FL FL - Pasco Co., WhtMale 524UFML, 30-50, Harley Davidson, swastika tats, Jan'89

ctaylor

Reaction score
Just reading a new article on this John Doe and thought I would start a thread as could not find one. New sketches have been released today and some extra info not mentioned on Doe Network -
IMG_2500.jpeg

A USF forensic anthropologist is helping detectives inch closer to identifying a man found dead more than two decades ago.

The Pasco County Sheriff's Office released new composite sketches of the man, who was found dead in 1989 by a man searching for artifacts near an orange grove off Prospect Road in Dade City.

Using the remains and statements from the person who found the body, the anthropologist created the images.

524UMFL

Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered on January 24, 1989 in Pasco County, Florida
Estimated Date of Death: 6 - 12 weeks
Skeletal remains

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 30-42 years old (News article says 30-50)
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"-5'7"
Distinguishing Characteristics: Average build. A tattoo of a rose with green leaves, purple stripes going from the rose to an area that resembles a spider web colored in yellow and black lines. Another, undetermined tattoo. (News article mentions long auburn hair, a tattoo with initials HFD on bicep, as well as tattoos of wings, flames, cross, rebel flag and swastika. On left arm - a green flaming dragon winding around a naked lady with red high heels and a Rebel flag draped in the background. )
Dentals: Available. Extensive bridgework
Clothing: A pair of dark blue pants, a white sock with red stripes, a black t-shirt with lettering, Black Hills of South Dakota. He also had what appeared to be a portion of a brown cowboy boot. The back of the shirt contains a color heat transfer of an Indian face with Native American pictures in the background and an Indian type shield. Manufacturer Sunbelt Sportswear, medium size. A blue butane lighter in a pair of blue work pants. Eyeglasses. (Article mentions a tag on his pants with the name Randy. The glasses were Givenchy and he wore brown cowboy boots)

DNA: Available

Case History
The victim was located approximately 2 miles east of County Road 577 on County Road 579 near San Antonio, Florida. His body was found about 100 feet into the woods off of Prospect Road. He was found to the south of Prospect Road and east of Wirt Road.
He was shot in the head.
<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) and images as of July 27, 2023>

Last edited by a moderator:
This is his page on NamUs -- The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

NamUs lists four men who have been ruled out as being the decedent --
Kipling Hess III born 1966, LKA in Florida
Douglas McKenzie, born 1952, LKA in Florida
Jackson Orvin, born 1959, LKA in Florida
Charles Wood, born 1979, LKA Alabama

NamUs also has some more information about the circumstances of his body being found --
On 01/24/89, the skeletal remains of an unidentified white male decedent were found near an orange grove off Curley Rd in San Antonio, Florida (Pasco County). The presence of gun shot injuries suggest that the decedent was a victim of homicidal violence. The decedent's clothing, personal property, dentures/ dental plates, tattoos and full DNA profile provide comprehensive details to aid positive identification. These relevant case images can be reviewed in the image section of this profile. Though it has not been verified, the decedents clothing and tattoos indicate the decedent rode motorcycles or was possible affiliated with a motorcycle gang.

I was a little confused about whether or not the eyeglasses were his because they were described this way --
Thick lensed glasses found at scene, not near decedent. "Givenchy" eyeglass frames

NamUs has some more photos of his tattoos and an artist's reconstruction of the one on his left bicept --
IMG_2501.jpeg

This missing person has alot of commonalities with the information released about the UID. IMO he does not look like the sketch of the UID but I have seen some sketches that were way off before.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/867dmar.html

William Carl Reed
Missing since August 13, 1987 from Siloam Springs, Benton County, Arkansas.

*Age at Time of Disappearance: 31 years old
*Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5’7”, 155 pounds
*Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes.
*Tattoos: He has a tattoo of a cross on his arm.
*Dentals: He has a partial plate of his two upper front teeth.
*Clothing: Black shirt and blue jeans. He usually wore biker type boots.

Circumstances of Disappearance
* last seen near Siloam Springs, Arkansas on or about August 13, 1987 (fits into the timeline delineated by the article of 6 months to 2 years)
*Reed was a local biker and known drug user thought to be working for local dealers. Indications are that he was killed over drug money. He was associated with well known area persons involved in large scale drug (marijuana and methamphetamine) and theft operations.
*He owned and drove a black Honda 1100

BReed1.jpg

BReed.jpg

This site mentions more tattoos:

Tattoos: Unknown tattoo descriptions on upper right and left arms

http://www.missingin.org/reg5569/william_carl_reed.htm

I looked at Reed yesterday too but I'm sure his hair is too dark.

Auburn is such a difficult hair colour - it depends on human perception. Need to think auburn, ginger, red hair, sandy etc when making searches.

Not finding much myself but still looking.

<modsnip: broken link/image>

snippets from above link
The body had been there between six months to two years,

Additionally, a pair of work pants worn by the unidentified man had the name Randy inscribed on an inside tag. Boyer said the man's name could be Randy or the pants may have been purchased second-hand from someone by that name.

Randolph Sedlack?

Physical description is good (apart from the tattoos, he had no tattoos when he left to go travelling). Wears glasses too. No dental info for Sedlack.

The facial overlay is excellent - downward slanted eyes with heavy skin under the brow bone matches as does the size/distance apart, philtrum groove matches and distance between nose and top lip, square chin matches. The cheeks on Randolph are fatter but he would have been 3-5 years younger when the pictures were taken.

Right name.

Right circumstances: Left to go travelling.
last know location was Blacksburg, VA 11-24-1983. Reportedly was on a bus north-bound passing through MD, DE, NJ with final destination of NY

I know he could have got all of those tattoos in the 3-5 years time difference (depending on when he died) but you would have expected at least one phone call or letter home in that time??

I've not submitted this to Pasco - but I have emailed Detective Boyer to suggest that he watch this thread.
I have dropped a quick email to Namus - DNA on file for both so should be a quick rule out.

Attachments

• randolph.jpg
    randolph.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 80
  • randolph2.jpg
    randolph2.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 94
  • randolph3.jpg
    randolph3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 79
T-shirt connects Florida cold case to South Dakota

A Florida sheriff’s detective is taking a new approach to a 23-year-old murder case that might have a South Dakota connection.

Pasco County Sheriff’s detective David Boyer specializes in missing persons and has persuaded his supervisors to let him help identify a man whose skeletal remains were found in an orange grove in Dade City, Fla., in January 1989.

The victim, who was shot twice, wore a sleeveless “Black Hills of South Dakota” t-shirt, blue mechanic’s uniform pants with “Randy” inscribed on the waistband and worn, light brown cowboy boots. The white man had auburn hair and his age is estimated at between 30 and 50 years old.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/t-...cle_51d913b2-15dd-5d6c-9e0e-9f3046f02208.html

504e96a62a1fd.preview-620.jpg

After some research, I have discovered that "HFD" stands for "Harley F'ing Davidson." I found a website with tattoos that had those initials...and that's what it meant. I thought that the HD probably stood for Harley Davidson because those 2 letters were bigger than the F in the middle. So, I don't believe that HFD are his initials.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Hells Angels have swastika tattoos and there was mention in the prev article I posted of them in Fl.

BTW, found this
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally 2023 - Concerts, Music Festival

Apparently there is an annual motorcycle rally in South Dakota (72nd annual this year) that it is noted that the Hells Angels attend <modsnip: broken link>

Edit-this old article says they had a club house in Pasco County in the 80's. Interesting. Wonder where it was at.

hdforums
I've pulled up all threads tagged with pasco:
www. hdforums .com/forum/tags/pasco.html
(added a space so it's not a direct link)

and there is a section dedicated to florida
www. hdforums .com/forum/the-florida-crew-127/

Plus interesting (bickering! lol) thread at topix too giving locations on the outlaws:
www. topix .com/forum/city/fort-lauderdale-fl/T1VL7U1H1DLK1A20Q

The tattoo with the swastika pictured on the link looks more like an Egyptian Pharoah

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Commenting on my own thoughts here, there is a motorcycle group called "the Pharaohs" that was started in the mid 80's in Missouri.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

glasses and reconstruction look like this man: Jeffrey Allen Coonradt – The Charley Project

although it would think it an unlikely match due to distance. hate it when namus says "dental available" and there is nothing there...it would save a lot of spinning wheels time.

another thought on the motorcycle angle, bike week down in daytona is apparently in march and has been going on before 1988. might have attended?

i checked in to some fugitive sites today, but nothing clicks. assuming John was too advanced into decomp to get viable fingerprints?

Hells Angels have swastika tattoos and there was mention in the prev article I posted of them in Fl.

BTW, found this
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally 2023 - Concerts, Music Festival

Apparently there is an annual motorcycle rally in South Dakota (72nd annual this year) that it is noted that the Hells Angels attend <modsnip: broken link>
We live near Sturgis and my first thought was that he was there and got caught up in something. It's not only HAs there, Sons of Anarchy and other rival clubs show up. A couple years ago there was a shootout and one club member was killed.

my very humble opinion is that this guy was dead much less than 6 months. his tattoos were that well preserved and they think he might have been dead 2 yrs? no way.

this is not like a body found in the dry desert where the skin can mummify. it's FL for heaven's sake.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back