Elizabeth Johnson Trial - Jury Selection

artsy1

Reaction score
Even though the court record shows the trial started, they are still in the jury selection process of the trial.

any word on how jury selection is going/went?

Haven't heard anything. There was a hearing scheduled this am with jury selection to continue this afternoon. I notice there's been another hearing set for Thursday at 3 pm- no idea what it's about.

from the docket:

9/13/2012 15:00 Evidentiary Hearing

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/092012/m5413654.pdf

9/4/2012 MINUTE ENTRY

...Discussion is held as to the State’s Motion to Admit Evidence Pursuant to Rule 404. The Court will defer Rule 404 resolution at this time.

...Discussion is held as to Defendant’s Motion for Voluntariness Hearing and Motion to Suppress.

...Discussion is held as to Defendant’s Motion in Limine to Exclude a Text Message Between Elizabeth Johnson and Tammi Smith. For the reasons set forth on the record,

IT IS ORDERED granting Defendant’s Motion.

...As to Defendant’s Motions in Limine to Exclude Elizabeth Johnson’s Statement to Detective Velazquez and Special Agent Chavez; The State shall file a Response to the Motions no later than 5:00 p.m. on September 7, 2012.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/092012/m5413526.pdf

9/6/2012 TRIAL DAY TWO

...Scott Dutcher from the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office is present.
The jury is not present.
Discussion is held as to Defendant’s refusal to be transported, Defendant’s jail
circumstances and the electronic belt worn during trial proceedings. Defendant is cautioned that there will now be a permanent directive that she be transported by any means necessary for trial...

Is there any other reason besides EJ being a wacko, as to why she doesnt want to attend her own trial? She is a very smart girl (IMO) why wouldnt she want to have her day in court. Is it because there will be actual evidence that will put her away for good? I dont get it.

Is there any other reason besides EJ being a wacko, as to why she doesnt want to attend her own trial? She is a very smart girl (IMO) why wouldnt she want to have her day in court. Is it because there will be actual evidence that will put her away for good? I dont get it.

exactly, she knows she is guilty and she can't put this off any longer. i bet she is also on suicide watch.

I suspect that she figures that even if she's found guilty on all counts, that her sentence will amount to time served. If that's the case, I'm sure she thinks there's no point to having a trial if she gets released at the end, so why bother to show up.

JMHO

Has anyone confirmed if the when the trail starts it will be aired either on in session or some place else? Sorry to ask I have looked through several threads but it didnt seem like anyone had any definate.
Thanks

Has anyone confirmed if the when the trail starts it will be aired either on in session or some place else? Sorry to ask I have looked through several threads but it didnt seem like anyone had any definate.
Thanks

it will be :)

azfamily and cnn fo sho

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/092012/m5413654.pdf

9/4/2012 MINUTE ENTRY

...Discussion is held as to the State’s Motion to Admit Evidence Pursuant to Rule 404. The Court will defer Rule 404 resolution at this time.

...Discussion is held as to Defendant’s Motion for Voluntariness Hearing and Motion to Suppress.

...Discussion is held as to Defendant’s Motion in Limine to Exclude a Text Message Between Elizabeth Johnson and Tammi Smith. For the reasons set forth on the record,

IT IS ORDERED granting Defendant’s Motion.

...As to Defendant’s Motions in Limine to Exclude Elizabeth Johnson’s Statement to Detective Velazquez and Special Agent Chavez; The State shall file a Response to the Motions no later than 5:00 p.m. on September 7, 2012.

Does this mean that one of the messages to TS are not going to be entered as evidence? The legalese is so confusing

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/092012/m5413526.pdf

9/6/2012 TRIAL DAY TWO

...Scott Dutcher from the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office is present.
The jury is not present.
Discussion is held as to Defendant’s refusal to be transported, Defendant’s jail
circumstances and the electronic belt worn during trial proceedings. Defendant is cautioned that there will now be a permanent directive that she be transported by any means necessary for trial...

BBM: I don't get this. I don't know how this is legal, especially if someone is considered innocent until proven guilty. I'm not saying I think she's innocent (I don't) but how is this constitutional? Can't she waive her right to be there?

BBM: I don't get this. I don't know how this is legal, especially if someone is considered innocent until proven guilty. I'm not saying I think she's innocent (I don't) but how is this constitutional? Can't she waive her right to be there?

I am also pretty confused by this, and not too crazy about it. I wonder if we can ask one of our verified lawyers to chime in?

I wonder if Marc Victor told EJ that his associates will be handling her case, since he is busy running for office?

IMHO, if he did, then that might be the reason why EJ doesn't want to come to court - if she feels like she's being railroaded by her own attorney. Part of the reason it's taken so long to come to trial is because of all the "trust" issues she's had with every former attorney.

Just a thought....

I wonder if Marc Victor told EJ that his associates will be handling her case, since he is busy running for office?

IMHO, if he did, then that might be the reason why EJ doesn't want to come to court - if she feels like she's being railroaded by her own attorney. Part of the reason it's taken so long to come to trial is because of all the "trust" issues she's had with every former attorney.

Just a thought....

Good thought.
You know she will write another letter soon.
If I were her Grandmother I would have a talking to her and cut her off if she
did not straighten up.
I cannot wait for this trial to get started already!

Just a thought....

BBM. She reminds me of the gals that have a series of ****** relationships and never stop to realize that maybe, just maybe, the problem is not "all these jerks", but them. Sigh. :banghead:

Good thought.
You know she will write another letter soon.
If I were her Grandmother I would have a talking to her and cut her off if she
did not straighten up.
I cannot wait for this trial to get started already!

Sorry, I haven't been able to keep up with this, and I'm still really new! I don't want to annoy anyone, but what's up with EJ's grandmother? Is she standing by her? I've been waiting & watching for this to finally come to trial, & was so appreciative following along TS's here! I joined during Drew Peterson's trial last month, just found I HAD to vent somewhere!! Thanks again to all of you who keep us up with so much info! Will this be on In Session? I was able to watch alot of TS's on an Arizona station but don't have the link for it anymore! Thanks in advance for any help with this, :websleuther: websleuthers are the greatest!!

Sorry, I haven't been able to keep up with this, and I'm still really new! I don't want to annoy anyone, but what's up with EJ's grandmother? Is she standing by her? I've been waiting & watching for this to finally come to trial, & was so appreciative following along TS's here! I joined during Drew Peterson's trial last month, just found I HAD to vent somewhere!! Thanks again to all of you who keep us up with so much info! Will this be on In Session? I was able to watch alot of TS's on an Arizona station but don't have the link for it anymore! Thanks in advance for any help with this, :websleuther: websleuthers are the greatest!!

Welcome!! You are not annoying anyone.
I do not know why the Grandmother is standing by her.
Maybe guilt. Only I do not think she needs to feel any.
Or feels sorry for her. Who knows
but if I were paying for her legal team I would tell
her to straighten up she is only hurting herself.

Yes it will be on In Sessions, I do not know if it will be live
or playing one day behind.
It will be an interesting trial.
We will never know one day to the next if she will shoe.
Unless she has that shock belt on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back