1291 users online (200 members and 1091 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.

UK - Julia Wallace, 69, Liverpool, 20 Jan 1931

The murder of Julia Wallace in Liverpool, England on January 20 of 1931 is one of the most fascinating murder mysteries of all time. Her husband, William, was convicted and condemned to hang but this conviction was reversed and he was set free. Was an acquaintance of the Wallaces actually the perpetrator in this brutal crime or someone else or did the police have it right from the start? Full of many twists, it is worthy of a great crime novel - except it's true!
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

An excellent true-crime movie The Man From the Pru is about case. It is more from the point of view that Wallace was innocent although it leaves the door open that he wasn't.

Stan Reid

The Wiki article is also weighted in favor of Wallace's innocence, something I no longer agree with.

Stan Reid

The key is, who was R. M. Qualtrough?

Stan Reid

With the possible exception of some of the children who witnessed the milk boy Alan Close making a delivery to Mrs. Wallace shortly before her murder, all the principals in the case are deceased. Close, who was 14 at the time, was killed in the Second World War.

Stan Reid

This case is featured in the first book of Charlaine Harris' 'Aurora Teagarden' series. I looked it up after reading the book and it's an interesting one for sure. I'm not sure what I believe. I tend to be on the side of, check the nearest & dearest first.

The first I heard of the case was a single paragraph in the 1980 edition of The Book of Lists #2. It was #8 on Colin Wilson's 10 Strangest Unsolved Murders in History.

Stan Reid

I actually don't see it as strange. I kind of feel like if the resources today were available we'd know for sure who did it; or at least a firm yes/no on Wallace himself. That's really sad for Julia.

do you have any links?

A Google of Wallace case 1931 produces a myriad of sources.

The house where the murder occurred at 29 Wolverton Street still exists and is occupied.

Stan Reid

When William Wallace married Julia Dennis in 1914, it was thought that she was slightly younger than him. In reality, she was 17 years older. It is unclear if Mr. Wallace knew this.

Stan Reid

She about to turn 70 when she was slain.

Stan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    When William Wallace married Julia Dennis in 1914, it was thought that she was slightly younger than him. In reality, she was 17 years older. It is unclear if Mr. Wallace knew this.
    Unclear if he knew this? Could that have been a reason? I agree the Wiki page is weighted in Mr Wallace's favour. Would love to know what makes you doubt his innocence Stan. I havent read much about it but just have no idea like most people!

I have wondered if he might have found out about her real age and felt that she'd cheated him out of the chance to have a family. That's probably not it but it certainly could have been a factor.

That movie infers that they were both having affairs (him with his sister-in-law and her with that young buck Gordon Parry) but that is speculation without any real evidence.

The reason I changed to thinking that Wallace did it is because the neighbor heard the milk boy knock right before Wallace left but heard no one knock later. If Parry or someone else had knocked later (which is how that theory goes), wouldn't the neighbor have heard that also? The man who tried to incriminate Parry was also a bit jealous of him so some question his account of events.

I believe there were two new books on the case that came out this year and another is set for release next year.

Stan Reid

Was Julia insured ?
    BTW I watched the film 'The man from the Pru' and enjoyed it, can't remember if it covered Julia being insured or not.
    Lots of stuff around the time about insurance and fraud, a quick way to make a fast buck or two or a quick way to incriminate somebody.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast