1203 users online (239 members and 964 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    metro Detroit, more or less
    Posts
    2,821

    US Ambassador to Libya killed

    http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/12/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

    Stevens was the first U.S. ambassador to be killed in an attack since 1979.

    I have read elsewhere that his body was paraded through town. Revolting.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,801
    So now we are scurrying to get some Marines in place. Why wasnt that building protected already?
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    metro Detroit, more or less
    Posts
    2,821
    http://www.nationaljournal.com/natio...libya-20120912

    The Americans were targeted in an attack in their car, trying to move to a safer venue away from the violent protests that erupted at the U.S. Consulate, Reuters reported. Stevens died of suffocation, while the three other personnel were killed by gunshot wounds, CBS News reports.

    ***********I don't understand - he was suffocated while the others were shot??

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,333
    From what I heard the bldg. was set on fire. He died from smoke inhalation (suffocation).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Left Coast USA
    Posts
    8,843
    CBS News is reporting that the attack seems to have been a planned terrorist attack, planned for Sept 11th. There will be more info, I am sure.

    The use of rocket launchers was a kind of clue to me that this wasn't just a little civilian uprising or demonstration.

    Earlier today, KGO TV reported that Stevens was a native of The Bay Area. He went to Cal Berkeley and to Hastings Law. He spoke fluent Arabic, was one of only a few who were considered experts on Libya. He loved Libya and it's people.

    KGO reported that he was killed while attempting to rescue other Embassy people.

    For those who might be interested in Steven A. Klein (whether his film played a part or not) you can learn more about him here:

    http://www.splcenter.org/get-informe...stian-soldiers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,066
    50 virginia marines headed to libya

    http://www.wavy.com/dpp/military/vir...eaded-to-libya

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Beautiful Great Lakes!!
    Posts
    693
    So, let me get this straight.

    Due to a movie made in the USA and posted on the internet that was perceived to insult the prophet Mohammed, the Muslims responded with violence.

    I keep hearing Islam is a 'peaceful' religion. Really?

    This outrages me. This man give his life for the Libyan people. Guess that doesn't count for much to the peaceful Muslims.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Only4Justice View Post
    So, let me get this straight.

    Due to a movie made in the USA and posted on the internet that was perceived to insult the prophet Mohammed, the Muslims responded with violence.

    I keep hearing Islam is a 'peaceful' religion. Really?

    This outrages me. This man give his life for the Libyan people. Guess that doesn't count for much to the peaceful Muslims.

    The one-billion Muslims on the planet did not take a vote on whether to attack the U.S. ambassador.

    Did you read i.b.nora's link? If we pick and choose our examples, Christianity is a pretty violent religion, too.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Beautiful Great Lakes!!
    Posts
    693
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    The one-billion Muslims on the planet did not take a vote on whether to attack the U.S. ambassador.

    Did you read i.b.nora's link? If we pick and choose our examples, Christianity is a pretty violent religion, too.
    I agree with you, Nova, Christianity is just (if not more) violent in its history.

    I'm going to read the link. I just find it so hard to believe that a movie on the internet caused people their lives.

    Us Americans are so hated all around the world. It's scary.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sunny Side of Life
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by peeples View Post
    50 virginia marines headed to libya

    http://www.wavy.com/dpp/military/vir...eaded-to-libya
    We should have already had more security in place on the anniversary of 9-11, imo. Does anyone know how secure our American Diplomats are in other countries? I was just wandering if they have personal bodyguards and if so how many? I would think that knowing terrorists love nothing more than to kill Americans, we would have TEAMS of security for OUR own people. IMOO


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Only4Justice View Post
    I agree with you, Nova, Christianity is just (if not more) violent in its history.

    I'm going to read the link. I just find it so hard to believe that a movie on the internet caused people their lives.

    Us Americans are so hated all around the world. It's scary.
    I think we have to remember how literally Islam (and until a couple of centuries ago, Judaism) took the commandment re graven images:

    Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
    For centuries, Islam banned all theater and all forms of representational art. So there were no paintings of people or animals; only abstract, geometric shapes were allowed in many Muslim countries. This is still true in some areas.

    So the idea of representational art as symbolic and merely a mode of personal expression doesn't have a strong history in many Muslim countries. And such areas would have little experience with the concept of protest art or satire (though, frankly, it doesn't sound like the film in question was that sophisticated, anyway).

    I am NOT defending murderous mobs. I think it's time all of Islam is dragged into the 21st century. But then, I feel the same about Christianity.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckyswife View Post
    We should have already had more security in place on the anniversary of 9-11, imo. Does anyone know how secure our American Diplomats are in other countries? I was just wandering if they have personal bodyguards and if so how many? I would think that knowing terrorists love nothing more than to kill Americans, we would have TEAMS of security for OUR own people. IMOO
    Details are still sketchy, but to me it read as if there was a security team and an evacuation plan they were trying to execute. But the terrorists took advantage of the public protest as a distraction to get to the Americans.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Left Coast USA
    Posts
    8,843
    Blame anarchy for Benghazi

    Libyans are overwhelmingly pro-American. So how did Tuesday's attack occur?
    By MURTAZA HUSSAIN

    "After leading a massive international air campaign to rescue the Libyan revolution from Moammar Gadhafi, Americans were understandably shocked and appalled to wake up to news that extremist militants had stormed the U.S. embassy in Benghazi and murdered Ambassador Chris Stevens as well as three embassy support staff. Contrary to what this incident seems to suggest, Libyans are not anti-American, and indeed are one of the most staunchly pro-American constituencies in the Middle East and North Africa."

    Much more...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,066
    U.S. officials say the Pentagon is moving 2 warships toward Libyan coast.

    http://www.wavy.com/dpps/news/world_...-libya_4543869

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,066
    BREAKING: The AP is reporting two Norfolk-based warships are heading for Libya - the USS McFaul and the USS Laboon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast