidden under my car seat that I turn on when I get in my car, so if, God forbid, something happens, at least LE can "follow the pings".

Back on track. Ivy was reported missing BEFORE the car was found with the note. Fliers and "Find Ivy" sites popped up PDQ. Posts from family to "cease and desist" were made. We're here scratching our heads wondering why the family is sooo NOT concerned, THEY'RE, obviously, scratching they're heads wondering what the heck happened, and WHY it's happening with the web sites, etc.

LE, IMO, just can't say, "the family kinda thinks she's fine". A Missing Persons report was made....people are asking where she is...media is trying to get answers for us.
    LE hasn't formed search groups, etc. I honestly believe this is a case of Ivy being "MIA" and the family IS concerned, and would "like" to know where she is, maybe out of a "just to make sure" type of thing.
    People aren't the same as all us here at WS. We naturally go into a "find the missing and endangered" mode...many people aren't like that. Many people take things as not always being nefarious. People DO things "out of character". Maybe she didn't want to get the "eye rolls", etc....like myself. Maybe her family/friends didn't realize she had other desires and web sites of exotic travel or other things she's never done because it would be "out of character" for her.

Cruises....there's "repositioning"...one way...most over seas/Europe...most pretty long...maybe 7 days or more, no stops, just out at sea. You find your own way back to where you came from. Her being missing right before her b'day....seems right to me.
    Again, not ALL people behave in character ALL of the time. IMO, she treated herself to a cruise for her b'day...maybe a friend she's kept in contact with has a great job after college. THEY wanted to "do" a repositioning and wanted a companion and "treated" her, and the $ from gpa was for gas to Fla, and maybe a shopping spree for her trip.

Just one site I dream and drool over quite often....
    http://www.vacationstogo.com/repositioning_cruises.cfm

IMO, she's on her way to Greece or somewhere. (MY place I'd like to "leave a note" for, so no "eye rolls", etc...LOL)
    She left a note, and like myself, thought she'd "deal" with the negativity when she gets back. At least she went, enjoyed maybe a "dream" of HERS, saw some things, did some things, and just feels the note she left will be a reassurance of her safety AND, IMO, as you said, she's not even aware in the slightest bit what's going on. She probably feels the note was good enough, and is off on an adventure and will deal with all else when she comes back to wherever she decides to be.

I pray I'm right, I hope she went to Greece and is doing all the things I've always wanted and dreamed about doing.

Oh, and the car being parked where it was....maybe she's already secured a new job at one of those vet clinics...she knows her dogs OK with her family, probably why she boarded it at the place close to her dad. She'll drive back home, pick up some more things, and her pup and maybe, continue her "adventure" in Boca. Which, BTW, is one of my fav places in Fla...rather upscale and wealthy in the places I go to visit relatives. Boca Beach Club, The Breakers in West Palm....pretty nice.
    Oh, poop, now I'm all jealous!!! AND, pray I can say "see, nothing to worry about...she's baaaack!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by ugagirl View Post
    I have been reading this thread since I found out that Ivy was missing. She is a personal friend of mine who I have known for 4 years. I keep reading that her friends and family obviously do not care about her. This is not the case. There is not a second that goes by that I am not thinking about Ivy. I know just as much as yall do so I can't help shed any light to her disappearance. I just wanted to speak out and say that her friends LOVE HER and MISS HER more than anyone can imagine. This a terrible time in all of our (her friends) lives. I have stayed up many night crying and praying that she is alive and safe. No, my facebook picture is not with her or of her but that doesn't mean that I don't care about her.

Ivy, we love you! PLEASE COME HOME!!
    Welcome to WS! I hope you will all get some answers real soon. Something tells me that Ivy is ok. Call it gut instinct or whatever. I think she just needed some time away from it all. It happens. I'm just hoping she's careful and safe.

Two notes were found inside Ivy Dawn Merck's car when the Honda CRV was located Aug. 30 in Deerfield Beach, Fla. Merck, 24, has been missing since Thursday, Aug. 23, and was last seen in Kingsland.

The notes were to her parents and roommate, Camden County Sheriff's Office Deputy William Terrell said.

"Neither was more than a page long," he said. "It was basically her apologizing for leaving and saying that she had a lot of stuff going on in her life and that she needed to get away for a while."

There are more specifics in the notes but, citing an ongoing investigation, Terrell said CCSO would not release any further information at this time.

"There is no evidence that a crime has been committed," Terrell said Tuesday. "At this point we know she is gone and we know how. She traveled to Florida and her car was left there. Why that happened is one of the things we are trying to determine."

Merck's parents, Steven and Sally Merck, talked to Jacksonville, Fla., TV stations and CNN Thursday in an attempt to reach out to their daughter. The CNN segment is expected to air at 7 and 9 p.m. tonight.

"The parents are out talking about it," Terrell said. "We are trying to get as much media coverage of it as we possibly can. That was one of the things we opted to do."

Terrell said he hopes the coverage will give them some answers to Merck's disappearance.

"Foul play is not suspected, but cannot be ruled out at this time," he said. "That is one of the things we are trying to determine and we are hoping by doing all this media coverage is that someone will see her and let us know that she is OK, or she will let us know she is OK, or that we will find out a crime has been committed. We can't rule out foul play. We don't think that is the case but we can't rule it out, absolutely cannot rule out foul play."
    http://www.tribune-georgian.com/arti...opstory9.7.txt

The above news release was 09/07/2012; 15 days after Ivy Merck, was reported missing in GA, and 8 days after her vehicle was recovered on 08/30/2012 at Deerfield Mall, Broward Co., FL...

Is this the first time that some of the contents of the notes were released, or did I miss that? The part about going away for some time off is a good start. At least we know that she at least started out wanting to go away.
    Last edited by southsleuth; 09-09-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: punctuation

1. Her father is quoted in the Athens Banner Herald as saying he talked with Ivy on Aug. 22nd and she did not say she was coming home.
    http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2...-found-florida

2. HLN reported Ivy's father filed the missing person's report 5 days after Aug. 23rd.
    http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/09/06/jvm-ivy-merck

So, how did Mr. Merck find out Ivy was missing? What made him think she wasn't in Athens?

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Born View Post
    1. Her father is quoted in the Athens Banner Herald as saying he talked with Ivy on Aug. 22nd and she did not say she was coming home.
    http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2...-found-florida

2. HLN reported Ivy's father filed the missing person's report 5 days after Aug. 23rd.
    http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/09/06/jvm-ivy-merck

So, how did Mr. Merck find out Ivy was missing? What made him think she wasn't in Athens?
    From what i understand..hegot a phone call from the vet where she boarded her dog..for the records of the dog. Then he started making phone calls to her friends.

You know what..i could be wrong....did ivy call for the records..or did the vet call her parents?

"Ivy Dawn Merck, a Camden native and University of Georgia graduate, was listed as missing after her father, Steven Merck, told police in Athens that his daughter never arrived home in Kingsland last Thursday. "http://www.tribune-georgian.com/articles/2012/08/29/news/top_stories/2topstory8.29.txt

IMO-sounds like athens le was alerted by someone before they contacted him to confirm?
    ETA: of note- the word "told" instead of called

I thought Ivy's father contacted LE when he found out she was suppose to be at their home. For le to pick up the pings of her cell phone and find the car in Boca....i think her father would have already known she was missing . And then LE started looking. I'm not sure how her father found out she was suppose to be at their house....but i thought it had to do something with the vet records and the vet calling someone.

Quote Originally Posted by momrids6 View Post
    "Ivy Dawn Merck, a Camden native and University of Georgia graduate, was listed as missing after her father, Steven Merck, told police in Athens that his daughter never arrived home in Kingsland last Thursday. "http://www.tribune-georgian.com/articles/2012/08/29/news/top_stories/2topstory8.29.txt

IMO-sounds like athens le was alerted by someone before they contacted him to confirm?
    It is possible that her parents wish to support ivy in her need to get away for awhile and that is why they didn't want people posting her information and why they didn't contact the police. I don't know if this is what happened but it very much sounds like ivy is voluntary missing. I am a little worried she is suicidal but it might just be she wanted to go on walkabout.
    -Beth In Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by BethInAK View Post
    It is possible that her parents wish to support ivy in her need to get away for awhile and that is why they didn't want people posting her information and why they didn't contact the police. I don't know if this is what happened but it very much sounds like ivy is voluntary missing. I am a little worried she is suicidal but it might just be she wanted to go on walkabout.
    That's very likely, IMO. My only concern is that, in the process of getting away for awhile, something happened to Ivy.

Quote Originally Posted by momrids6 View Post

BBM

I figured he meant that in speaking to LE, he "told" them about Ivy. But maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly.

Page 1 of 85 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast