BSL - PSYCH EVAL, 08 Aug 2012 (released 09-12-12)

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
A psychological evaluation of Brandon Scott Lavergne, the man convicted in August of killing Mickey Shunick and Lisa Pate, reveals he was hospitalized at age 15 for treatment of anger and depression and has a history of physical abuse and molestation.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...n-released?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

BSL Psychological Report, downloadable PDF

A day after Brandon Scott Lavergne led investigators to the body of Mickey Shunick in exchange for his life, the 33-year-old registered sex offender and convicted killer of two Acadiana women told a criminal psychologist that he was subjected to “chronic childhood physical abuse” by his adoptive father and “multiple instances of molestation by a teenaged female babysitter” as a toddler.

http://www.theind.com/news/indreporter/11393-psych-eval-details-lavergnes-troubled-history

Attachments

• BSL PSYCH EVAL2.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 78
Mr. Lavergne's clinical profile is suggestive of an extroverted, over active, impulsive and selfindulgent
individual. Patients with similar profiles are usually seen as hostile and superficial.
Fluctuating morals and poor conscience development are common. Quite impulsive, they show
poor judgement, often acting without considering the consequences of their acts, and they fail to
learn from experience. They harbor intense feelings of anger and hostility, and these feelings get
expressed in occasional emotional outbursts. Similar patients typically show flagrant excesses in
their search for pleasure and self-stimulation. Suspiciousness, distrust, brooding, and resentment
may be characteristic.

No surprises here.

Does anyone think it's odd that in the psych evaluation, Brandon noted having suicidal thoughts as recently as May 2012?
Okay, so he had thoughts of suicide prior to murdering Mickey... But not after? Did his depression end after he got a taste of killing again or what?

Just very strange to me.
I wonder if he had those "suicidal thoughts" when he wasn't able to soothe his want to kill someone.

Also, he was "Tearful" when thinking of events that lead to his arrest.
Rather than "tearful" thinking of murdering Mickey, and describing so to the family.

Does anyone think it's odd that in the psych evaluation, Brandon noted having suicidal thoughts as recently as May 2012?
Okay, so he had thoughts of suicide prior to murdering Mickey... But not after? Did his depression end after he got a taste of killing again or what?

Just very strange to me.
I wonder if he had those "suicidal thoughts" when he wasn't able to soothe his want to kill someone.

Rather than "tearful" thinking of murdering Mickey, and describing so to the family.

Suicidal ideation in the period preceding Mickey's murder could be an indicator of his emotional state that led to the killing. With certain serial criminals, episodes of emotional turmoil, high stress and depression trigger the crimes. This goes along with the snip I posted earlier regarding impulsiveness, harbored anger, emotional outbursts, and a disconnect between actions and consequences. IMO

As an RN who worked at Whitfield MS (State Psychiatric Hospital), I worked on a child and adolescent unit with kids 5-17. I say that to say this..... I worked with kids who were burned with cigarettes by their parents, beat, verbally abused, sexually abused..... Some kids were truly psychotic but they were the worst of the abused. They were there for murdering parents or grandparents during a psychotic episode.
The other children that were "beat" and molested by step parents or boyfriends of mothers.... They acted out sexually and did bizarre things (ie killed or tortured animals).
A great number of the kids are now functioning well in society.
So all this leading to my opinion on his psych eval.
1. I truly believe he is every bit as bizarre as it sounds.
2. I think what happens to us as children marks us for our future but the future doesn't have to be filled with heartless hatred.
3. If Brandon is this screwed up now from his childhood, then he had to have been showing MAJOR trouble/warning signs as a pre-teen/teen. It didn't just click at 15. I think those records of previous therapy and/or evals would truly be enlightening.
4. These kinds of people are the reason I'm such a huge advocate for children in general. In many cases I personally dealt with, the kids had family that loved them (extended often) but it was not about feeling unloved... They were in effect trained not to feel anything towards anyone. A defense mechanism if you will.... BUT even they were able over time to be rehabilitated.
5. Being adopted is no excuse and shame on the "adoptive mother" for that even coming up! My daughters are adopted and come hades or high water they are MY children. You raise kids and love them and teach them that being adopted makes them special in God's eyes bc they were hand selected not shunned for being different!?!? In other words, we are a product of our environment to a degree. My thoughts are once a person gets to the point of feeling NOTHING.... The psych eval we are reading with BSL is just a photo copy of some other evil deviant's eval.

As my Dad would say: When the tailgate drops the BS stops!

Time to drop the tailgate..... Like every other serial killer we have read about... Once they cross the line ... They don't feel anything BAD if anything at all.... It's evil and Satan at work... No ifs ands or buts about it.

He's emotionless and heartless and probably lying in his cell trying to figure out how to get his next sadistic "1 up" game going.

Piece of work this one!!!
Nothing surprising at all though.... Read it once... Read it a million times! Same story different page.

On a more sleuth worthy note... I sent his eval to a criminal profiler that had reviewed this case and had said she would like to see what a psych eval would say.... So I forwarded it to her and asked for her professional take on the matter. I will post as soon as I get a response!

RN2Mom: Thank you for your input! I am with you on the "The psych eval we are reading with BSL is just a photo copy of some other evil deviant's eval."

I wonder how long it took BSL to reveal his "alibi" aka psyche eval. with the Clinical psychologist. (one session or more?) Like his cold, calculated maneuvers to perform his evil acts, he has had plenty of time to prepare a plan of action should he ever get caught.

Because something horrible may have happened to him in his past, that does not give him a free pass to "one up it" in his future - shame on him! :maddening:

RN2Mom: Would a child know/remember molestation at such a young age of 3 yrs old? Just curious :waitasec:

Just very strange to me.

Very interesting! Did it say he was suicidal before abducting Mickey? I didn't see where they gave a timeline other than to say May.

Is there anyone that can verify his adoptive father was paranoid schizophrenic?

Just bringing this over from Keiosha Felix's thread - Lafayette Police Dept. is asking for the public's help identifying a man in surveillence pictures who may know where missing 15 year-old Duson girl Keiosha Felix is.

http://www.fox44.com/news/sheriff-we...-keiosha-felix

The community came together to help bring Mickey's abductor to light. South Louisiana WS members, please spread the word and get as many people viewing this pic as possible so we can bring Keiosha home!

I read the report and kept wondering what the POI (Perceptual Organization Index) on which BSL scored 99.9% was. I looked the phrase up, and it seemed to be terminology that's becoming outdated. Here's what one site (http://www.psychpage.com/learning/library/intell/wais_history.html ) said about POI:

This is the second most reliable Index [second to Verbal Comprehension]. The Perceptual Organization Index is a measure of non-verbal and in-the-moment reasoning. It assesses ability to examine a problem, draw upon visual-motor and visual-spatial skills, organize thoughts, create solutions, and then test them. It can also tap preferences for visual information, comfort with novel and unexpected situations, or a preference to learn by doing.

I find this interesting in a creepy way. Could this mean that the situations he created in his criminal activities presented interesting and ultimately satisfying challenges for him? If so, what a waste of a talent that could have been put to productive uses.

Any psych experts out there that can shed more light on this? :what:

Thank you.

:banghead:
Suicidal ideation in the period preceding Mickey's murder could be an indicator of his emotional state that led to the killing. With certain serial criminals, episodes of emotional turmoil, high stress and depression trigger the crimes. This goes along with the snip I posted earlier regarding impulsiveness, harbored anger, emotional outbursts, and a disconnect between actions and consequences. IMO

So could he have been fighting with mixed emotions regarding his stepfather being ill/in the hospital? I wonder how severe his condition was. I would imagine there was a love/hate relationship there. Especially IF he was abused by him.

Is there anyone that can verify his adoptive father was paranoid schizophrenic?

Maybe GarryB or someguy could?

I think one of them said to the best of their knowledge, BSL's adoptive parents never abused him (not that extended family always knows of abuse, but hey). It seems like something that would be easy enough to check up on so I wonder if BSL would be stupid enough to lie about it to the psychiatrist. (Okay, yeah, he probably would be).

I kind of wonder about it because from what I know of adoptions (recently, at least), when a couple is adopting an infant (especially in-high-demand white American infants), adoption agencies will often sleuth the heck out of the adoptive family. I'm not sure how well you can hide paranoid schizophrenia in multiple interviews, home visits, questionarres that may ask about mental health, interviews with your friends & family, etc (I have seen some adoptive couples go through this). Bio-parents are looking for the family that will give their child the best possible life. I probably wouldn't want to send my child to be raised around a paranoid schizophrenic. That doesn't sound like a great environment in which to grow up.

I know of a couple who tried to adopt an infant through a couple of private, faith-based adoption agencies. The husband had dissasociative identity disorder (perviously known as multiple personalities), and the adoption agencies flat-out rejected him when this came to light. They ended up fostering an older child from the state instead of adopting and eventually had their own bio children.

I am not sure if these practices were as common for adoption agencies when BSL was an infant, though. Or if his bio-parents went through an adoption agency or if they knew his adopted parents somehow & arranged the adoption that way.

Can onyone verify his abuse stories? Something about his saying that seems so textbook to me.
Sorry if I already asked

Can onyone verify his abuse stories? Something about his saying that seems so textbook to me.
Sorry if I already asked
Small town, Church Point, knows the stories, kkdj. IMO, without verification here...comments to your post, only qualify as rumor. Hearsay.

In the first paragraph describing his mental status, I find it very telling of his personality and those like him. "though he became tearful when discussing events leading to his arrest." Not tearful over his actions, tearful over getting arrested.

I read the report and kept wondering what the POI (Perceptual Organization Index) on which BSL scored 99.9% was. I looked the phrase up, and it seemed to be terminology that's becoming outdated. Here's what one site (http://www.psychpage.com/learning/library/intell/wais_history.html ) said about POI:

This is the second most reliable Index [second to Verbal Comprehension]. The Perceptual Organization Index is a measure of non-verbal and in-the-moment reasoning. It assesses ability to examine a problem, draw upon visual-motor and visual-spatial skills, organize thoughts, create solutions, and then test them. It can also tap preferences for visual information, comfort with novel and unexpected situations, or a preference to learn by doing.

I find this interesting in a creepy way. Could this mean that the situations he created in his criminal activities presented interesting and ultimately satisfying challenges for him? If so, what a waste of a talent that could have been put to productive uses.

Thank you.

Best I could make of it is it means he'd be good at a Rubik's cube. I could see that translating to his criminal activities though. Visualizing his predicament and what needs to be done to get out of it.

RN2Mom: Would a child know/remember molestation at such a young age of 3 yrs old? Just curious :waitasec:[/QUOTE]

This is a hard question to answer with a simple yes or no.
Yes IF it was discussed on a repeated basis. If the child is made to discuss it or relive it if you will over and over. Then likely they remember more the discussion and less the actual act.

No is my overall answer because at 3 they aren't able to see it as a horrific criminal act. They feel the violation and shame somehow and often show distrust, acting out in aggressive type behaviors (outbursts of yelling, hitting or simply defiance) - you see this as their way of releasing what they feel or felt. Over time they are likely to forget the actual molestation and can only remember discussions (in other words what they have heard people say about it)..... of course this all in the assumption that the molestation stopped at age 3.

Typically in the court system and with psychologist/therapist you will find that they all mandate that the act not be discussed at all with the child and focus on coping mechanisms with expressing their feelings now. For example, they will have anger and not know or understand why. You don't pity them and let them off of the hook because this horrific thing happened to them....you suck it up and hold them to the fire just like any other child (lovingly of course) but you teach them to express it in not aggressive ways.......drawing pictures.....playing with dolls and pretending whatever they want to pretend.....(you often get alot more out of what they remember that way).

They usually don't want to "tell on so-in-so because they don't want to get them in trouble" because they love the person (family member) and think they are wrong for telling.

Saying all of that .....I actually had one of my girls at the age of almost 3 molested in the house of here adoptive father reportedly by another child and reportedly her adoptive father. Her exact words "mommy, my tooty hurts....so-in-so put her finger in my tooty and so did daddy". There was physical evidence - oozing and her word. Enough for me. We headed to the ER and the whole storm started. Now to this day she still goes to her adoptive father's house because of our great justice system (SUCKS)....but my true thoughts is that it was probably just the other kid and she said Daddy too so the kid wouldn't get "in trouble". Because of who he is, I got accused of "Parental Alienation" for bringing his butt to court....they interviewed her and they asked her why she told the doctors the story and she said "Mommy said to tell them"....well, of course I did....tell them what happened so they can keep you safe. It was a big old fight against Satan himself but we won the battle.

She is 9 now and happy - loves her Daddy and even the little girl...but it was brought out and STOPPED! She wasn't reminded of it ever after that....but went thru some acting out phases....She is completely a normal loving little girl with a very happy productive life. To that note.....she is reminded often that she can tell me anything ever and I will always believe her and keep her safe. Nobody but NOBODY hurts my baby! She feels safe. And to answer you question....she doesn't remember anything.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

I do not consider myself a psych expert but I am an RN with lots of psych experience and was married to a Child Psychologist for almost 9 years....so I have some knowledge.
Here goes:
Perceptual organization is the ability to take in visual, auditory and sensory information and use that information effectively to accomplish a task.
With kids and adults for that matter....they use it with a series of tests to score a persons intelligence and mental capacity.
A score of 124 on POI is a gifted child or person - highly intelligent.
A score of 62 is Mild Mental Retardation.

Simply stating - He's intelligent and calculated. Can look at a situation and well see all outcomes and reason out ways to get to the solution with least resistance and yes, learns from doing. Gets better the more the task is done.

Of course, this is just my opinion.........I'm again....no expert....just had alot of experience. BTW it's typical with any highly intelligent person....they fly under the radar by not showing their intelligence to get away with their actions. Trust me, you meet my ex husband you wouldn't think him to be a child psychologist. Just some nerd that is really into sports statistics.....but quite a calculating man and will use every string and tool he can to get his way....including corrupt politicians. So...... it's a pretty accurate way to measure logistical intelligence (My ex score 104).....if that tells you anything.

Hope this helps.

Maybe GarryB or someguy could?

I think one of them said to the best of their knowledge, BSL's adoptive parents never abused him (not that extended family always knows of abuse, but hey). It seems like something that would be easy enough to check up on so I wonder if BSL would be stupid enough to lie about it to the psychiatrist. (Okay, yeah, he probably would be).

I kind of wonder about it because from what I know of adoptions (recently, at least), when a couple is adopting an infant (especially in-high-demand white American infants), adoption agencies will often sleuth the heck out of the adoptive family. I'm not sure how well you can hide paranoid schizophrenia in multiple interviews, home visits, questionarres that may ask about mental health, interviews with your friends & family, etc (I have seen some adoptive couples go through this). Bio-parents are looking for the family that will give their child the best possible life. I probably wouldn't want to send my child to be raised around a paranoid schizophrenic. That doesn't sound like a great environment in which to grow up.

I know of a couple who tried to adopt an infant through a couple of private, faith-based adoption agencies. The husband had dissasociative identity disorder (perviously known as multiple personalities), and the adoption agencies flat-out rejected him when this came to light. They ended up fostering an older child from the state instead of adopting and eventually had their own bio children.

I am not sure if these practices were as common for adoption agencies when BSL was an infant, though. Or if his bio-parents went through an adoption agency or if they knew his adopted parents somehow & arranged the adoption that way.

To comment on one the first regarding knowledge of his abuse....it would take getting information from the family or a close reliable friend or acquaintance because they seal all childrens records regarding abuse (especially sexual abuse) from the public....well, these days anyway.

As far as adoption, I'm an expert! hahaha Both my babies are adopted. One was adopted since birth (she was the one molested at almost 3).....we used a private attorney but we researched every option from Catholic Agencies to out of state to out of country and one consistent thing is that you are checked out in everyway possible except strip searched. They get your background from background checks, you must provide 5-10 personal references who are mailed questionaires that ask very detailed and specific questions regarding your personality and traits and they must give examples and specific situations to back up their "opinion". It's no easy task...... if they went through the state system I would guess it would be the same.....but directly from one parent to the other(chosen if you will)....then probably nothing done except paperwork.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taylor Sage
Back