914 users online (158 members and 756 guests)  

Websleuths News

Prince Harry 'sorry' about Nazi costume

LONDON -- The grandson of Queen Elizabeth II apologized Wednesday night after a tabloid printed a picture of him wearing a Nazi soldier's uniform to a fancy dress party.

Early editions of Thursday's issue of "The Sun," showed Prince Harry, the second son of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana, clutching a cigarette and a drink and wearing a swastika armband.

The newspaper said the 20-year-old prince had attended a bad taste party in the uniform of a fascist soldier.

Full Story with pic

What the h#ll was he thinking???

Why didn't anyone stop him?????
    I mean dressing as a nazi for "fun" is in poor taste/judgement but for someone so in the public eye...............I'm just baffled by this.He went to Oxford right?
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

I thought some costumes were supposed to be scary. That sounds about as scary as you can get.

What is it with people hating things so much that they like to pretend they never existed? Nazis existed, and dressing up as one for a costume party does not glorify them by any extent. They are a part of history, and as such should not be swept under the rug, but learned from. Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it, to paraphrase. If it was an Historical Heroes themed party, I could see the uproar.
    Just the facts, Ma'am.

hmm

The thing that gets me is that it was a bad taste party. Judging from the uproar, I hope he won. :P

While I can understand the reason people are upset, I have to admit I don't share the feeling. It was a bad taste party, he wore a costuem he thought was in 'bad taste'. Doesn't that mean he feels Nazi are not good things. Maybe they should be congratulating him on thinking Nazi's are in bad taste rather than yelling at him.

Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back.

I actually cannot see the big deal. It was a bunch of young people doing stupid things like we all did... albeit, I've never dressed as a nazi. But to have this world wide exposure and have him now go on a tour to be more sensitive of the jewish? This is way out of proportion, in my opinion.

How does wearing a "bad taste costume" make him insensitive to what happened?! If he dressed up as boy george, would we have a world wide gay uproar and make him tour gay clubs?

He was wrong, but he didn't deserve world wide media on this.

Quote Originally Posted by blueclouds
    I actually cannot see the big deal. It was a bunch of young people doing stupid things like we all did... albeit, I've never dressed as a nazi. But to have this world wide exposure and have him now go on a tour to be more sensitive of the jewish? This is way out of proportion, in my opinion.

How does wearing a "bad taste costume" make him insensitive to what happened?! If he dressed up as boy george, would we have a world wide gay uproar and make him tour gay clubs?

He was wrong, but he didn't deserve world wide media on this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

Peoplw who are considered royalty and who live in palaces and take part in government are supposed to be more carefull than the average person is. Harry should have realized that it would be innapropriate for any member of his family to wear a nazi uniform even to a bad taste party or even as a joke. We were not attacked by nazi germany but England most certainly was. I doubt that people who live through the bombing in England and the death camps in Europe would find it acceptable that Harry thought the costume would be funny or amusing to wear. He has the benifits of being a "royal" he needs to accept that it comes with the price of behaving with more dignity than the average teen.

I don't think it will hurt him one bit to formally appologize.