1116 users online (269 members and 847 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Elizabeth Johnson Trial - Jury Selection

Even though the court record shows the trial started, they are still in the jury selection process of the trial.

OHAAAI artsy!!
    Don't take yourself so seriously... nobody else does.

any word on how jury selection is going/went?

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    any word on how jury selection is going/went?

Haven't heard anything. There was a hearing scheduled this am with jury selection to continue this afternoon. I notice there's been another hearing set for Thursday at 3 pm- no idea what it's about.

from the docket:

9/13/2012 15:00 Evidentiary Hearing

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov...2/m5413654.pdf

9/4/2012 MINUTE ENTRY

...Discussion is held as to the Stateís Motion to Admit Evidence Pursuant to Rule 404. The Court will defer Rule 404 resolution at this time.

...Discussion is held as to Defendantís Motion for Voluntariness Hearing and Motion to Suppress.

...Discussion is held as to Defendantís Motion in Limine to Exclude a Text Message Between Elizabeth Johnson and Tammi Smith. For the reasons set forth on the record,

IT IS ORDERED granting Defendantís Motion.

...As to Defendantís Motions in Limine to Exclude Elizabeth Johnsonís Statement to Detective Velazquez and Special Agent Chavez; The State shall file a Response to the Motions no later than 5:00 p.m. on September 7, 2012.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov...2/m5413526.pdf

9/6/2012 TRIAL DAY TWO

...Scott Dutcher from the Maricopa County Sheriffís Office is present.
    The jury is not present.
    Discussion is held as to Defendantís refusal to be transported, Defendantís jail
    circumstances and the electronic belt worn during trial proceedings. Defendant is cautioned that there will now be a permanent directive that she be transported by any means necessary for trial...

Is there any other reason besides EJ being a wacko, as to why she doesnt want to attend her own trial? She is a very smart girl (IMO) why wouldnt she want to have her day in court. Is it because there will be actual evidence that will put her away for good? I dont get it.
    Evil is no faceless stranger, living in a distant neighborhood. Evil has a wholesome, hometown face, with merry eyes and an open smile. Evil walks among us. Dean Koontz

Quote Originally Posted by leighmarker View Post
    Is there any other reason besides EJ being a wacko, as to why she doesnt want to attend her own trial? She is a very smart girl (IMO) why wouldnt she want to have her day in court. Is it because there will be actual evidence that will put her away for good? I dont get it.
    exactly, she knows she is guilty and she can't put this off any longer. i bet she is also on suicide watch.

I suspect that she figures that even if she's found guilty on all counts, that her sentence will amount to time served. If that's the case, I'm sure she thinks there's no point to having a trial if she gets released at the end, so why bother to show up.

JMHO

Has anyone confirmed if the when the trail starts it will be aired either on in session or some place else? Sorry to ask I have looked through several threads but it didnt seem like anyone had any definate.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Troubled View Post
    Has anyone confirmed if the when the trail starts it will be aired either on in session or some place else? Sorry to ask I have looked through several threads but it didnt seem like anyone had any definate.
    Thanks
    it will be

azfamily and cnn fo sho

Quote Originally Posted by saba View Post
    http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov...2/m5413654.pdf

9/4/2012 MINUTE ENTRY

...Discussion is held as to the Stateís Motion to Admit Evidence Pursuant to Rule 404. The Court will defer Rule 404 resolution at this time.

...Discussion is held as to Defendantís Motion for Voluntariness Hearing and Motion to Suppress.

...Discussion is held as to Defendantís Motion in Limine to Exclude a Text Message Between Elizabeth Johnson and Tammi Smith. For the reasons set forth on the record,

IT IS ORDERED granting Defendantís Motion.

...As to Defendantís Motions in Limine to Exclude Elizabeth Johnsonís Statement to Detective Velazquez and Special Agent Chavez; The State shall file a Response to the Motions no later than 5:00 p.m. on September 7, 2012.
    Does this mean that one of the messages to TS are not going to be entered as evidence? The legalese is so confusing

Quote Originally Posted by saba View Post
    http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov...2/m5413526.pdf

9/6/2012 TRIAL DAY TWO

...Scott Dutcher from the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office is present.
    The jury is not present.
    Discussion is held as to Defendant’s refusal to be transported, Defendant’s jail
    circumstances and the electronic belt worn during trial proceedings. Defendant is cautioned that there will now be a permanent directive that she be transported by any means necessary for trial...
    BBM: I don't get this. I don't know how this is legal, especially if someone is considered innocent until proven guilty. I'm not saying I think she's innocent (I don't) but how is this constitutional? Can't she waive her right to be there?
    Last edited by my2sense; 09-12-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: to add BBM

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov...2/m5415693.pdf

9/10/1012 TRIAL MINUTE ENTRY DAY THREE

...Defendantís motion to remove stun belt is addressed.
    The Court advises defense counsel to contact Mr. Dutcher to address the issue before the Court.

4:08 p.m. Court stands at recess until September 11, 2012 at 10:30 a.m. for Evidentiary Hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
    BBM: I don't get this. I don't know how this is legal, especially if someone is considered innocent until proven guilty. I'm not saying I think she's innocent (I don't) but how is this constitutional? Can't she waive her right to be there?
    I am also pretty confused by this, and not too crazy about it. I wonder if we can ask one of our verified lawyers to chime in?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast